F. Taylor @ Phi 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2007, 11:24 PM

Default Re: ****Official 2007 NY Mets NL East Champs Thread****

lol phillies fans.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe that's just code for "tendon that isn't in the body of a better pitcher than scott shoenweiss".

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, sadly but truly QFT
Old 06-07-2007, 08:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol phillies fans.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-07-2007, 08:48 AM

Okay, but seriously. The injuries, while expected due to the age of these guys, are still driving me crazy. I (probably foolishly) didn't expect them all to get injured at the same time.

You have to assume Chavez is gone for 15 days at least. Valentin gets back tonight but he is our 8th hitter after all and now he is going to be forced into the 2-hole or the 6 spot. Do the Mets still option Gotay back and call up another OF (Ledee, Ambres?). Milledge is apparently a week away from returning to drills still.

This is the Mets first 3 game losing streak this season. Every other NL team has had at least 1 of those already. I'll take that. Actually that's better than everyone in the majors as the Mets beat the Red Sox out by a day.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:35 PM

Mets squeeze out two losses in 2 games, which will happen from time to time. Very, very encouraging start from El Duque and we have still kept pace with the Braves. We might not win the division going away, but let's remember that we're still the favorites right now. Alou will be healthy soon along with Valentin, which will make it so we don't have to run out the C- team as often even with Endy going down. I am pretty sure Gotay can play OF and he is hitting better than the rest of the clown patrol(newhan, johnson, Gomez, franco) to the point that I pray to god they don't send him anywhere anytime soon.

A few more thoughts:
Any time I see Scott Schoeneweis in a Mets uniform I want to [censored] kill myself.

Was the Heilman/Milledge for Oswalt trade denied on the Mets end? That seems impossible. For some reason the details are fuzzy to me right now but I seem to remember some extenuating circumstance.

I hope Willie realizes that something is wrong with the lineup when teams can profitably walk Jose Reyes to get to the [censored] number 2 hitter.

James
Old 06-07-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Was the Heilman/Milledge for Oswalt trade denied on the Mets end? That seems impossible. For some reason the details are fuzzy to me right now but I seem to remember some extenuating circumstance.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it was not on the Mets end.

Nearly ever report at the time had Peter Angelos backing out at the last minute, not wanting to part with Tejada, although recently I have seen articles that read that it was never really in place per the Astros not wanting to do it.

Either way, nothing has ever indicated that the Mets were not very willing and ready to to that deal.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:15 PM

I thought El Duque looked terrible, he just somehow got out of everything aka the Phillies let him out of everything. His fastball topped out at like 87, he couldnt really throw strikes.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought El Duque looked terrible, he just somehow got out of everything aka the Phillies let him out of everything. His fastball topped out at like 87, he couldnt really throw strikes.

[/ QUOTE ]

LoL. Yeah 6 innings, no runs. He looked "terrible". His fastball (when he threw it) hit 90 pretty frequently. He doesn't throw hard. That's not his game. El Duque uses an assortment of like 100 different pitches and throws them at all speeds ranging from 55mph to 90mph. That's his game. It keeps hitters completely guessing and off balance all night. He owned the Phillies right handers all night, just like the rest of right handed batters he's been facing all year. So at what point do you give credit to the pitcher rather than saying the Phillies let him out of everything?

I'll agree with you that he did throw a lot of balls though (mostly in the first couple of innings). Pretty much settled in after that. Again, his usual MO.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:34 PM

He looked terrible in the 1st inning and for the 1st half of the 2nd. After that he was dominant. He seems to always not have it in the 1st, you just have to hope he gets lucky and then theres always a chance for a shutout.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
theres always a chance for a shutout.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. Well that's assuming Heilman doesn't come in to pitch in a pressure spot.