Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 02:57 PM

Default Re: **Official uNL Microbrew thread: August PT 2**

Yeah I don't understand you at all.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:58 PM

Well the trouble or rather good thing with golf is that you can't multitable it ... hehe.

Poker is an eternal balance between tables and winrate, in other words winrate and hourly.

Most move up to where they nolonger can show a profit multitabling, and then work on their games ... and rince and repeat

I'm no exception to that, so slightly more hardened. But still, these days I am accepting a winrate of 3-4ptbb

Two things make this acceptable, for one I regain a good deal of my hourly if not all of it by running 8-9 tables and secondly I enjoy not having to think and just browsing the internet listening to music and etc.

Tho this is not an approach I would recommend anyone that has ambition and isn't a grumpy old man [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (Grumpy old man with a sample that is over a million hands if you include donkaments and sngs, that might also have something to do with it)
Old 08-24-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I read in the sticky about not getting into large pots (100BB+) without sets or better as a standard line, which makes sense. I lost a huge pot (150BB) last when my bottom two were beaten by a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is THE NUMBER ONE twoplustwo induced leak .... I picked it up back in the day too, but not getting value on your good hands is just BS (even if they are just TPTK, if you are ahead of villians range then you are ahead).

When I talk about playing lots of small pots, it's usually tpnk or my 87s raise hitting 2nd pair etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Understood.

I am not looking for a recipe that I can follow, just a standard approach to calm my variance down. To put it into perspective, last night I made 7BI's in about an hour and a half and then lost 3.5BI's back in like an hour. Of the 3.5BI's I lost, half of that was in stacked off cbets. This is apparently standard for a lot of my losing seesions - in looking at PT I have many sessions where I stack off 1-2BI's without ever losing more than 20BBs on a single hand (so like 10-15BBs in cbets if you exlcude the initial raise).

The more I think about it I am having an issue of too much cbetting and not moving away from tables (I do a good job when I initially select tables, but I do not re-assess my table selection often enough).

Thanks again for all of your input. I am interested to see how implementing (and maintaining) a tighter strategy helps my game.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do understand him, and I'm kinda in the same spot myself as seen in the post above tho at 100NL instead

But dude, ask yourself .. if you where offered a normal job with an hourly of 50$, wouldn't you be utterly thrilled ???

It is a balance, at first you want to improve and test yourself .. but after donking around in MSNL, there will be periods, where you go "Screw this, the money is good and the effort is zero, I see no need to endure the perpetual stress of MSNL"
Old 08-24-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm the kid who went swimming with the sharks and lasted awhile--- but then obtained a flesh wound

ever since my 12k downswing at 400nl i've never stayed there for longer then maybe 2k hands

Im not the shot taker I used to be--- agreed I should be playing 100nl or 200nl--- but I think im beating 50 worse then I can beat 100--- so I need to move to 200nl for it to be profitable for me--- 50nl-200nl is a big move and I want to be playing perfect poker when I do.

Also, you are crazy if making $60 an hour in poker isn't sufficient for you

If you put in the hours that's an easy 100k a year. I think this would be obtainable playing 50 hours a week at nl50 for a year.

I play poker recreationally though, I have a very good job out of college and i'm young, once I have a lot of $ invested I think i'll be more willing to take shots in poker again.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It is a balance, at first you want to improve and test yourself .. but after donking around in MSNL, there will be periods, where you go "Screw this, the money is good and the effort is zero, I see no need to endure the perpetual stress of MSNL"

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't have really said it better

None of you guys who still have ambition to move up understand the kind of pressure that your putting on yourself playing between 400nl-2000nl, I have logged more then 50k hands at 1000nl and above--- although I haven't played that high in 3 years. Winning and losing thousands of dollars a day effects you emotionally more then you can ever imagine

also, at 50nl their is very little risk for me--- I have never had a losing month at nl50, ever, and its not even close--- and i've had a few 25 bi downswings there
Old 08-24-2007, 03:09 PM

I make the same at NL50 that I do at NL100 that I do at NL200 fwiw. And there's less variance. And I'm old and have no aspirations of being a ballah and don't have a poker ego. Plus, just treading water til I hit some nice MTT scores. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2007, 03:12 PM

Yeah all the flipping and squezzing and so on ... you're just shoving stacks back and forth a lot of the time, and if you start getting sng type of bad luck, where the flips just keep on refusing to go your way .. your loses start having 4-5 figures and not just 3, despite that you are playing well [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm the kid who went swimming with the sharks and lasted awhile--- but then obtained a flesh wound

ever since my 12k downswing at 400nl i've never stayed there for longer then maybe 2k hands

Im not the shot taker I used to be--- agreed I should be playing 100nl or 200nl--- but I think im beating 50 worse then I can beat 100--- so I need to move to 200nl for it to be profitable for me--- 50nl-200nl is a big move and I want to be playing perfect poker when I do.

Also, you are crazy if making $60 an hour in poker isn't sufficient for you

If you put in the hours that's an easy 100k a year. I think this would be obtainable playing 50 hours a week at nl50 for a year.

I play poker recreationally though, I have a very good job out of college and i'm young, once I have a lot of $ invested I think i'll be more willing to take shots in poker again.

[/ QUOTE ]

A minute ago you said 40$/hour.

You have said previously you are going to skip NL100 because your winrate is better at NL50. Surely this is crazy talk if you want to go to NL200...

Good luck earning 100k a year at NL50. Why not make 100k in half a year playing NL100?! Or even 3/4 of year if you cant beat it as greatly....

Anyway I know that you are not saying you want to do this but still.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't have really said it better

None of you guys who still have ambition to move up understand the kind of pressure that your putting on yourself playing between 400nl-2000nl, I have logged more then 50k hands at 1000nl and above--- although I haven't played that high in 3 years. Winning and losing thousands of dollars a day effects you emotionally more then you can ever imagine

also, at 50nl their is very little risk for me--- I have never had a losing month at nl50, ever, and its not even close--- and i've had a few 25 bi downswings there

[/ QUOTE ]

THis is my plan. i want to beat and stay at NL50 for while because I do not need stress.

Re: table selection. Does anyone use any table selection software? Or should i just keep looking for tables with a high percentage of players to the flop?
Closed Thread