Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 07:20 PM

Default Re: President\'s Cup

"Biggest" in the context of money, winning, etc., no. But he had the weight of the entire country on him, in a raucous atmosphere of thousands of supporters from both greens watching him (including the players on the other green), playing the best player in the world, with a putt to either square the match or go dormie. Because the Cup was basically secured doesn't necessarily make it that much less important: now him winning was the best thing that could have happened that day for his team and that crowd.

Plus, the weight of expectations can be a killer. Weir himself totally gagged down the stretch a few years ago against Vijay in the Canadian Open before his home crowd. And Tim Duncan shoots a much higher free throw percentage on the road, where there aren't thousands of people counting on him within earshot.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Biggest" in the context of money, winning, etc., no. But he had the weight of the entire country on him, in a raucous atmosphere of thousands of supporters from both greens watching him (including the players on the other green), playing the best player in the world, with a putt to either square the match or go dormie. Because the Cup was basically secured doesn't necessarily make it that much less important: now him winning was the best thing that could have happened that day for his team and that crowd.

Plus, the weight of expectations can be a killer. Weir himself totally gagged down the stretch a few years ago against Vijay in the Canadian Open before his home crowd. And Tim Duncan shoots a much higher free throw percentage on the road, where there aren't thousands of people counting on him within earshot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put tuq. Keep in mind there was no such thing as dormie in the singles matches.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
looks like someone is cunthurt about their little anal buddy choking on 18.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Do you have a massive hard-on for Weir or something? I think you know what would of happened on 18 if the U.S needed that point.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

yeah i'm sure tiger wasn't trying. I mean, hasn't tiger been known for not trying his entire career? it always seems like tiger just isn't giving it his all sometimes and often has lapses of concentration.
???????????????????????????????????????????/
retard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said he wasn't trying, where did you pull that from? I said the situation wasn't critical and those are the spots where Tiger excels. Yes your butt buddy beat the best with nothing on the line...congrats.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:52 PM

I think it would be ridiculous to assume that Tiger cared about that match nearly as much as Weir, especially after the Cup was clinched. It was equally ridiculous when he was asked whether the win ranked up there with the Masters. While I'm sure Mike was satisfied, I am just as sure that it isn't even as good as a tour win, much less the Masters.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am just as sure that it isn't even as good as a tour win

[/ QUOTE ]
Hoo boy, I couldn't disagree more about this. Paycheck aside, the emotions, venue, and outcome of that day is something he'll cherish more than anything other than his Masters win long after he's retired, barring another unforeseen major win.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind there was no such thing as dormie in the singles matches.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually I think we're both wrong. To go dormie means that you have your opponent by the short hairs, you're up as many holes as there are remaining. The losing team/player is not also "dormie". So to be dormie is a good thing. Weir missing that putt would have meant Woods was dormie, not the match itself.

However, I'm fairly sure it applies to all matches, regardless of whether it's singles, four balls, or foursomes.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes your butt buddy beat the best with nothing on the line...congrats.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are downplaying the match simply because weir won. everyone knew that for all intents and purposes, the cup was decided before the day even started. This match was the only thing anyone was looking forward too.

if you don't think both players desperately wanted to win, you are just delusional.

as for johnny miller's comment about that being the biggest putt of his career, that was ridiculous. It certainly was a huge match and a huge putt, but it isn't even in the same zip as a masters victory.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes your butt buddy beat the best with nothing on the line...congrats.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are downplaying the match simply because weir won. everyone knew that for all intents and purposes, the cup was decided before the day even started. This match was the only thing anyone was looking forward too.

if you don't think both players desperately wanted to win, you are just delusional.

as for johnny miller's comment about that being the biggest putt of his career, that was ridiculous. It certainly was a huge match and a huge putt, but it isn't even in the same zip as a masters victory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Miller said it was the biggest putt of his career outside his Masters' win.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind there was no such thing as dormie in the singles matches.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually I think we're both wrong. To go dormie means that you have your opponent by the short hairs, you're up as many holes as there are remaining. The losing team/player is not also "dormie". So to be dormie is a good thing. Weir missing that putt would have meant Woods was dormie, not the match itself.

However, I'm fairly sure it applies to all matches, regardless of whether it's singles, four balls, or foursomes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you just nailed it here. Well written.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tuq

Good points, but in my mind most important is what happend prior. If Tiger was beating Weir by 3Up after 10 or 11 holes, then this putt has much less meaning. I think the fact that Weir lost 4 points in 5 holes and was then down by one, made this putt HUGE. As we have noted before, Weir has been coughing-up a few furballs last couple of years in key situations, so he really didn't need a repeat of his Canadian open loss.

Weir ned to show he could rebound on a big stage.

PS. FWIW, I am Canadian and big Mike Weir fan, However, I belive he is over-rated as a golfer because he is:
A) a really nice guy
B) a little guy
C) Canadian (it's a big market up north, and TaylorMade knows that)
D) he won the Masters

IMO, if he plays up to his potential in the next two or three years, he will be in the 15 to 25 range of the World rankings. I think the media often treats him like a "top 10" golfer that's just trying to regain his form, but I don't see him getting back and staying at that level (but I'd love to be wrong!!)