Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Re: i am an embarrassment

good luck coach, kill it
Old 10-01-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nation, sorry but none of this sounds like a good idea. You've got what...6 months living expenses in the bank and you're burnt out from poker and the solution is to play an insane amount of poker? That just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

So let's say you make your monthly nut from doing this...now what? Are you going to do it again? You're burntout from poker, the solution should not be more poker.

If you really are burntout and worried about money, get a job (seriously), a real job with career prospects and take some real time off poker. Then gradually reintroduce it by playing parttime and if you still love it go pro again in a year or two.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the only good advice here

even if you don't get a job, at least volunteer somewhere doing something you enjoy or think you would enjoy

variety is the spice of life...
Old 10-01-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But if you've ever had as many real jobs as I've had

[/ QUOTE ]

A real job is one which you can earn a living wage off of that can sustain a family. Not that job working in the bakery at Panera or stocking groceries or delivering pizzas or working at the theatre or whatever other of these "real jobs" you talk about that can get you by week to week. Thats not a "real job" thats called a grind.

If you actually mean "real jobs" like an ASP developer or draft engineer or something that can actually turn into a real career, then well, I apologize. But don't try to make it sound like you can't get anywhere with just a "crappy associates". I make 50+ a year with "just a crappy associates" - and I'm underpaid for what I do.

/rant

[/ QUOTE ]

you know i have a "real job" working 40 hours a week and i basically do jack [censored] all day. i wear torn jeans to work, get to keep my piercings in, i sit at a desk posting on 2p2 and get a 500$ paycheck a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way man, $500 a week? Unpossible! And with torn jeans + piercings!!1
Old 10-01-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But if you've ever had as many real jobs as I've had

[/ QUOTE ]

A real job is one which you can earn a living wage off of that can sustain a family. Not that job working in the bakery at Panera or stocking groceries or delivering pizzas or working at the theatre or whatever other of these "real jobs" you talk about that can get you by week to week. Thats not a "real job" thats called a grind.

If you actually mean "real jobs" like an ASP developer or draft engineer or something that can actually turn into a real career, then well, I apologize. But don't try to make it sound like you can't get anywhere with just a "crappy associates". I make 50+ a year with "just a crappy associates" - and I'm underpaid for what I do.

/rant

[/ QUOTE ]

you know i have a "real job" working 40 hours a week and i basically do jack [censored] all day. i wear torn jeans to work, get to keep my piercings in, i sit at a desk posting on 2p2 and get a 500$ paycheck a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way man, $500 a week? Unpossible! And with torn jeans + piercings!!1

[/ QUOTE ]

forget the piercings and paychecks and whatever. The one thing i miss about my old job is jeans to work. i [censored] hate "slacks" i hate black socks and nice shoes every day. i [censored] hate it.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:50 PM

Most people your age don't have 12k.. OTOH poker life is tough, and so it is important to have a cushion financially. GOod luck dude.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:54 PM

You might want to skip 200nl and jump straight to 400nl
Old 10-01-2007, 04:04 PM

LOL at being 23 and fretting over wasted opportunities. I'm 38 and have made over $100k for 6 out of the last 7 years and did pretty well before that. I owe about $65k I think. And I don't own a house.

I should probably look into where that money went. But I really don't care. My goal is to be running my own business or charity or something late into life. Not sitting around playing golf, constantly monitoring my dwindling pile of money, while my brain turns to mush.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL at being 23 and fretting over wasted opportunities. I'm 38 and have made over $100k for 6 out of the last 7 years and did pretty well before that. I owe about $65k I think. And I don't own a house.

I should probably look into where that money went. But I really don't care. My goal is to be running my own business or charity or something late into life. Not sitting around playing golf, constantly monitoring my dwindling pile of money, while my brain turns to mush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, being a poker pro gives a person insight into what it's like being retired. and for the most part, it sucks.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW there was a debate in MSNL a little bit ago, and a large % of the posters said that 2 mil wasn't enough to retire at 30.

[/ QUOTE ]

laff

I find this quote hysterical.

I'm pretty sure I could live comfortably for 2 million starting now, and I'm 27.

I'd like to find that thread and read what people said. I'm be curious if there are actually any truly insightful posts.

Of course I would agree 100% if that 2m was a single static pile of money that only went down and never accumulated any wealth on its own - but that just wouldn't be the case. High yield money market funds etc etc.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
forget the piercings and paychecks and whatever. The one thing i miss about my old job is jeans to work. i [censored] hate "slacks" i hate black socks and nice shoes every day. i [censored] hate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

qft dude. im not lying when i say this was one of the reasons i dropped out of law school. i hate dressing up with a passion that defies reason. i haaate it. im so uncomfortable all day, it takes ages to dress in the morning, i hate ironing, i hate tucking in shirts, i hate looking like a [censored] muppet. if i go to grad school and become a professor, they let professors wear jeans right?