Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2006, 08:14 PM

Default Re: *Red Sox thread* News, views, and love for the front office

Don't forget, "amazing" for Agon (nice nickname by the way) might be "routine" for another/better shortstop...not saying they weren't great because I didn't see them, but this is perhaps something you aren't factoring into your analyses of his defensive acumen...
Old 07-17-2006, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget, "amazing" for Agon (nice nickname by the way) might be "routine" for another/better shortstop...not saying they weren't great because I didn't see them, but this is perhaps something you aren't factoring into your analyses of his defensive acumen...

[/ QUOTE ]

YSSCKY, because you're very very wrong.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

YSSCKY, because you're very very wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong about what? THe fact that these guys might not be factoring in what actually is "great." Fine, I'm wrong, they obviously can objectively compare Alex Gonzalez to every other shortstop in MLB AND every shortstop the Red Sox have ever had. More power to them and their awesome memory, I hope they are in a profession to take advantage.

Or that fact that I wasn't saying those two plays weren't great because I didn't see them. Because if I'm wrong about what I wasn't trying to say then I guess those plays weren't great tonight...
Old 07-17-2006, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't have called these plays amazing... I mean it's amazing that anybody can do them but they get made relatively often. However they were both VERY GOOD plays where he stopped hard hit balls behind second base and flipped from the ground to Loretta. The second time directly from his glove. They were not routine for anybody.

Watch the [censored] game and see for yourself...

NT
Old 07-17-2006, 08:24 PM

gonna be hard to watch that game. I live in VA Beach and the only game on TV at this point happens to be the Cardinals and Braves. And since I'm a Cardinals fan, I think I'm gonna have to go ahead and watch that one, even if I'm basically watching Jeff Weaver throw BP...
Old 07-17-2006, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
gonna be hard to watch that game. I live in VA Beach and the only game on TV at this point happens to be the Cardinals and Braves. And since I'm a Cardinals fan, I think I'm gonna have to go ahead and watch that one, even if I'm basically watching Jeff Weaver throw BP...

[/ QUOTE ]

mlb.tv ... seriously it's a great value.

NT
Old 07-17-2006, 08:35 PM

Graffanino also making a very good play at short in this inning... didn't really see him there with the Sox and didn't think he had the range, but he just made a nice charging / off-balance play.

NT
Old 07-17-2006, 08:47 PM

tango had some stuff published showing player defense this year. i will look for it, or hope he pops in here.

here is what i DO HAVE:

2000-2003 UZR (weigted average)

+2 (meaning he saved 2 runs MORE than an average SS each year)

for comparison, jeter was -28 and nomar +4

2004:

agonz +19 (was best in NL, by FAR)

2005 (no data)

since UZR is far and away the best tool available, i would say toro and NT are most likely correct.

however, the lack of 2005 (and 2006) data leaves us wondering HOW good he is. we already know he can be REALLY good (2004) or just above average. variance acts in odd ways, and there is the possibility that he is closer to +19 than +2.

fwiw, what i SEE is a great SS BUT i know enough not to trust what i see that much.

personally, i hope the red sox sign lugo. he will cost more, but the major spenders all seem to be locked up at SS which should help the sox leverege.

loretta has no [censored] range, so i hope dustin takes over that spot and lugo SS.

toro-

pokey reeese is the best defensive SS you ever saw on the sox [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2006, 08:54 PM

How good is Lugo defensively?

NT
Old 07-17-2006, 08:56 PM

Ugh, how many balls can we hit right at KC tonight?

NT