Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Ask me about being a religious jew

[ QUOTE ]
Blitz - what are you thoughts on Meir Kahane?

[/ QUOTE ]

Blitz def represents the near opposite side of myself (With the ultimate opposite side would be the non zionist orthodox), so I can't speak for him. The majority of israelis have always seen Kahane and his followers as a personas non-grata. His party was banned from the elections in 1988. They were actually banned in 1984, when he won one seat in the Knesset, but the supreme court overrulled the decision, since there was no basis in the law. The law was changed soon afterwards.

In 1994 they were declared a terrorist group. So hopefully people abroad don't think Kahane was welcomed in Israel.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Man, I've lived in Israel all my life and I don't have the slightest idea where Nof Ayalon is. Is it inside the green line?

[/ QUOTE ]
We are opposite Modiin.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still don't have a clue what opposite of Modeein means. Is it near Latron? So you're basically just on the green line?
Old 08-30-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

'entertainme' - "The only visible remains of the second temple is the Western (aka Wailing) Wall. One of the problems today with rebuilding the temple is the Dome of the Rock, (a Muslim holy site), is located on the Temple Mount."

So, it's logical to assume that the Temple won't be rebuilt until some settlement with those of the Muslim faith is reached. The year 6000 may be a little optimistic.
/politics

[/ QUOTE ]

On that subject, Revelations 11: 1-2 says:

1 Then I was given a reed like a measuring rod. And the angel stood,* saying, "Rise and measure the temple of God, the altar, and those who worship there. 2 But leave out the court which is outside the temple, and do not measure it, for it has been given to the Gentiles. And they will tread the holy city underfoot for forty-two months.

Here is a depiction of the area today.

Here is a depiction of the second temple.

In that vein, scholars are working on determining the exact location of the second temple.

So, maybe we'll discover it would be possible to rebuild the inner section of the temple without disturbing the Dome of the Rock? Hence the....

But leave out the court which is outside the temple, and do not measure it, for it has been given to the Gentiles.

Interesting?

BTW what is the year in the Jewish calendar? Do I remember correctly that it's a 360 day year?
Old 08-30-2007, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

BTW what is the year in the Jewish calendar? Do I remember correctly that it's a 360 day year?

[/ QUOTE ]

5767. It ends on september 12. The hebrew new year, "Rosh Hashana". Secular jews basically never use the the hebrew count, but we all celebrate Rosh Hashana.

Hebrew years don't have a set number of days. Every 7 years there's a leap year (like when the western calander adds the 2/29). An extra month called Adar Bet or Adar Sheni (the 2nd Adar)is added to "make up" for the lost days.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:10 AM

It seems you side stepped the stoning issue by stating that the temple has not been rebuilt for the third time. In a later post from what i gather the temple will be rebuilt in the next 230 years or so. Say it happened in the next 5 years, would you support it or is it more of a "I'll cross that bridge when I come to it."
On another note, here in NYC it was speculated in the press that Meir Kahane was possibly the Messiah. Do you see any, I dont want to say extremists, but people who are looking to make Prophesy come true by advocating blowing up the Dome of the Rock.
It was said that during the time of Jesus that many claimed to be the Messiah. Do you have men popping up occasionally who claim to be the Messiah. I really am curious and am in no way kidding.
As an aside, i was stationed in the Sinai back in the 80's and had a wonderful time in Israel. Thank you for your time.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:16 AM

One of the more successful fake messiahs. Pretty interesting read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabbatai_Zevi
Old 08-31-2007, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

5767. It ends on september 12. The hebrew new year, "Rosh Hashana". Secular jews basically never use the the hebrew count, but we all celebrate Rosh Hashana.

Hebrew years don't have a set number of days. Every 7 years there's a leap year (like when the western calander adds the 2/29). An extra month called Adar Bet or Adar Sheni (the 2nd Adar)is added to "make up" for the lost days.

[/ QUOTE ]

it is something like 7 times every 19 years or something
Old 08-31-2007, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was told there is something in the Talmud about paying for the sins of your father, to the effect that if your father did bad things then bad things will happen to you (karma) and i have tried to look this up and havent found it. are you aware of this passage

[/ QUOTE ]

Exodus 20:3-6

You shall have no other gods before Me. 4 "You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth. 5 "You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6 but showing lovingkindness to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you this is the quote i was looking for

blitz do you believe this to be true?
Old 08-31-2007, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it is something like 7 times every 19 years or something

[/ QUOTE ]

whatever, no one knows what the hebrew date is anyhow [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2007, 06:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

'entertainme' - "The only visible remains of the second temple is the Western (aka Wailing) Wall. One of the problems today with rebuilding the temple is the Dome of the Rock, (a Muslim holy site), is located on the Temple Mount."

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, the Wailing Wall was not part of the temple. It was the wall of the Temple mount.
Also, one of the bi problems with re-building the temple is knowing the exact location of the Holy of Holies which must be kept the same.

[ QUOTE ]

So, it's logical to assume that the Temple won't be rebuilt until some settlement with those of the Muslim faith is reached. The year 6000 may be a little optimistic.
/politics

[/ QUOTE ]
I decided to keep this thread politics-free.