Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2006, 10:49 PM

Default Re: Robbed at Gunpoint

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
With this in mind, what is my gameplan if someone steps to me and demands my belongings? Usually around here, the robber shows a gun tucked in a waistband or a pocket.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hand them over. Your life is worth more than the $100 in your wallet.

[ QUOTE ]
How about if they have a knife?

[/ QUOTE ]
See above. He can kill you almost as easy and much more quietly. Plus if he has any experience with the knife, you're screwed (ask anyone who takes kali/escrima).

[/ QUOTE ]

What about this?

Give him your $100, and as he is running away, pull out your concealed handgun and shoot him in the back. Then claim it was self-defense.

Or I guess you could just give him a non-fatal shot in the leg or something, which I'm pretty sure is allowed to keep him from running away, especially if he pulled a knife on you.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:56 PM

tough spot man.

i haven't read any replies and im sure some are taking the hard ass route, but i have had a knife on me a few times and its a scary situation. however BOTH times i knew the person (via reputation) holding the knife would have used it if i provoked them to.

glad your ok bro.

EDIT: just saw this was from last year, and that a gun was in question, not a knife (how did i miss that? lol). same thing basically, pulling a trigger may be harder to do for a person that stabbing them anyways.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My jiu-jitsu instructor used to kick me in the balls every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Contact the BBB, you are definitely entitled to a refund.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
knives are a lot scarier than guns

[/ QUOTE ]

How so? If I can get a step on a guy with a knife, I like my chances better than if he had a gun.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
knives are a lot scarier than guns

[/ QUOTE ]

How so? If I can get a step on a guy with a knife, I like my chances better than if he had a gun.

[/ QUOTE ]

knives are sharp so you can't really try to pull it away from him without risk of serious injury. but if you can grab a gun and try to point it away...
Old 04-27-2006, 11:31 PM

For those that say running, do you run away in random zig zags? Does that help at all?

Also, does anyone else think faking a seizure is a good idea? I think it is, but it'd have to be a feint for some sort of disabling move.

How stupid is attempting to fight back if you have no martial arts experience and only pure will? I'm guessing pretty damn stupid. Also for those of you with martial arts skills, do you fight back?
Old 04-27-2006, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For those that say running, do you run away in random zig zags? Does that help at all?

Also, does anyone else think faking a seizure is a good idea? I think it is, but it'd have to be a feint for some sort of disabling move.

How stupid is attempting to fight back if you have no martial arts experience and only pure will? I'm guessing pretty damn stupid. Also for those of you with martial arts skills, do you fight back?

[/ QUOTE ]

Zig zags can never be truly random. I like the running + screaming idea though.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
With this in mind, what is my gameplan if someone steps to me and demands my belongings? Usually around here, the robber shows a gun tucked in a waistband or a pocket.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hand them over. Your life is worth more than the $100 in your wallet.

[ QUOTE ]
How about if they have a knife?

[/ QUOTE ]
See above. He can kill you almost as easy and much more quietly. Plus if he has any experience with the knife, you're screwed (ask anyone who takes kali/escrima).

[/ QUOTE ]

What about this?

Give him your $100, and as he is running away, pull out your concealed handgun and shoot him in the back. Then claim it was self-defense.

Or I guess you could just give him a non-fatal shot in the leg or something, which I'm pretty sure is allowed to keep him from running away, especially if he pulled a knife on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

For you lawyers out there or those who know the law real well, are either of these legal in most states? Just curious
Old 04-27-2006, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please name one realistic and reasonable situation in which you would need to use lethal force to defend yourself from someone with their back to you.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please name one realistic and reasonable situation in which you would need to use lethal force to defend yourself from someone with their back to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I thought. So it's not legal. But like I said, couldn't someone just shoot them and then claim self-defense? Chances are the bad guy has a record anyway and the cops will buy your story, especially when they find the gun or knife on him.

This might even be the moral thing to do, because you'd likely be preventing another innocent person from facing the same mugging situation down the line.