Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2007, 03:05 PM

Default Re: I\'m going to train homeless people to make a living playing poker

how much action you willing to give on the bet you succeed?
Old 08-04-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yah cause im sure homeless guys will have no problem avoiding gambling addiction and thinking/behaving rationally at all times

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not like i'm going to pick anybody off the street. they will be hand picked for success

[/ QUOTE ]

The percent of homeless people who are really decent, smart people who are homeless entirely due to crazy circumstances and not self-destructive behavior they would almost certainly repeat if given a second chance = <1%.

The people who become homeless genuinely due to terrible circumstances find a way out. They go stay with friends of family until they get back on their feet. Or they go to one of several shelters in almost every city that puts out an incredible amount of time, effort and money to help these kinda people help themselves.

Imagine if tomorrow you were suddenly on the street and totally broke for some reason, wouldn't you have a zillion ideas on how to start getting your life back, even from the very worst of situations (eg: zero help from friends or family)? Drugs and/or mental illness keep the homeless that way, not society.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good points and sums up basically what I said in the thread in SSNL. Homeless people are homeless for a reason, as messed up as that sounds. They usually have serious mental problems, as well as drug and alcohol addictions. Most of these guys are in no condition to play poker. And really, most of these guys just aren't that smart.

Like Tagtastic said, most rational people who are broke go to live with family until they can get back on their feet. Sleeping in a cardboard box in an alley is when you've hit rock bottom.

Like I said Snowbank, try this out with some friends or people you know who are not well off and could use the money outlet that poker provides and are smart enough to do so. If that works out, then maybe you could try to get some guy off the street who you think could do it. I would be extremely careful however, 97% of homeless people probably aren't qualified to do this if not more.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:34 PM

i think you are seriously underestimating how hard it is to learn consistent winning poker on the net.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:36 PM

the chances that you find ten worthwhile homeless people before being knifed/raped by one of the degenerates are very slim. Keep us updated!
Old 08-04-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Poor single mothers.

[/ QUOTE ]
MILF FTW!!
Old 08-04-2007, 05:19 PM

snowbank is a close friend of mine. With that said, this idea is [censored] terrible. The fact that people are even wasting their time explaining why this idea sucks is funny to me.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:23 PM

seriously, this is the worst idea i have heard for at least 2 years. almost all players playing poker lose, you wont make the world any better if you suggest more people playing it. you could make a point if they would actually win and take money from rich people who dont need it, but at first you dont know if the people they get the money from dont need it and secondly the majority of people you will try to teach will not win at poker and they will just go down further in their misery.
i hope this was meant as a joke.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is great stuff, looooool
Old 08-04-2007, 05:35 PM

Worst idea ever. On so many levels, most of which are already mentioned.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:21 PM

Part of me still really hopes he goes through with it, just because the term bumbot really rolls off the tongue