Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: To the death
Connor 24 55.81%
Croft 19 44.19%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2007, 07:22 PM

Default Re: The Official 2007 Chicago Cubs Thread

I think that Kyle would agree that it's hard not to root for the Cubs. I bet he's a closet(open?) Cubs fun who roots for them to win despite their management.

Go Cubs!
Old 07-19-2007, 07:24 PM

no i hate them sorry

go brewers since they are run relatively well
Old 07-19-2007, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i hate the fact that jim hendry, ned colletti, and brian sabean have jobs as general managers. they are an embarrassment to the sport of baseball and their teams are laughable.

nothing personal against the cubs, really, but when you see moves like:

-hendry trades maddux AND CASH for izturis
-hendry signs soriano to a 7/5398239568 deal
-hendry trades a backup catcher and a hard-throwing lefty for one of the worst players in baseball
-hendry signs jason marquis to a 4-year deal

this [censored] gets really tedious. i am just really intolerant of stupidity and hendry epitomizes it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't see what hatred of our GM has to do with laughing at cubs fans, who are THE BEST fans in sports, and it's not really close.

also, news flash, wuertz is not our best reliever.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, he is.

also re: comments about your fans

the cubs fans are the dumbest fans in sports. fans that support a team that is run like absolute dicks are idiots.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:28 PM

furthermore i said marmol was pretty good as well. he and wuertz are the best relievers but wuertz has a much longer track record.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

the cubs fans are the dumbest fans in sports. fans that support a team that is run like absolute dicks are idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been a Cub fan for 21 years. Are you suggesting that just because our current GM is a moron I should just stop rooting for them? Because it seems to me that is not what being a fan is about. There have been a lot more bad times than good times in the last 21 years for me, but I'm a fan. I'll bitch about the GM and the players and everything else, but in the end I'm still pulling for them.

I'm not going to be some [censored] that jumps ship everytime my "favorite" team performs poorly and hitches to the wagon of whatever team is currently playing well. My self-esteem isn't so low that I have to be associated with a winner at all costs. I work with a guy like this. Over the last few years, he's worn a Dodger's hat, a Tiger's hat, a Philadelphia Eagle's hat, a Laker's hat, a Sac King's hat...you get the picture. If a team is winning it's division or being touted as going somewhere in the playoffs, this guy will buy their hat and suddenly be a "fan" of that team.

I've worn one baseball hat the last 21 years. The Cubs might be perrenial losers, but I hardly think that makes me dumb or an idiot. It makes me a fan. [/soapbox]
Old 07-19-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, he is.

also re: comments about your fans

[/ QUOTE ]

some people don't cheer for a team based on the GM. i'm a cubs fan because i grew up watching them. i loved harry and steve stone. i love the idea that a city will stick by the team no matter how badly we suck or how much management [censored] us on a yearly basis.

but if you want to bounce around between teams based on their front office, more power to you.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:54 PM

i'm an indians fan and was one when they were absolute [censored]. what i like about baseball is the fact that it is more and more evident that there is room for "nerds" in the front office who can often do a better job than ex-ballplayers who think they have an idea how to run a team.

i respect teams like the devil rays, diamondbacks, indians, athletics, and so forth based on their new approach to analyzing baseball. teams like the cubs who have literally 8 people in the front office making all the decisions and analysis are run by morons who refuse to try anything new because it isn't "sacred."

would you support a business that was run by idiots and never got anything right despite being a well-known local corporation that's been around for 100 years? probably not. so why would you support your local baseball team? note that i am not insulting the players on the team (i'm sure they all play hard) but when a team is run like absolute dog [censored] then it's tough to actually care about them.

your analogy of someone wearing a tigers/dodgers/eagles/lakers hat is not even close to being relevant. that's called being a "frontrunner," not someone who supports teams who are run well. it's possible for a team to be run very well and still lose (oakland this year, tampa bay since the new management has come in, indians over the past few years), and i like all of those teams i just named even though two of them are turning in terrible seasons.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:57 PM

So you hate the Cubs, hate the fans, and have never had any interest in the Cubs in any way, yet you come on here and spend an inordinate amount of time almost every time telling us what idiots we are for being true fans?

LOL, nh.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, he is.

[/ QUOTE ]

still wrong.

howry has better career numbers and is significantly better this year. obv. marmol has done better.

best dressed reliever? best guy to come in and give up a lead off walk to start an inning?