Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Please allow me to introduce myself

[ QUOTE ]
I am just curious. Why is it bad that the board of PPA consists mostly of industry representatives from affiliates or Cardplayer? Don't those type of companies have a huge stake in the legalization of online poker (or its confirmation as legal) including open access to foreign poker sites and establishment of domestic poker sites? If they have fronted a great deal of the money, then don't they have the right to large representation on the board? And isn't more important what the PPA does than who is on its board of directors?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to agree with this. I currently play almost exclusively online, though. I think the B&M crowd would like to see the PPA focus more on their concerns.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
D$D, I think I have my facts exactly in order.

[/ QUOTE ]

The facts you want to discuss happened over a few weeks compared to the ground work layed by those opposed to us over more than a decade.

The whole poker community has been behind the curve politically not just the PPA. The more I look into it the more I am begining to feel the community deserves what it gets. Everyone seems so worried about their own personal perspective and saving as much as they have gained, rather than looking at the larger community's needs.

[ QUOTE ]
I think we ought to stop knocking the PPA as it is, since it appears to be heading in the right direction. I'd like to see some more effort put into media relations and get the word out in the card rooms. The PPA shouldn't be only about the Internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Media relations is one of the PPA's stronger points. Its ability to tap the resivor of talent in this country is what is lacking.

I don't criticise the PPA in any way as a means to knock it at all. Please understand that. There are some good people working very hard, and I do appreciate all they are doing on a daily basis.

But there is a real lack of desire to get the troops trained for the up comming fight. There seems to be too much reliance on building the facade while short cutting the foundation, IMO.

"Putting lip stick on a pig," is a phrase that has been used in this forum in the past. While it is a little harsh to describe the real hard work that has been done and what has been accomplished todate, the fact remains that make up has been applied to a number of situations where a little foresight or extra effort would have worked much better.

My complaints about the PPA are meant as a member who cares what happens to the organization, not someone who wants to destroy it.

[ QUOTE ]
The PPA is a relative newcomer. They are at least getting the national press to call for a quote, which is way ahead of where they were.

[/ QUOTE ]

2 years is a lifetime in politics, John has been at the helm for 3 months or so. Yes he is up to his ass in aligators. I spoke to him a little tonight about a number of these issues without destroying the spirit of the evening, but only in passing. I know he is well aware of the challenges ahead.

I am not exactly sure how much confidence he has in the existing members of the PPA. Personally I would expect much more from the membership than has been asked todate. But then again I don't sit, thankfully, behind his desk.

John is a very capibile and intelegent young man. The task he has taken on is almost thankless, and an uphill battle at that. But even that said, I will continue to offer both my opinions as well as help in any manner to the effort.

Getting the kind of effort out of the poker community needed to make the impact nessecary to reach our common goal may not be possible given the nature of most poker players as this is in no way a team sport.

But personally I do think it is possible to motivate this community. There are still a lot of structrual problems in the current PPA. Yes the are well known to most anyone with any knowledge of the history of the PPA. Yes they are to some degree being attempted to be solved.

I am just not convinced that the current planning and work nessecary for us to reach our goals is being done in a timely manner.

I could be and I hope I am very wrong.

Oh on a note of news, I think the hearing might be scheduled for next week if it hasn't been announced elsewhere.

The Horton's Kids event was a lot of fun. The tourney structure left a little to be desired given the buy-in level, but considering the real reason for the event it was a major sucess.

D$D
Old 11-07-2007, 07:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mason has stated here that he wants wholeasale board resignations plus 2+2 LLC representation on the board. I don't think Bryan can do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never stated that Two Plus Two LLC should have representation on the board. I have stated that I'm very uncomfortable with large affiliate banks having representation on the board, and since we are moving into that area it may not be proper for there to be a Two Plus Two board member.

I also have stated that I believe there needs to be changes made in their board but have only publicly called for the resignation of one board member although we would be happy with more chages than that.

Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

That's it? 1 resignation and you are not "neutral" anymore?

Some might conclude that this is personal rather than a principled position. What difference does 1 board member make when the question is support for the organisation doing most to defend poker player's rights?
Old 11-07-2007, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. We make the best decisions we can based on the information available. We don't guarantee anything based on one change, and we reserve the right to change our position even if there are no changes. Don't make inaccurate assumptions about our purpose here.

To be a little more specific, going back to our statement of over one year ago, there were a number of areas we had concern with.

MM
Old 11-08-2007, 07:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. We make the best decisions we can based on the information available. We don't guarantee anything based on one change, and we reserve the right to change our position even if there are no changes. Don't make inaccurate assumptions about our purpose here.

To be a little more specific, going back to our statement of over one year ago, there were a number of areas we had concern with.

MM

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the clarification on my question (not assumption).

I think we all feel the PPA has made progress in the past year. How far do you think they have come towards meeting your concerns 10% 20% 50% 80% ?
Old 11-08-2007, 09:23 AM

We are the PPA if we have joined, regardless of the method by which we may have joined. If the organizaton is spread so thin that it cannot respond to all these situations then the membershiop needs to look at themselves. I for one am willing to help in whatever way I am able. I'm in MA. Can I give an hour or so a day? Yes. More if needed. I'm a recreational poker player. I work for a living but can be flexible with my hours. I will make time.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We believe that the board issues of the PPA and their lack of transparency in many areas will eventually hurt the cause that they are fighting for and in which we agree with.

[ QUOTE ]
Wow MM comes across as a pompous arse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Enjoy your vacation.

MM

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, ego trip much? You want freedom to play cards on the internet but he cant have freedom to voice his opinion to you on your public forum?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

LOL, ego trip much? You want freedom to play cards on the internet but he cant have freedom to voice his opinion to you on your public forum?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't see any opinion voiced, only an insult. Name calling is a bannable offense in every forum on this site. Granted some of the off topic forum are more lenient, but that's up to the mods of those forums to enforce. MM did nothing out of the ordinary there. If I had seen it before MM, I would have deleted the post and issued a ban as well.

No one got banned because they said, "Mason I think you are wrong/misguided/full of it/whatever because....." Vigorous debate is good, hurling insults is uncalled for.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We are the PPA if we have joined, regardless of the method by which we may have joined. If the organizaton is spread so thin that it cannot respond to all these situations then the membershiop needs to look at themselves. I for one am willing to help in whatever way I am able. I'm in MA. Can I give an hour or so a day? Yes. More if needed. I'm a recreational poker player. I work for a living but can be flexible with my hours. I will make time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Randy or MassPoker, you getting this!?!

Like TE stepping up and doing the work no one else was willing or able to do at the time, this is the type of spirit that is needed from the members and non-members of the PPA from the larger on-line and live poker community as a whole.

Thank you for your post, it should be an inspiration to us all!

D$D
Old 11-08-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We believe that the board issues of the PPA and their lack of transparency in many areas will eventually hurt the cause that they are fighting for and in which we agree with.

[ QUOTE ]
Wow MM comes across as a pompous arse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Enjoy your vacation.

MM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a privately owned forum open to the public who are willing to follow the established rules.

All freedoms in the world including the right of free speach in this country come at a price. Some of our most dear freedoms come at the highest price.

Getting "silenced" for a few days is a samll price to pay to be a member of this community. If you can't see that then you do not have a clue what this forum is about, nor have you likely much worth as a citizen IMO.

D$D