Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who here has actually had AA beat all-in preflop?
Once 6 5.71%
I fucked your sister 43 40.95%
And your mom, too 56 53.33%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 01:55 AM

Default Re: September\'s Bells and Schools Thread

take a wander over to oot. very cool story.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Moby Dick is pure torture. The interest begins and ends with "My name is Ishmeal." Is that a Spanish name. Who cares. If you are so required to read it, do not buy the unabridged version. The Cliff Notes are hard enough to stay awake through.

[/ QUOTE ]

The more we talked about Moby Dick in my Am Lit class last year, the more it grew on me. But I can tell you with 100% certainty that I was the only one who would say they even moderately liked it at the end of the class. Most people just didn't want to put in the time it took to appreciate a lot of it. Shrug.

I agree though, it is pretty bad in many ways. I would never recommend it to anyone, as they would never listen to my opinions again.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:13 PM

So, anyone who's interested in beer, who's checked out the beer club thread in here before but thought the thing was too huge, or even regular participants in that thread will probably be interested in this. I've made a sorted index that compiles the collective beer wisdom of 2+2. If you're looking to spice up your drinking, it's definitely worth a look.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:47 PM

Wow, MrWookie, very nice! Thank you for doing that. That must have taken you awhile.

So are there any red or brown ales out there that I can drink without gaining any weight?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:15 PM

Well, sorry hun. Alcohol = calories, and there's not anything you can do about it. Even a shot of vodka, which is pretty much nothing but alcohol, will have about 90 calories. Comparable amounts of alcohol from beer will run you 100-150 calories or so, maybe more for some really sweet beers like anything given the name imperial, lambics, tripels, and quadrupels. The fact that a beer doesn't add all that much on top of the base alcohol calories. If you're really concerned, the only solution is to drink less. On the other hand, beer isn't that much worse than anything else, since the stuff in beer doesn't add that much more to your waistline than the alcohol. If you're going to drink a certain amount of alcohol, you can do it with two lite beers or one good beer, and the two will have comparable caloric content. Might as well drink something that tastes better, right? I'd check out the beer styles you enjoy, and then perhaps explore some others of the same style that have lower alcohol content.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:36 PM

Huh. I didn't realize that the forum software cut off my index post, since all of it showed up in the preview. Anyway, here's the whole thing

Index Page 1 - Altbier through Belgian Strong Dark Ale
Index Page 2 - Belgian Strong Dark Ale through Imperial Stout
Index Page 3 - Imperial Stout through Winter Ale, plus Hard Cider tacked on the end.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Comparable amounts of alcohol from beer will run you 100-150 calories or so, maybe more for some really sweet beers like anything given the name imperial, lambics, tripels, and quadrupels. The fact that a beer doesn't add all that much on top of the base alcohol calories. If you're really concerned, the only solution is to drink less. On the other hand, beer isn't that much worse than anything else, since the stuff in beer doesn't add that much more to your waistline than the alcohol. If you're going to drink a certain amount of alcohol, you can do it with two lite beers or one good beer, and the two will have comparable caloric content. Might as well drink something that tastes better, right? I'd check out the beer styles you enjoy, and then perhaps explore some others of the same style that have lower alcohol content.

[/ QUOTE ]

150 calories per beer? No problemo! I will just cut out my daily bagel/swiss cheese and substitute a beer in the evening. I don't like light beers. I prefer ambers.

Curious, do you know how many calories are in a glass of Guinness? I think it tastes like burnt caramel. It's super thick and heavy.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:42 PM

If I remember correctly, Guinness claimed that one of their beers had ~120 calories in their ads.

Edit: According to Wikipedia, 20 oz of Guinness has 198 calories, so yes, a 12 oz bottle is about 120 calories. A 14.4 oz can (I think that's the size of the cans) would be just over 140 calories. This is largely due to the fact that Guinness is a fairly weak beer, just over 4% ABV.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Huh. I didn't realize that the forum software cut off my index post, since all of it showed up in the preview. Anyway, here's the whole thing

Index Page 1 - Altbier through Belgian Strong Dark Ale
Index Page 2 - Belgian Strong Dark Ale through Imperial Stout
Index Page 3 - Imperial Stout through Winter Ale, plus Hard Cider tacked on the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol! I thought it looked a little short. Wow, this is even better! So how long did that take you to put it together anyway?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:48 PM

Wook,

wow. that's some good work
Closed Thread