Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2006, 12:27 AM

Default Re: *Red Sox thread* News, views, and love for the front office

[ QUOTE ]
Toro you are incredibly biased, please try to stop that.

I would think that if the Sox front office sign a horrible hitting SS, he must be a great fielder.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was only for a one year deal. I think AGonz is certianly good at shortstop and his raw power is undeniable, so the signing sure makes sense for a year since the middle infield is slim pickings for now.

Trading for Lugo would be a huge boon for the Red Sox. He can hit, field, and is a five-tool player with good plate discpline for a shortstop.

Julio Lugo ss
1 year/$3.25M (2005), plus $4.95M 2006 club option

If the Sox trade for him, it's going to be an impending free agency signature, since I believe he was signed through his arbitration years. He's a great pickup - hopefully the Indians trade for him first, though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: Hooray, my birthday cake!
Old 07-18-2006, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I would think that if the Sox front office sign a horrible hitting SS, he must be a great fielder.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was only for a one year deal. I think AGonz is certianly good at shortstop and his raw power is undeniable, so the signing sure makes sense for a year since the middle infield is slim pickings for now.

Trading for Lugo would be a huge boon for the Red Sox. He can hit, field, and is a five-tool player with good plate discpline for a shortstop.

Julio Lugo ss

If the Sox trade for him, it's going to be an impending free agency signature, since I believe he was signed through his arbitration years. He's a great pickup - hopefully the Indians trade for him first, though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

only way they trade for lugo is if he signs an extension on the spot and even then, the sox really dont need him this year. why not wait 5 months and get him for draft picks?

he most likely hits the market and i see the sox as the prohibitive favorite to sign him.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

only way they trade for lugo is if he signs an extension on the spot and even then, the sox really dont need him this year. why not wait 5 months and get him for draft picks?

he most likely hits the market and i see the sox as the prohibitive favorite to sign him.

[/ QUOTE ]

i def agree and im not that happy about it, lugo is good
Old 07-18-2006, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[only way they trade for lugo is if he signs an extension on the spot and even then, the sox really dont need him this year. why not wait 5 months and get him for draft picks?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it would be interesting to see whether or not the Devil Rays re-sign him. They may not have a lot of money, but they might spend on a player of his caliber, especially if they show interest now instead of shopping him around on the market.

The Mets, Indians, and Cubs are all in dire need of a middle infielder too, so you have competition for sure.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Julio Lugo ss

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

.......sublime. With you being a good 'stats/metric' guy, I'm curious as to your opinion as to the metrics some of these rating service use to judge a shortstop.

I'd appreciate you filling me in on this.

To start it off, I know that my 'anecdotal' evaluation consists of metrics such as.....range, arm strength, 'glove', throwing accuracy, consistency, reaction time....etc.

I find that if I anecdotally use these metrics, I come up with different SS's going back to the Don Buddin years.

Just for an example....Arm Strength....Rick Burleson.

Also, although he didn't play for the Sox for all that long, IMO Pokey Reese is a legitimate 'top-of-the-list' defensive SS having played for the Sox.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:23 AM

All this talk about SS has diverted us from the achilles heel of this team, starting pitching. With Wakefield's back now acting up the Sox can count on one finger the number of starting pitchers they can rely upon to give a "quality start".

Any of the crowd who loved the Willie Mo Pena trade having second thoughts yet?
Old 07-18-2006, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dear Boston Red Sox,

Please stop being such giant [censored] luckboxes.

Signed, Christopher

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not really luckboxing when you're playing KC. Boston is still a slight favorite going into the bottom of the 7th down 4-0.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dear Boston Red Sox,

Please stop being such giant [censored] luckboxes.

Signed, Christopher

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not really luckboxing when you're playing KC. Boston is still a slight favorite going into the bottom of the 7th down 4-0.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLOLOLolololol

(we're a huge favorite, not a small one)
Old 07-18-2006, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All this talk about SS has diverted us from the achilles heel of this team, starting pitching. With Wakefield's back now acting up the Sox can count on one finger the number of starting pitchers they can rely upon to give a "quality start".

Any of the crowd who loved the Willie Mo Pena trade having second thoughts yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I never liked that deal, but I don't think it's a major problem. Bronson was never going to be more than a 3/4 starter here.

anywho, I'm cautiously optimistic about the pitching. Beckett has has some terrible games, but some really good ones. Schill has looked good, Lester pretty good.

if either Clement or Wells can come back and be a 6ip 3.50ERA guy, that's 4 starters that I'm ok with.

also, the bullpen needs to keep shortening the games.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if either Clement or Wells can come back and be a 6ip 3.50ERA guy, that's a fucking miracle

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. If Wells gets to the mound without having a stroke I'll be impressed.

NT