Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 01:09 PM

Default Re: ESPN sets new standard for premature analysis. Talk of undefeated

As Stevie pointed out, though, with the likes of the Colts, Ravens, and Steelers in the AFC, it might not be until Weeks 15-17 that they clinch home field. That's the ideal scenario if you're rooting for them to run the table.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:23 PM

/thread

Since a new standard was set by Assani?
Old 09-24-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what you're trying to do other then make my point for me. Thanks, I guess? Reading helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reading does help. Read your own post. You say the following:

"Going undefeated lacks any relevance if it doesn't translate into a SB title, so who cares?"

To outdo the '72 Dolphin team, a team would have to go undefeated in the regular season and then also win the Super Bowl as the '72 Dolphin team did.

So posting that statement really made no sense whatsoever since that isn't what is being celebrated by those guys and that's what I was pointing out.

In other words, if the pats go 16-0 and lose in the playoffs, the champagne gets drunk. The only way to keep the cork in the bottle is to run the table all the way through and including the super bowl. got it? Good. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As Stevie pointed out, though, with the likes of the Colts, Ravens, and Steelers in the AFC, it might not be until Weeks 15-17 that they clinch home field. That's the ideal scenario if you're rooting for them to run the table.

[/ QUOTE ]
If the Pats get to 15-0 they would have already clinched, they would have already beaten the Colts and Steelers.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If the Pats get to 15-0 they would have already clinched, they would have already beaten the Colts and Steelers.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they are 15-0 I am sure that Belichick would want to go for an undefeated season.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:09 PM

People who are outright dismissing the possiblity of the Pats going 16-0 are morons.

Obviously the odds aren't in their favor, but it's still possible.

It would be amazing if it happens because that would really shut the haters up.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cowboys worked the Bears.

But they nearly lost to the Giants

and beat the Dolphins.

So they beat a solid team with a crappy QB and two crappy teams.

I'd still take Balt over Dallas.
and Cinn vs. Dallas would just turn into a shootout given Dallas pass d isn't any good.

[/ QUOTE ]

note that this isn't merely a ranking of the best teams that NE will play the rest of the year, but how tough those games are likely to be due to matchups. i think NE matches up very well with BAL and pretty well with CIN. Romo is a great passer but he also has great mobility and DAL has two good running backs - i.e. much more offensive versatility than anyone below them on the list. NE is great at taking away one or two things. The teams that have the best chance against them are well-balanced offensively, like DAL.

If they go in there and DAL can get a stop or two, or a turnover early, and get ahead and get the place noisy, the Pats cannot afford to get off to a bad start like they did against BUF. (and yes, that half very fluky and they weren't even running their best / most dangerous offensive sets, but point being, any team can get off to a slow start on any day, and doing it on the road against a versatile offense like DAL is not a great idea).
Old 09-24-2007, 08:18 PM

It's week 3. NE likely has a better chance of running the table compared to losing their division.

Be happy with that.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:39 PM

oh i'm totally happy, just speculating
Old 09-24-2007, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hope they do it even though I hate them with a passion just so all the '72 losers can STFU.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get the hate for the undefeated Miami team that has a champagne toast every year when the last undefeated team loses. They did it and earned the right I would say. Remember those guys played before all the big money. If they get off on this ritual every year, why should it bother anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't hate them for celebrating, nor do I blame them. But I get tired of them being so overrated. They are routinely called a top 3 team of all time, and I don't think they are at all. They weren't even favorites in the Super Bowl. They played one of the easiest schedules of all time. Contrast their schedule to the 1991 Redskins who lost two games all year: One in week 17 when they rested their starters, and one by 3 points in which they gave up an onside kick and a hail mary TD. The Redskins feat is a lot more impressive, yet they never seem to get mentioned as a top 3 team of all time. Teams like that or the 1985 Bears or some of those 80 49ers teams are better than the 72 Fins imo.