Default Re: New York City: Your favorite things to do or places to go

vincents is amazing.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
steak for 1 or 2 fewer people than you have

[/ QUOTE ]
I consider myself a fairly seasoned Peter Luger veteran and I've never heard of anyone doing this. Just tell the waiter you all want steak, any deviation from that plan will lead to confusion on the waiter's part and a retarded mistake on your own.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-26-2007, 05:30 PM

brett,

"I bet the waiters are downsizing for you"

You are completely wrong here. The waiters are most definitely not downsizing and bringing steak for 3 even if Evan has a bunch of apps and then orders steak for 4 people. Like Evan and ND, I've never heard of people who are all eating steak ordering a smaller order. When I've been we always get a couple of slices of bacon for each person, some apps/salads, then steak for x (x being how many people we have) people + sides. As I said, I've never heard of people ordering a smaller order of steak than the number in their party. It's definitely not an excessive amount of food and is completely standard to order Steak for 4 for 4 people. Frankly, what you're saying is sorta bizarre.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:55 PM

Why does every discussion about Peter Luger's (HAHA, suck it I said Luger's instead of Luger) on here always turn into a debate about what is the correct or standard order? If someone thinks steak for 3 is enough for their group of 4 people, who cares? Enough of this dick waving about who has been to Luger's more and knows what the best order is.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why does every discussion about Peter Luger's (HAHA, suck it I said Luger's instead of Luger) on here always turn into a debate about what is the correct or standard order? If someone thinks steak for 3 is enough for their group of 4 people, who cares? Enough of this dick waving about who has been to Luger's more and knows what the best order is.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't care if he thinks steak for 3 is enough for 4, I don't even care if he orders spaghetti instead of steak. He suggested other people order "steak for [less people than they have]" which is (1) completely non-standard (2) going to make your meal less enjoyable in the opinion of everyone I know that's ever eaten there. I'm not trying to brag about how many times I've been there, I'm sure it's nowhere near the most of anyone in this thread. Knowing the "best order" there is a lot different than at a standard restaurant because there are only like 8 possible combinations of orders that make any sense at all.

That being said, I know these things turn into stupid pissing matches so I will make this my last post on the "how to eat at Peter Luger" subject and hopefully redeem myself a bit by suggesting 'wichcraft. It's a gourmet sandwich shop owned by Tom Colicchio of Top Chef fame. There's 5 or 6 of them around the city but the one in Bryant Park is great for people unfamiliar with the city because it's centrally located to a lot of touristy stuff and you also get to eat in a beautiful setting. Obviously this is more of a warm weather activity. Get the roast beef.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:07 PM

Also, Yuka is a great all you can eat sushi place on the UES. The all you can eat menu is like $25 with tax and tip for a very decent selection of rolls, hand rolls and nigiri. There's some fun bars up and down that block too.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:39 PM

slick: "If someone thinks steak for 3 is enough for their group of 4 people, who cares?" Completely agree. However, when someone recommends something as an optimal order and even implies that waiters will even downsize others to that order, it's worth commenting on. You're right, though, no more discussion on this topic.

All: Hudson Hotel bars are pretty sweet, swanky bar vibe.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

All: Hudson Hotel bars are pretty sweet, swanky bar vibe.

[/ QUOTE ]
The drop dead gorgeous girl sitting at the end of the bar by herself is a hooker. She will always be a hooker.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Never heard of these Russian places in Brooklyn. I've always had a thing for hot Russian and Easter European women. I'll have to check that out. Anyone have specific names?

[/ QUOTE ]
Read my second post in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

There also used to be a very fun club in Manhattan called the Bulgarian, somewhere around 6th Ave. & Canal if I remember right. Lots of authentic Bulgarians and crazy dancing.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lots of authentic Bulgarians

[/ QUOTE ]
This made me think of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer imports the Dominicans.