Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Can I be unbanned from OOT?

[ QUOTE ]

When was the last time we did a thread about up-and-coming OOT posters? I think putting the spotlight on some newer posters might encourage more to contribute. Also, not scaring them off would help too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hells yeah, I'll get the lube cause its circle jerk time!!!!
Old 10-24-2007, 06:08 PM

.Alex.,

This is not a diss, but your main OOT contribution will always be this to me. That whole thread actually, starting with the OP. It was a who's who of OOT posters coming out of the woodwork to tell you it's a bad idea. Did she really pay you back or did you just say that to get everyone off your back? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2007, 06:09 PM

Noah, you're not new anymore so no one will jerk you off. You were my favorite two star poster though.

I'd hope that a thread like that wouldn't degenerate into a duplicate of the underrated posters thread, or a top 3 OOT posters you'd want to meet, or any other circle jerk type thread.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:14 PM

skunk,

we need a wealthy OOT benefactor that gives out hundred dollar bills for good OPs in OOT.

i will ship $1 on stars to anyone that has posted in this thread that starts a cool thread in OOT in the next week.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just in a pissy mood today. My hack work in this thread wasn't meant to be a bitchfest between NT and I, but more of an observation that there aren't any new posters filling in the holes from older vets posting less frequently, hence lower volume + less quality. We all have our own theories on why this might be, I'm sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

first of all i don't think the quality has gone down as much as some people think. there have always been a ton of terrible threads in OOT. we haven't had some of the real great shooting star awesomeness type threads lately, but about 90% of the content is close to the same as always. it's just that there isn't drama for people to convince themselves that they're doing something other than killing time in an off-topic forum on the internet.

as far as the problem, to the extent that it exists, i agree. the attention span is shorter. part of that is fragmentation of forums. another part is younger demographic on the whole of 2p2. maybe a small part of it is even that people feel afraid to post in OOT. strangely, i hear that more often now that we have tried to tone things down than i did in the past. part of the reason for that is people going around ATF, BBV etc and spreading false or stupid info. so if you are going to complain constantly about OOT, well, that complaining is part of what's making it suck. if you actually care about it the first thing to do would be link people to GOOD threads and praise people who actually make good posts.

i don't buy the whole 'people don't get it because you don't explain it to them' aspect. first of all, i do explain it. our sticky is more detailed now than it ever was, and i spend a lot of time answering PMs about really obvious questions. second, [censored] didn't go around explaining his reasons for everything to people either. he basically said 'i do what i want.' people accepted this because they liked his judgment, and because there were a lot of good posters around to contribute.

the problem isn't that people don't understand the rules. the problem is that there are a lot of young, crappy posters on 2p2 that weren't here last year or the year before. that's it in a nutshell. the new forums and subforums have contributed to the dilution, but the overall fact of the matter is that OOT, and 2p2 as a whole, are totally different now than a year ago, and there's not a lot that any moderator can do about it.

it's like when new york media idiots give joe torre credit for winning four WS titles, but then blame him for losing in the playoffs for the next 7 years when he's been doing the exact same thing. interpreting his actions as being causative just gives you a better story, a compelling narrative with a single person to blame. the reality is that a lot of it is chance and variance, and a lot of it has to do with the people who are actually making the posts.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

When was the last time we did a thread about up-and-coming OOT posters? I think putting the spotlight on some newer posters might encourage more to contribute. Also, not scaring them off would help too.

[/ QUOTE ]

this may have gotten lost in that long post i just made, but YOU, skunkworks, and people like you, are the ones scaring people out of OOT. there are a lot of potential OOT posters who think they will get banned as soon as they set foot in the forum, because people like you post here and act like that's what happens. they're not reading the forum, reading the rules and deciding not to post. they're reading ATF or BBV and saying 'wow that sounds scary, f that.'
Old 10-24-2007, 06:52 PM

tuq,

She did pay me back. I know how that post sounds, but that was partly because I was ashamed to admit that you guys were somewhat right in that it was a hassle getting it back and partly because I wanted that thread to die because I acted like such a dumbass in it. I certainly deserve to be dissed for that!

[ QUOTE ]

i don't buy the whole 'people don't get it because you don't explain it to them' aspect. first of all, i do explain it. our sticky is more detailed now than it ever was, and i spend a lot of time answering PMs about really obvious questions. second, [censored] didn't go around explaining his reasons for everything to people either. he basically said 'i do what i want.' people accepted this because they liked his judgment, and because there were a lot of good posters around to contribute.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I think this was one of the main problems people had with [censored] too. There really should be an expectation that every time a mod takes an action against a poster, they should send a quick PM to them with an explanation. It's not that hard, it would decrease the whining in ATF (yes, I know some might consider that a bad thing), and it would hopefully help the poster understand what they did wrong. Yes, I know you have the all caps sticky, but seriously, when you go to a different message board and click on a forum, do you always read the sticky first, or do you go into threads right away and start reading and responding? I'm just saying that there's a lot of people new to poker, 2p2, and message boards that they don't know about the proper tone of the forum (after all, that's what hapenned to me in that thread) or wtf a sticky even is, and I think we should give these people a few chances to get it right without pushing them away.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i will ship $1 on stars to anyone that has posted in this thread that starts a cool thread in OOT in the next week.

[/ QUOTE ]
Deal. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2007, 06:57 PM

when someone gets banned, there is a reason which refers to the sticky and the relevant rule in the notice. so if you care about not getting banned again, it is very easy to click on the sticky and find out. however, a lot of people are whiny bitches who would rather come to ATF and say 'omg i got banned for no reason!!!!'

to which we respond, 'actually there is a reason, which you were given and neglected to read / understand.'
Old 10-24-2007, 06:59 PM

I wasn't just talking about banning, but also locking, editing, and deleting posts and threads. Shouldn't be a big deal to send a quick one-line PM.