Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Good Riddance.....He Backstabbed Conservatives

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'm wrong but Craig is being villified for not coming out of the closet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the married Senator is being vilified for consistently trumpeting "family values" while cruising public bathrooms for anonymous sexual encounters.

Hard for me to shed a tear when a married Senator trying to pick up the guy in the next stall for a quicky gets caught in a questionable sting by law enforcement while his political and ideological allies simultaneously make careers out of demonizing homosexuals for political gain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you been listening to Air America the last few days? He's being derided not only for being a hypocrit about his voting stances but he's also being derided for not being able to come out of the closet. The former seems to be legitimate, the latter seems very hateful to me. Maybe the latter is confined to Air America broadcasts only but I'm fairly certain it isn't.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is it really illegal for me to go up to some dude in the bathroom and ask him if he wants to [censored] me in the ass? What the hell is this country coming to?

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT, if this would have happened to a Democrat then I just wonder what they, the Democrats, would be saying. Let's say that Craig is gay and doesn't want to come out of the closet. Should he be ridiculed and derided for this? I've been listening Air America and they've been basically doing just that. They're not deriding him for just hypocrisy, they're deriding him for not coming out of the closet. To me it looks alot like hate speech but could be convinced otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

They'd be saying "Hooray for gays, we love our gays" because they haven't built their party around hating homosexuals?

Just a thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. If a proponent of drug legalization is found out to be using drugs the reaction would be...? I assume it would be along the lines of oh ok this makes sense and move on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ask you what I asked DVaut1, have you been listening to Air America the last few days? Clearly he's being derided for not coming out of the closet. What did the Democrats say about McGreevy?

Here's one comment that I think is typical:

The Danger of The Closet
McGreevey's own flip flop on the issue of marriage rights for gay couples shows the danger of the closet. When he was governor he opposed marriage equality. Now that's he an openly gay American, he supports it. Sadly, that's not surprising. Closeted gays and lesbians are sometimes the most homophobic people on the planet because they operate out of so much fear of detection that they overcompensate with their homophobia.

But the truth is that Jim McGreevey is only one person. To be honest, I don't really care whether McGreevey is openly gay or not. I'm glad that he has started his own personal journey toward greater honesty in his life, but the truth is much bigger than McGreevey or any one man.

The truth is that many others are still trapped in the closets of their lives because they don't feel they have a safe space to come out and be who they are. If we really want to do something about closeted gay men entering into phony relationships, we might start by doing something about the culture of homophobia and heterosexism that encourages so many people to lie in the first place. That may be the biggest tragedy of all.

Comments on McGreevy

I realize this is only one comment but IMO this was typical of what Democrats said for the most part. This is showing compassion and even giving McGreevy a pass for his prior positions that were opposed to advocates for gays. The main reason being that McGreevy was in the closet. Apparently we should show compassion for Democrats that come out of the closet but not Republicans.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Republican Senator pleads guilty to lewd conduct in a men\'s room

Well, he didn't flush the toilet. What's more disorderly than that?
Old 08-30-2007, 07:58 PM

My guess is he would rather have kept it quiet with a guilty plea than beaten--publicly--the rap in court.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:00 PM

Nice post.

"Perhaps this cop had too much time on his hands?'

Hopefully time and nothiing else.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:02 PM

I heard it reported that he said he touched the guy's foot because he has a "wide stance" in the bathroom. Naturally, I assumed he was at a urinal. I never heard of a wide stance for #2. I usually sit myself.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:05 PM

Much as it pains me, I have to agree with my friend Peter here. Let's say the guy was indeed trying to solicit sex with another man. So what? And if Peter thinks that's OK, who wouldn't?
Old 08-30-2007, 08:07 PM

Well, at least taxpayers' money was well spent. There won't be any more lewd activity in bathrooms anymore!

Perhaps what annoys me, is that people could take the above seriously. :O

Edit: I mean if he was [censored] someone in the bathroom, then you'd have something to talk about but what if he wanted to just go home with some dude?
Old 08-30-2007, 08:15 PM

On his website, he lists his mission. http://craig.senate.gov/mission.cfm Goal 3 is to "defend and strengthen the traditional values of the America family." He looks like an obvious hypocrite to me. That, of course, doesn't mean that the Democrats wouldn't love to take advantage politically.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:26 PM

adios,

Nope I have not been listening to air america.