Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is this a good idea or a bad idea?
Good 10 66.67%
Bad 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-24-2007, 01:47 PM

Default Re: **** OFFICIAL Premiership 2007-08 season Thread!*****

Alex should have been in there too. You got the feeling that Ben Haim played only to agitate Rooney.

The biggest issue for me was that they were in essence playing with a lone striker and when you combine that with horrible service from the back you get squat for chances. Plus Sheva does not have the pace to chance down seemingly lost causes or the power to hold the ball up for long. The formation was not a terrible idea for the first half of a tough away game but they got stuck in it after the sending off.

The balls coming from the back were atrocious all game, particularly Essien's. For the one time he managed to split 2 players and get upfield he gave it away 10 times. Makelele was good cover as usual but he tried to pick up the slack on playing some longer balls and failed quite often.

Overall however, I think they were playing to not concede first and foremost and did quite well in that department aside from the one goal, which was defended woefully. Many worse teams would have given up a lot more chances and goals away at OT down a man.

KJS
Old 09-24-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Overall however, I think they were playing to not concede first and foremost and did quite well in that department aside from the one goal, which was defended woefully. Many worse teams would have given up a lot more chances and goals away at OT down a man.

[/ QUOTE ] i've been trying to figure out if it was good D or a poor attack that essentially shut down ManU, and I think it could be a good D, but I am really not sure. Ronaldo seemed mostly nonexistant all game, and the strikes weren't given much service. But at the same time, I didn't think the CB's did much at all either.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:02 PM

The sending off ruined what potentially woulda been a good game. Being away at Old Trafford with 10 men for most of the game is hard for any team. Chelsea were good IMO considering that they had lots of possession and defended well but attacking they were sorta wasteful and just didn't have a player who could make anything happen or create much to worry United.

Very hard to say if Man Utd played well or not they didn't have many chances and just seemed sorta dull. (sorry i'm probably repeating everything already said i didn't read all posts)
Old 09-24-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The balls coming from the back were atrocious all game, particularly Essien's. For the one time he managed to split 2 players and get upfield he gave it away 10 times.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess Roman's lesson after the Rosenborg game didn't help.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:49 PM

TSC : did the timbers win the playoffs???
Old 09-24-2007, 02:56 PM

no, they got jobbed by a dodgey non call. A definite penalty should have been awarded, but to no avail. Hit the posts twice during the game as well. Went to to extra time, no goals, then penalties, which they lose 3-1(yes, they only scored one).

Missed out on the finals against their bitter rivals, the Seattle Sounders.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:48 AM

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/7260094

Arsenal is now the most profitable club in England.

Interesting nugget:
[ QUOTE ]
"We had over £70million of cash at the end of the year and if Arsene wants to spend that money, we will make it available."

[/ QUOTE ]

So basically once January comes, Arsene has the skrills to buy whoever he sees fit to buy. I am sure he won't spend a penny though.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:53 AM

Ashley Cole plays Ronaldo better than anyone on earth. That is why he was so absent. None of his pussyfooting helped him.

KJS
Old 09-25-2007, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/7260094

Arsenal is now the most profitable club in England.

Interesting nugget:
[ QUOTE ]
"We had over £70million of cash at the end of the year and if Arsene wants to spend that money, we will make it available."

[/ QUOTE ]

So basically once January comes, Arsene has the skrills to buy whoever he sees fit to buy. I am sure he won't spend a penny though.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. He won't spend any, if he does it'll on another noname up and coming player
Old 09-25-2007, 05:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can we just clarify something here, as UK NFL fans don't use football terms when discussing that, can we therefore use football terms not NFL terms for football? Thanks.

It's not a PK, it's a penalty.
It's not offence - it's attack or strikers depending...
It's not middle of the field - it's midfield.
It's not officiated - it's refereed

Thanks for your help in making this thread easier on the eye.

[/ QUOTE ]
No offense, but this is a soccer season thread, no one thinks we are talking about the NFL. So, you don't need to be a nit. And yes, I called it Soccer. Its not like there is one term for something.

[/ QUOTE ]No offence, but it's the "OFFICIAL Premiership 2007-08 season Thread". It's about English football. There is no such thing as a PK or offence, except of course in "Boston Goals", which should tell you something (for our US friends, it's a spoof about your lack of understanding of football).

I could of course, when discussing the NFL, refer to goal kicks, conversions and trys when points are scored. Of course it would make me look like I had no idea what I was talking about. DUCY?