FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Songs with cool stories behind them

i now see that about eight people beat me to it
Old 11-13-2007, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Man, Nice Shot by Filter

The song became notorious, as it was believed to be honoring the January 22, 1987, public suicide of Pennsylvania state treasurer Budd Dwyer, who shot himself during a press conference with a .357 magnum. A May 1996 interview with Filter in Addicted to Noise magazine and an official statement by the band confirmed this. Many have speculated that it could also be a lyrical paean to Nirvana's Kurt Cobain, who committed suicide. Filter explained in an official statement:

The song 'Hey Man Nice Shot' is a reaction to a well-documented public suicide. It is not a celebration or glorification of taking one's own life. The phrase 'hey man, nice shot' is a reference to the final act itself, an expression of guts and determination of a person standing up for what they believe is right. We are extremely sensitive and respectful to the family and friends of Mr. Dwyer. We have both lost friends to suicide and felt nothing but sympathy and loss for the victims, and those involved in such a tragedy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I like this song, too. And I have a grim fascination with the video clip of Mr. Dwyer's final moments.

For more recent stuff, Jens Lekman's "A Postcard to Nina" is, according to him, based on a true story, about how he visited his lesbian friend in Berlin and posed as her boyfriend so her Catholic father wouldn't suspect anything.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Interestingly, the song "Killing Me Softly" was apparently written about "American Pie", because Roberta Flack was so moved when she heard the song that she felt like Don McLean was, "singing my life with his words."

[/ QUOTE ]

A poem was written by folk singer Lori Lieberman after she saw McLean perform "Empty Chairs" and other songs. It was reworked by Charles Fox and Norman Gimbel into the song Flack recorded two years later.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A poem was written by folk singer Lori Lieberman after she saw McLean perform "Empty Chairs" and other songs. It was reworked by Charles Fox and Norman Gimbel into the song Flack recorded two years later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don McLean has more than one song wtf?!?!
Old 11-14-2007, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don McLean has more than one song wtf?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-14-2007, 12:51 AM

Last Kiss most recently and famously covered by Pearl Jam but originally recorded by Wayne Cochran & the C.C. Riders.

Wiki says:

"Cochran based the song on an incident in which several teens were killed and two seriously injured when their car struck a flatbed logging truck. Sixteen-year-old Jeanette Clark was out on a date in Barnesville, Georgia on December 22, 1962, the Saturday before Christmas. She was with a group of friends in a '54 Chevrolet. J. L. Hancock, also sixteen, was driving the car in heavy traffic and while traveling on Highway 341, collided with a trailer truck. Jeanette, the driver and another teenager were killed, and two other teens in the car were seriously injured. Cochran dedicated the song to Miss Clark.

Another sad song is The Freshmen by the Verve Pipe. Apparently it is based on the lead singer's ex girlfriend having an abortion and the guilt he felt from it. He did take 'artistic license' with the suicide part being untrue.

Kind of disheartening that 2 of the saddest songs I know (and like) are both based on true stories/incidents.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Notorious BIG - Gimme the loot

its about robbin people

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! Cool!

[/ QUOTE ]

not only people, but bitches too!
Old 11-14-2007, 02:05 AM

Chamillionaire - Void In my Life

^ Dope as fuuck
Old 11-14-2007, 02:06 AM

Also... any song by Slick Rick ... Scarface is a good story teller... along with some old school Nas
Old 11-14-2007, 02:07 AM

Billy Joel - Captain Jack