Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Cover Design Contest

I just realized any of Ray Zee's friends could hand me my ass. Mr. Fromme it was just a joke sorry k. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2007, 03:51 PM

Zen's newest version of the SNG jacket is some hot [censored].

I do like White Rabbit's PNL cover now that is has color; it is simple yet intricate, and the way the title is set strikes me as especially well done, but I can't get past the impression I got on first glance: that it is very smiliar to Gonso's design. I certainly am not taking sides, as I have no connection with any entrant into this contest, but the right-aligned face card layout is undeniably what Gonso has presented since the outset of this design-off showdown.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do like White Rabbit's PNL cover now that is has color; it is simple yet intricate, and the way the title is set strikes me as especially well done, but I can't get past the impression I got on first glance: that it is very smiliar to Gonso's design. I certainly am not taking sides, as I have no connection with any entrant into this contest, but the right-aligned face card layout is undeniably what Gonso has presented since the outset of this design-off showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you brought this up. After I posted my entry, I also noticed the similarities. This is merely a coincedence. The ideas used for my design are entirely my own, and my entry would have been the same whether Gonso's came before mine or not. If you'll notice, RoxySurfer also had a similar idea, although the likeness isn't quite as close. Our ideas our similar. Our executions are entirely different. I hope you can understand.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:19 PM

I killed my Queen of Hearts cover on page one, so there's no problem with the card itself anymore. I also don't think copying is an issue, and using cards on a poker book has been done many times before.

However, seeing the covers colored now there is another issue... remember that per Mason's request I've had to lighten the colors and lose some contrast and much of the texture on my main king design, so the colors are similar (particularly the blue), and the card placement is obviously the same.

Honestly, I'm concerned that both designs look SO similar that Mason and co will not be able to consider using both. I mean we're really going to have some headaches when my covers go up because they're practially identical apart from the title and the particular card, so if there's any other ideas...
Old 06-11-2007, 05:16 AM

Hi Everyone:

Just a reminder that we only have a few more days for the contest to run. We think the covers look great and we look forward to seeing what else might come along.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 06-11-2007, 09:52 AM

Closer to the CMYK output:

-ZEN
Old 06-11-2007, 08:24 PM

Going to wrap these up tomorrow. I think I have a pretty good idea as to what's working and what isn't, just wanted to check in for some last-minute feedback. Keep in mind that I can't do any "major" changes at this point, if I'm to finish my other submissions. More like color suggestions, do I need the spine photo, basic layout, dead space ideas on back cover, that kind of thing.

I'm aware that I don't have the author's names on the cover, and that a couple measurement aren't exact, that's being taken care of at the moment.

I want to sneak a gun on the back cover in the upper right hand corner, or something.

Also, there will be no changes to the title or volume text either. I have this little loop thing I just spent way to much time on to f with.

Those other submissions look very sharp, particularly the Moshman with the clock. The title text seems a little crammed, esp the subtitle, how does it look if you flatten it a little? I was curious if you tried that with other colors besides green, too (I think that's because I just don' like green anyway). I def like the whole clock idea and it's still a very strong look as is though.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:16 PM

First, your covers will grace my living
room soon I hope, sir!

Second, Thank you so much for your kind
and honest critique. I was messing with red
today, but it looked like a horror novel!

I hope to have a variation or two before the
deadline; I'll play with the fonts as well.

MASON, et al: are there HiRes 2p2 logos avaiable
to incorporate or will Creel replace FPOs at the
prepress stage?

-ZEN
Old 06-11-2007, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
prepress stage?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can hook you up tomorrow morning with a hi-res 2+2 I did, I'm away from the house atm. Also thanks for your comments
Old 06-12-2007, 12:38 AM

Hi Zen:

[ QUOTE ]
prepress stage?

[/ QUOTE ]

Creel has all this stuff and they'll drop in what is necessary. In any case, our graphics person at Creel will work with the cover designer to handle this aspect of the cover.

Best wishes,
Mason
Closed Thread