Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 09:06 AM

Default Re: ***SSNL LIFE THREAD [OCT]***

Jay,

In short, the American Revolution was about Taxation Without Representation. From memory, I believe it started with the Stamp Act (maybe one or two small ones before it) and of course progressed to tea (Boston Tea Party) and a bunch of other stuff including the act where colonists had to board British soldiers without remuneration. Around the time Britain essentially declared martial law (no right of assembly) the Boston Massacre occurred and that pretty much guaranteed the escalation of hostilities.

(This is all from memory of classes I had 25 years ago. I'm sure I messed up the timeline, but the facts are basically correct.)
Old 10-01-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some of my other mates think i should buy him a new duvet set, yes or no?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really dont think you should buy him a new one, maybe help out and pay for half, but why didnt he towel up the water or do something to it before it leaked all over his room?
Old 10-01-2007, 01:08 PM

Trent Edwards is clearly the next Peyton Manning. Or maybe the next Tom Brady. Or maybe some sort of superhuman Brady/Manning mutant football cyborg that wins the league MVP and Superbowl every season. Hard to say at this early stage of his career.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:10 PM

wtf kil
Old 10-01-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Some of my other mates think i should buy him a new duvet set, yes or no?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really dont think you should buy him a new one, maybe help out and pay for half, but why didnt he towel up the water or do something to it before it leaked all over his room?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is like, just putting his duvet in the wash an option?

You should have left a note that the toilet was clogged, so it's a tiny bit your fault - but he should have done something besides stand there and watch the toilet water run everywhere all over the floor.

I'm sure we've all taken some desperate measures we'd prefer not to recount in those panicked moments when the toilet water starts going everywhere.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jay,

In short, the American Revolution was about Taxation Without Representation. From memory, I believe it started with the Stamp Act (maybe one or two small ones before it) and of course progressed to tea (Boston Tea Party) and a bunch of other stuff including the act where colonists had to board British soldiers without remuneration. Around the time Britain essentially declared martial law (no right of assembly) the Boston Massacre occurred and that pretty much guaranteed the escalation of hostilities.

(This is all from memory of classes I had 25 years ago. I'm sure I messed up the timeline, but the facts are basically correct.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah the Stamp Act set it off in a lot of ways, but it was just bound to happen. I mean, you get a bunch of random guys on an island and tell them their ruler is on some othe random island, eventually the guys will say eff it this is our island now biatch ldo.

I don't think there's any "true" history out there about something like this. It's all so subjective. I remember in school the British government was pretty much demonized. Taxation without Representation! Religous persecution! Later in life I saw some stuff about the famed Stamp Act that indicated the British government was spending tons of cash on putting troops in the colonies to protect the citizens from Indians and the what not. This cost a ton of cash obv, so the Brits felt it would be fair if the colonists shouldered some of this cost, as they were the primary beneficiary of these troops. I dunno, that sounds pretty reasonable to me and not something I'd want to go like, kill people over *shrug*.

It all pretty much boils down to the fact that colonists were sick of getting bossed around by random people from another corner of the earth (in a time with no like, communications/planes/whatever so the distance was huge) and fairly/rightly/justly or not said 'screw you guys I'm the HNIC now'.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Was it really my fault ssnl? What couldve I had done different?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh when your girlfriend is freaking out because she just got molested by some creepo in a dark staircase, you could act like you care and trouble yourself to go have a look around. She needs to feel safe and protected around you. Sometimes at night my girlfriend would think she heard something, and sometimes if she was actually kinda scared I'd have to humor her and go scout the house for intruders. It's kinda lol, sometimes checking for monsters under the bed is just part of being a man.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:35 PM

lol, is it just me or does Kil still seem more emo than I am even though he now has a gf and is getting laid?
Old 10-01-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol, is it just me or does Kil still seem more emo than I am even though he now has a gf and is getting laid?

[/ QUOTE ]

he does but at least he is getting laid
Old 10-01-2007, 01:59 PM

what is with ur new undertitle?
Closed Thread