Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

rib,

just find a karaoke.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My first Thailand scam, thats how. I went to three travel places. Basically I got in town at like 5 to catch my bus at 6. So I get in this minibus which takes me to another travel agent, where I switch buses AND GO BACK TO THE FIRST AGENT (alarm bells already going off in my head btw). Anyways, I get in this other bus and go to another place where a minibus is there to go to Bangkok and none for Phuket so I'm like wtf and they take me back to the second travel agency and I'm like seriously, what the [censored] is going on? Then they say opps the real bus is coming it'll be here soon and then "so sorry, bus in wreck" (lol sure dude) and I'm like [censored] you give me my money back and leave and go to another place but it was too late then I went to a third place and it was "too late" so I said [censored] the world and got a room and will get on the bus first thing tomorrow.

And now I'm stuck in the most boring place in all of Thailand. I tried to find any bar no matter how lame and couldn't.

edit

in short don't ever deal with HOLIDAY TRAVEL

[/ QUOTE ]

FAROWNED
Old 10-11-2006, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Luckily, my wife is HORRIBLE at pool.

To the guy that axed the question about pool .. I went to a smaller city named Lampang, and I saw that the played snooker and a sign on the front of the building said "No Gambling."

[/ QUOTE ]

They have those signs in the US too - they don't mean anything usually, they just keep the owner from being hassled by the local cops. Someone else posted about being hustled for 100THB by some kid so I'm sure wagering on pool isn't unheard of.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:21 AM

I think its even more FAROWNED than it sounds since after the 2nd bus brought me back to the first travel agency I was like 99.9% sure I was heading to frown town yet did not prevent it
Old 10-11-2006, 10:53 AM

we've all been there

hey magicninja did you ever write up all that stuff that happened crossing into Cambodia like you said you would? hmmmm?
Old 10-11-2006, 10:57 AM

Anyone know off the top of their head where I can find government bus schedules for each terminal in Thailand? I've been looking for like 15 minutes here
Old 10-11-2006, 11:16 AM

I hope you didnt have the travel agency find you a hotel room. Seems like they purposely delayed you so they could book you into one of their hotel rooms. Is this the case or did you find a room to stay for yourself?

You need to goto phuket? Just goto the main bus station in town, should be real cheap to get there. There will be minibuses all day. Dont goto a travel agency, just go book the ticket yourself.

Dont beleive everything they tell you. There are a lot of people who are looking to make an extra 50 baht off you every step of the way. Also, if you know they are jerking you around dont be afraid to say something. Dont be passive. Speak up and tell them you wont be [censored] around with. You dont need to be agressive but raise your voice and let them know you wont be taken for a ride.

These are the situations where its good to know some thai. When they play games with me I let them know I know how it is in their own language and they shut right up.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:54 PM

ive never heard of anyone booking a bus ticket at a travel agency.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ive never heard of anyone booking a bus ticket at a travel agency.

[/ QUOTE ]
I did so when i was in suratani and was going to Phuket last year, they had bunch of them and then comes those small minivans that take you to Phuket. That was my first time in Thailand so i went with the rest of the people who were all going to these small travel agencies.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought of another question. You guys have talked a lot about going to pool halls and such. Is there a big pool scene there? Are there tournaments and gambling and such? If so, what sort of stakes are involved? Please tell me everything you know or have observed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pool is quite popular here, almost every bar will have a table in it. There are a number of pool halls in bangkok with professional tables and simonis cloth, pro balls, cue tec house cues, imported cues for sale etc. Hustlers included. There are money games to be found. Some Thai players are very good. There are lots of expat players too.

I recommend "Ball in Hand" near Asok BTS station or off of soi nana. Those are the best pool halls in Bangkok for 9-ball or 8-ball. There is also a nice one in Pattaya called MegaBreak. They have weekly tournaments. I think you could win like 5-8k baht for first prize. Entry is like 500 or 700 baht.

There are alot of snooker halls too. Thai guys prefer snooker. It's fun to switch it up and play snooker on a 15 foot table with tiny pockets and then go to a 9 footer at the regular pool hall and play like a God for a while.. hehe.. My Canadian friends always kicked my ass at snooker. Tough game man. I prefer 9-ball.

There are some smaller spots too. This pic below is from a place called Wave bar on Sukumvit Soi 7 They have about 7 tables.

Closed Thread