Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 04:47 PM

Default Re: The state of Notre Dame football.

[ QUOTE ]
Weis is also an alumni which is huge

[/ QUOTE ]

just too many "fat" jokes in this statement...
Old 09-21-2007, 05:33 PM

Ty goes 10-3 his first year, but it's someone else's kids. Charlie Weiss goes 10-3, and he's given a lengthy new contract.

Gerry Faust goes 5-6 his first year, and the high school football coach *resigns* after *3 more* mediocre years.

And yet, the only thing we are sure of is that race had absolutely nothing to do with Ty's treatment. Pro teams were interested. Charlie is an alum (I'm crying here-- was he Rudy's roommate?) Okay. But not even a little? Absolutely nothing? We're sure?

Notre Dame is playing big time college football, eating up folks and spitting them out. That is their privilege. Apparently a consensus developed that Ty was taking them in the wrong direction so he got unceremoniously dumped-- doesn't have to be fair.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ty goes 10-3 his first year, but it's someone else's kids. Charlie Weiss goes 10-3, and he's given a lengthy new contract.

Gerry Faust goes 5-6 his first year, and the high school football coach *resigns* after *3 more* mediocre years.

And yet, the only thing we are sure of is that race had absolutely nothing to do with Ty's treatment. Pro teams were interested. Charlie is an alum (I'm crying here-- was he Rudy's roommate?) Okay. But not even a little? Absolutely nothing? We're sure?

Notre Dame is playing big time college football, eating up folks and spitting them out. That is their privilege. Apparently a consensus developed that Ty was taking them in the wrong direction so he got unceremoniously dumped-- doesn't have to be fair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it possible that both Charlie and Ty are not up for a job like Notre Dame?
Old 09-21-2007, 06:36 PM

We know Ty can't meet expectations, he had one luckbox year and couldn't recruit, at least at this point Weis has had two decent to good seasons, 05 obviously being better than 06, and has put together three straight good recruiting classes. This latest stretch is troubling to say the least, I can't think of an elite coach who has looked this bad at any point in their careers, but I wouldn't say the book is completely closed on his potential unlike with Ty.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We know Ty can't meet expectations, he had one luckbox year and couldn't recruit, at least at this point Weis has had two decent to good seasons, 05 obviously being better than 06, and has put together three straight good recruiting classes. This latest stretch is troubling to say the least, I can't think of an elite coach who has looked this bad at any point in their careers, but I wouldn't say the book is completely closed on his potential unlike with Ty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ty has improved Stanford from a basement dweller to the Rose bowl. He also looks to be doing a good job in Washington with much improvement. The case might very well come out that Ty is a much better coach than Weis.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Notre Dame fans-

How did you guys get convinced of the youth excuse? I'm somewhat interested in how pieces of misinformation like that percolate through groups. Notre Dame is not remarkably young and plenty of other teams are having success with underclassmen in important positions.

How do your brains ignore Tebow et al.?

[/ QUOTE ]

teams with underclassmen excelling also tend to have great junior/senior cass players at various positions. you don't normally see football teams being carried by freshman and sophomores all over the field
Old 09-21-2007, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ty has improved Stanford from a basement dweller to the Rose bowl. He also looks to be doing a good job in Washington with much improvement. The case might very well come out that Ty is a much better coach than Weis.

[/ QUOTE ]

And sandwitched around his Rose Bowl season (a 4 loss Rose Bowl season, I might add) was a 3-8 and 5-6 season. He is a 100% completely mediocre coach at best, he's coached for 12+ years and is a total of 5 games over .500, and he can't recruit consistently. No other coach in college football gets the pass that Ty does.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No other coach in college football gets the pass that Ty does.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean outside of Bob Davie and Charlie Weis I assume.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:54 PM

Weis really gets a pass, back to back BCS games (last years probably was undeserved, but myself and Sagarin would argue that 05 was a pretty damn good football team) and people are already wondering if he'll make past another season. As for Davie, everyone hates Davie, ND fans and people who have to deal with his footbawl analysis alike, so I'm not sure what pass you're seeing there.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:04 PM

I was thinking that Davie got 4 years, and Weis is a >10pt home dog against Mich St-- but it doesn't matter because this years a bye.

Ty was, in your words, a luckbox to go 10-3, but it was Weis who was awfully lucky to escape Mich. St, UCLA, & Georgia Tech last year.