Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Asshole?
Yes! 23 74.19%
No! 8 25.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2007, 05:20 PM

Default Re: I don\'t feel like waiting until tomorrow night- NFL POWER RANKINGS

I'm not even arguing that the Pats have better offenses than either the Colts or the Cowboys. It's close, but both teams probably have an edge over the Pats right now.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:22 PM

Power Rankings should come with individual blurbs. Shows you actually put some thought into it.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No one seems to mention that Dallas is playing better offensively and has better numbers than the Pats.

[/ QUOTE ]

which numbers?

[/ QUOTE ]
We have to wait for tonight of course, but through 4 weeks Dallas has more total yards per game, more pass yards per game, and more points per game, all against better average defenses (even after yesterday Giants still have better average numbers defensively than the Chargers). We'll see tonight what the Cowboys do. The Pats put up 38 on the Bills.

[/ QUOTE ]

again, I think you need to look a bit deeper than the traditional stats. The Pats haven't been in a close game yet, and have taken the throttle off a bit early. Dallas has had 2 blowouts, but they were in a shootout with the NYG, and the Miami game was close right until the end.

but anyways, I agree with Kyro that it's kind of silly to debate. all 3 teams have great offenses, and if the Colts are better than the Pats (or vice-versa) it's by very little.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dallas is playing better offensively than anyone thought they would

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, this is wrong.

Dallas had a ton of weapons last year but a coach that wanted to play ball control and was too stubborn to open up the offense. You still were able to see signs of explosiveness from them but as soon as you did old-school Parcells was putting the clamp down, it was so tough to watch every week.

When he left and they hired Jason Garrett as the O-Coordinator everyone in Dallas was doing somersaults b/c he is greatness...all we needed now was a coach to let him do what he does. Then they hired Wade Phillips, sweet! Easy going Wade, someone who will let Garrett have full reign with the offense--perfect.

See, they had all the pieces last year but nobody to move them. Here in Dallas we all knew this was going to be one of the more explosive teams in the league, we were just hoping that the defense would get healthy and gel. Both of those are starting to happen and hopefully will continue to happen.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:39 PM

Dallas is on pace to score 608 points, which would break the NFL record by 52 points. I think he's saying that they are going to slow down. either that, or they're the best offense in NFL history, which nobody expected. You could say the same for NE.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:40 PM

tdarko, many people including myself thought romo = grossman based on their very similar collapses at the end of last year. He's kinda sticking it to me now, but between that and the insistence that julius jones being any part of the offense I'm certainly shocked.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:41 PM

tdarko,

Romo dude. No one expected him to be the best QB in the league through 4 weeks. So I think it's fair to say they're playing better than expected. That doesn't mean the expectations were low.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No one seems to mention that Dallas is playing better offensively and has better numbers than the Pats.

[/ QUOTE ]

which numbers?

[/ QUOTE ]
We have to wait for tonight of course, but through 4 weeks Dallas has more total yards per game, more pass yards per game, and more points per game, all against better average defenses (even after yesterday Giants still have better average numbers defensively than the Chargers). We'll see tonight what the Cowboys do. The Pats put up 38 on the Bills.

[/ QUOTE ]

again, I think you need to look a bit deeper than the traditional stats. The Pats haven't been in a close game yet, and have taken the throttle off a bit early. Dallas has had 2 blowouts, but they were in a shootout with the NYG, and the Miami game was close right until the end.

but anyways, I agree with Kyro that it's kind of silly to debate. all 3 teams have great offenses, and if the Colts are better than the Pats (or vice-versa) it's by very little.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is very wrong. The Pats have done the exact opposite of taking the throttle off early. They have consistently gone for it on 4th and short with huge leads and a bunch of crap to that nature.

I also agree this is pretty silly. These teams are going to play each other and then we will see. My whole point from the beginning has been the Pats haven't played anybody good yet, haven't had to play from behind, so really haven't proven anything to me yet. They walked through the cake part of their schedule, good for them, but their season starts for real next week. The Cowboys, Redskins, Colts, Ravens and Steelers are all playing very well defensively, and that is a little more than half of the Pats remaining schedule.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am still not sold on the Pats. All the teams they have played so far rank at the bottom of the league for defense, so putting up 30+ every game is not that special. Dallas is going to be the first team they play this year that has any semblance of defense.

Defensively they have been impressive however. Holding the Bengals to under 20 is very good (though they were one idiotic miscommunication between Chad Johnson and Carson Palmer away from getting at least 20).

So just based on strength of schedule I have to put the Colts above the Pats. This weekend will be the test.

I also include Dallas in the top class list.

[/ QUOTE ]

care to make a wager? I'll take NE +3 @ Dallas.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? Why would he bet that when he can have a much better line elsewhere?
Old 10-08-2007, 05:51 PM

it was typo, I meant to say -3, which spurned further idiocy on my part