Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 12:27 AM

Default Re: why hockey is dumb

[ QUOTE ]
WFDeac & Jessica,

Do you understand basic logic?
Yeah, you make the agreement.... then with 2 minutes left and you get a power play. Why the [censored] would you keep the agreement? Also, since there's a chance the opponent may break the offer late in the 3rd, you have to play for the win as well. Seriously, go look up game theory and cartels/prisoner dilemmas like another poster suggested.

You also can't just hold a lead or keep a tie whenever you want. It's not that [censored] easy, get it through your thick skulls. I bet you two watch every sport where Team A is in the lead and then begin to swear at the TV when they blow the lead... 'cuz OMG WHY DIDNT THEY JUST HOLD THE LEAD?!@?

[/ QUOTE ]

did you read the thread? It WOULD be easy if they AGREED to have the game tied after 3 periods because the team thats winning by a goal or something in the third perioed would PURPOSELY give up the difference in the game to tie it up.

Also, why would a team try to score on the power play late ina game? The EV of that would be like maybe 1.7-1.8 points, but I'd MUCH RATHER not be shunned from an exlusive group of masterminded teams that will all make the playoffs.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:03 AM

I don't understand why football teams don't just flip a coin to see who wins. That way they can avoid injuries for the whole season!
Old 10-19-2007, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
WFDeac & Jessica,

Yeah, you make the agreement.... then with 2 minutes left and you get a power play. Why the [censored] would you keep the agreement? Also, since there's a chance the opponent may break the offer late in the 3rd, you have to play for the win as well. Seriously, go look up game theory and cartels/prisoner dilemmas like another poster suggested.

You also can't just hold a lead or keep a tie whenever you want. It's not that [censored] easy, get it through your thick skulls. I bet you two watch every sport where Team A is in the lead and then begin to swear at the TV when they blow the lead... 'cuz OMG WHY DIDNT THEY JUST HOLD THE LEAD?!@?

[/ QUOTE ]

did you read the thread? It WOULD be easy if they AGREED to have the game tied after 3 periods because the team thats winning by a goal or something in the third perioed would PURPOSELY give up the difference in the game to tie it up.

Also, why would a team try to score on the power play late ina game? The EV of that would be like maybe 1.7-1.8 points, but I'd MUCH RATHER not be shunned from an exlusive group of masterminded teams that will all make the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you really believe your scheme would go unnoticed by the teams that were not involved?
Old 10-19-2007, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
WFDeac & Jessica,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be easy if Chevron/76/Shell/Arco got together and formed a cartel to hike up gas prices as well, huh? Why don't you make you a thread saying "LOL WHY ARE ALL COMPANIES SO STOOPID, I CAN BE TEH BEST CEO"

Not only that, but if everyone is getting a point, then it really won't matter since the points will be inflated and teams will have to start playing for the 2 instead of the 1. Once one team breaks the agreement, every team that's involved falls out.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:41 AM

SOME EXAMPLES WHY HOCKEY IS NOT DUMB:

1) It does not rely on an umpire to call balls and strikes. Either the puck is in the net, or it is not in the net.

2) If a player on Boston's team taunts a player on the opponent's team - they can fight. And the benches don't clear. They usually stay out of the way and applaud the effort of their teammates.

3) The action is fast and more continuous than the other sports out there. While the other sports games get longer and longer, hockey has worked to keep their games moving.

4) Hockey has a great combination of skill and luck imo.

5) You have to man up to play hockey. I have seen plenty of games and if you aren't accountable for you actions, you will eventually get yours.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
WFDeac & Jessica,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Another thing that has yet to be brought up is players are paid for producing. A player wants to make huge money on his next contract, so he's not ever going to agree to intentionally not scoring goals. Well, I bet this is the point where you say, "Well, they should just make it 10-10 after 3 periods!". Nope, now the goaltenders and defensive players stats are hurting.

Basically, if you are an offensive player aren't scoring any goals (even if you team gets lots of points) you aren't going to be making millions of dollars.

So, yet another reason why no one would intentionally agree to spend the first 60 minutes of a hockey game playing to a tie. Sure, maybe with a few minutes left in a tie game they could agree to just phone in the rest of regulation, but you aren't getting it to happen from the first drop of the puck.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
regular season sudden death overtime is silly

they should go to a 3-2-1-0 point structure like pudge is saying, but they won't because it will ruin the record books, not like it hasn't already the way they're doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I'm not a hockey fan, but I am assuming based on what I read in this thread that if the game is tied in regulation but a team wins in OT or shootout, the losing team is awarded 1 point. This is truly dumb. Either let ties stand, or award winner 2 points, lose 0 regardless of whether game is decided in OT or regulation.

I wouldn't say hockey is dumb, but the NHL certainly is. I will list a few reasons:

1. Ridiculously long regular season that serves no purpose other than to eliminate the teams that really suck. Okay, the NBA does this too, but it is still dumb.

2. "I went to see a fight and a hockey game broke out." If I want to see a fist fight, I'll put on a boxing match or ultimate figting match. If you punch another player, you should get a fine and suspension, with escalating penalties for repeat offenders. This is how it works in every professional sports league but the NHL. In the NHL, you have to cause life-threatening injuries to get suspended. It may be a tradition in the NHL to "drop the gloves" but it is still dumb.

3. Canadians: Okay I'm an American and I just couldn't resist the urge to get in a little dig at the folks to the north who didn't have the balls to break away from the British. To be fair, it wasn't the Canadians who elected G.W. Bush twice, so maybe I don't have much room to talk about Canadians being dumb. But I only voted for him once. Honest.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:01 PM

Haha obviously they wouldn't play not to win from start of game. I was just talking about phoning it in the last few minutes and I think that it is a bad system since it promotes that.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3. Canadians: Okay I'm an American and I just couldn't resist the urge to get in a little dig at the folks to the north who didn't have the balls to break away from the British.

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously, there's only six teams in Canada and it's supposed to be 'their game.' What's up with that?
Old 10-19-2007, 01:53 PM

I like the way the NHL used to do it. I have always thought that the whole 3 points in a game idea was stupid.

Bluefox's idea was also good though. I mean, I prefer the old system more than anything, but his system >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;> the way it is now.