Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2007, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Ask me about being a FIFA-certified soccer referee

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is the biggest game you have ever reffed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hartlepool United U-19s of England

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol all credibility goes out of the window here. You may aswell have reffed junior high tbh.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW Dallas Cup is one of the biggest and most prestigious youth tournaments in the world. Solid brag by the OP, you obviously have no idea what you are talking about so quit trolling.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Ask me about being a FIFA-certified soccer referee

Microbob

your situation is tough to say, although I'd say that your goalie should just catch the ball next time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

ps i'm a goalie myself
Old 09-29-2007, 02:28 PM

Default Re: micro

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For example: A player in an offside position is standing at the top of the penalty box. His teammate plays a ball to the opposite corner of the field and a defender runs over and attempts to clear it. The defender takes a big swing and shanks the ball off the side of his foot, and it rolls to the offside player who scores.

This goal won't stand. The player gained an advantage from being in his offisde position Even though the opposing team played the ball

Again, without all the specifics it's difficult to tell the correct call from the original question. Your assertion that "you can't be offside when the other team plays the ball" isn't nececssarily true.

Stak

[/ QUOTE ]

To give this as offside exactly as you describe would really be absymal refereeing.

Please, more common sense and less nitty rule interpretations for things like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree completely,

I'm all for "common-sense interpretations" of the rulebook, but in this case I want offside to be given.

As someone posted earlier, the "can't be offside when the other team plays the ball" is misused and misunderstood.

The situation I gave above is not "nitty rules interpretation." Players cannot be allowed to gain an advantage because of their offside position.

Stak
Old 09-29-2007, 02:32 PM

stak-

you are 100% wrong in the situation quoted in your post. the opposing team doesn't get to automatically move the puck back to the blue line in soccer

ty
Old 09-29-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
stak-

you are 100% wrong in the situation quoted in your post. the opposing team doesn't get to automatically move the puck back to the blue line in soccer

ty

[/ QUOTE ]

Then it might be a good idea to keep a player hanging out in the corner of the field (offside but not gaining an advantage), so that he can take advantage should the other team mishandle the ball.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
stak-

ty

[/ QUOTE ]

Then it might be a good idea to keep a player hanging out in the corner of the field (offside but not gaining an advantage), so that he can take advantage should the other team mishandle the ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 09-29-2007, 06:47 PM

have you ever been chased after by a bunch of angry south americans?
Old 09-29-2007, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For example: A player in an offside position is standing at the top of the penalty box. His teammate plays a ball to the opposite corner of the field and a defender runs over and attempts to clear it. The defender takes a big swing and shanks the ball off the side of his foot, and it rolls to the offside player who scores.

This goal won't stand. The player gained an advantage from being in his offisde position Even though the opposing team played the ball

Again, without all the specifics it's difficult to tell the correct call from the original question. Your assertion that "you can't be offside when the other team plays the ball" isn't nececssarily true.

Stak

[/ QUOTE ]

According to FIFA's Laws of the Game:

LAW 11 OFFSIDE
Decision 2

"The definitions of elements of involvement in active play are as follows...
...Gaining an advantage by being in that position means playing a ball that rebounds to him off a post or the crossbar having been in an offside position or playing a ball that rebounds to him off an opponent having been in an offside position." (emphasis added)

The Law only talks about "rebounding" off an opponent. Once an opponent plays the ball intentionally the qualifier that creates an offside offence (the ball touching or being played by a teammate) is gone. Thus, it reads like it should not be offside.

Plus "gaining an advantage" has a specific definition. It doesn't appear to be the literal "he was benefitted by being in an offside position".
Old 09-29-2007, 11:19 PM

An addendum to my previous post...

From the USSF Advice to Referees on the Laws of the Game:

11.6 GAINING AN ADVANTAGE

"Gaining an advantage by being in an offside position"...also means being near enough the play to capitalize immediately on a defender's mistake, having gained the advantage solely by being in the offside position. It is most often seen with situations where the ball rebounds from the crossbar, goalposts, or keeper (whose contact with the ball is not controlled).

[ QUOTE ]
...He was about 20 yds offside when they stole the ball at midfield so he made sure to just be walking casually back and not make any attempt to be a part of the play at all.

Attacking team then launches the ball...Our semi-incompetent goalie...muffs it...it deflects off him and the out-of-the-play player is able to step in and deflect it into the goal.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the referee determined that the keeper's contact with the ball was "controlled" then no offside. It doesn't sound like that's what MicroBob is describing. So, in this case, offside, no goal.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:46 PM

From the USSF Advice to Referees on the Laws of the Game:

11.6 GAINING AN ADVANTAGE

"Gaining an advantage by being in an offside position"...also means being near enough the play to capitalize immediately on a defender's mistake.

This was precisely what I was referring to in my example. That's why my example should be considered offside and no goal. Always nice being told I'm 100 percent wrong though.

Stak