Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 11:39 AM

Default Re: film: 3:10 to Yuma

I think the logicians that can't wrap their minds around the transformation of Crowe's character are misinterpreting a lot of the details and missing the point in general. The character's evolution, or maybe even self-actualization, was exhibited. I don't think questions of whether or not a normal person would want Charlie as a second in command are very relevant. Sure, it isn't practical for him to do it, but he knows all the bad things Charlie, and the gang, and himself have done -- this is why he refers to them all as animals ("every last one of them")while they are holed up in the hotel room. We also know that Crowe's character has some deeper sense of right and wrong as per his open condemnation of Peter Fonda's character for killing innocent Cherokee women and Children. Of course this doesn't lead us to expect what happens at the end of the movie, but it does allow us to believe (combined with his desire to leave with the bar-maid for mexico, his urging Bale and son to leave and spare their lives, his apparent admiration for Bale's character -- exhibited from the beginning to the end of the movie -- AND charlie's blatant disobedience in the final act) that there may be some deep misgivings and conflict over his own behavior. To me, this creates sufficient plausibility for the character's transformation. All this, without getting too deep into the psycho-analytical arguments for why Crowe might want to rid himself of the demons of his past and what his crew might represent to him... Anyway... This movie is way too good to let a little disbelief ruin it. I love Bale in everything he does (check Rescue Dawn, Hard Times, the Machinist, Batman Begins, The Prestige, etc.), but all the acting was exceptional -- the son, charlie, and Crowe all nailed their roles... Go see it and decide for yourselves.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:05 PM

I just saw this movie yesterday. I thought it was fantastic. It really came together once they got to Contention. Great work by Crowe and Bale.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:13 PM

So none seems to remember Ben asking his lady friend early on in the movie if she wanted to go to Mexico with him? Seemed to me that he wanted to get away from his crew. As for the whole, why didn't he run away when he had a chance. As you find out later, he escaped twice from Yuma. How worried could he be?

The endings make sense to me, as long as you look deeper than the surface. Both men had very interesting lives and backstories, you just happen to find out about most of it in the last 45 minutes of the movie.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:22 PM

I really enjoyed this. Ben Foster absolutely nails his role. Bale and Crowe were also good as usual.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:29 PM

The most plausible explanation to Crowe's motivations about everything isn't some deep inner meaning that can be gleamed about his character etc...its that he is bored/depressed. The guy needs some Paxil

He stays at the bar and bones the barmaid eventhough he knows he will probably be caught cuz he's like who cares...i'm bored with life anyways.

He stays with the group despite multiple chances to shoot them and leave because he likes [censored] with them and its something to do and hes bored with life anyvays.

He acts like a doofus once at Constellation cuz he's bored n why not have a little fun [censored] with them some more.

Even when he's running with Bale he's like whatever...I'm bored and don't care that much if I die...I'll go along with this dog and pony show despite the fact people are shooting at me and I'm unarmed etc.

Then he finally is like ok I'm sick of playing this game time to kick Bale's ass and go back and join my gang...then Bale gives his..but "my son doesn't respect me speech" and Crowe is like "ZOMG..thats so moving". Ok I'll run in front of you to the train station and let my guys shoot at us for a bit.

The problem is once it established that Bale and Co. really have no power over Crowe what so ever and he can basically kill them or leave at any time...the scenes loose tension/suspense.

The sets also looked like they cost $10 and were shot at a Disney theme park.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:18 PM

I just didn't care about any of the characters. the fact that wade could kill at will and chose not to in many situations made you know that neither bale or his son was ever in real danger. there was no suspense. to me, a good western puts you on the edge of your seat and this one failed miserably at even getting me excited.

also, i really didn't enjoy the shooting scenes. they talk up bales marksmanship and we never see him getting nice with a rifle, it's just run and gun. i really like scenes where an awesome shot goes buck wild. we saw a little bit of it from wade and his number 2 man but it was pretty boring overall. for a big budget film, the action was pretty damn boring.

edit - just read CDS's post, looks like we have similar taste in movies. i pretty much agree with everything you said. i like my westerns full of bad-asses (good, bad, and ugly) this movie just had some guys who were good at robbing trains and killing certain people. no bad-asses in sight.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The most plausible explanation to Crowe's motivations about everything isn't some deep inner meaning that can be gleamed about his character etc...its that he is bored/depressed.

[/ QUOTE ] No offense, but this is the dumbest [censored] I have ever read.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The most plausible explanation to Crowe's motivations about everything isn't some deep inner meaning that can be gleamed about his character etc...its that he is bored/depressed.

[/ QUOTE ] No offense, but this is the dumbest [censored] I have ever read.

[/ QUOTE ]

he let's himself get caught at the beginning of the movie. what explanation is there for this? don't try and tell me he was attempting to get the lady to run away with him. he made it clear that he could have escaped if he wanted to. why does he do this? he is bored of robbing trains, feels that his life is empty and is looking for a challenge.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:17 PM

I don't think he let himself get caught in the beginning. Also, looking for a challenge? WTF.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think he let himself get caught in the beginning. Also, looking for a challenge? WTF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Salt...he's warned by his man that they need to leave or he'll get caught..yet he hangs around and draws some naked chick.

Then once he's captured he has like a zillion opportunites to kill the guys taking him to hang or simply escape on his own.

Again this occurs once he gets to the train station.

He likes to [censored] with people and obv gets off on it.
So he plays along despite being able to leave whenever he really wants to...people who play games to ammuse themselves usually do it to escape boredom/ lack of satisfaction with their current situation/life.

Either that was the case or he's the dumbest [censored] criminal who ever lived.