Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 07:30 AM

Default Re: RFID ( Radio Frequency ID ) chips, George Orwell\'s Prophecy

Is it my imagination, or does Chertoff look like a Nazi that would have been proud to keep the stoves burning as long as possible?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I already have no meaningful privacy, and no illusions that I do. I am already nonviable apart from society, so I have no choice but to conform to societal norms. Already the Neocons do whatever they want whenever they want.

How can this situation get any worse? Are the Neocons going
to start destroying technological progress just to maximize human suffering? Are they going to start reeducation camps for everyone who doesn't believe in Jesus? Those sort of things hardly make sense...I mean, we're dealing with power-obsessed, amoral people here, but they're not exactly aligned with Lucifer.

[/ QUOTE ]

So because you feel that you already have no 'meaningful' privacy, you're completely fine with completely destroying whatever might be left for EVERYBODY ELSE? This is stupid. You're still sidestepping the glaring fact that just becuase YOU think RFID is fine, that EVERYBODY should feel its fine and deal with it being forced upon them.

Even if you currently are fully entrenched in society, it doesn't mean you can't remove yourself partially. It doesn't mean that you can't change your current state. It doesn't mean that everybody else is in the same boat as you.

And I think your first statement is completely false. Privacy does still exist. If the government wanted to find you RIGHT NOW, you could very easily make that difficult if not impossible. With RFID that becomes several orders of magnitude harder.

You have been been given examples, yet you keep demanding examples? What do you want? A documented case where RFID has been abused? Why would that make a difference? Again, though, this is completely aside from the real problem with RFID which I have reiterated over and over again.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it my imagination, or does Chertoff look like a Nazi that would have been proud to keep the stoves burning as long as possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he looks like Mr. Burns.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:49 AM

Can anyone show where any of the other 7 industrialized nations give their citizens less rights than the U.S.?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:58 AM

For those of you who are not worried about this, talk to some random about, or a friend or loved one, most know nothing about this and most (in my experience) are outraged and shocked that this is happening.

Their standard replies are "No way this happens", to which I would say "It already is, May of 2008..."

Seriously, give it a try.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone show where any of the other 7 industrialized nations give their citizens less rights than the U.S.?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no right to free speech in Britain, and ownership of firearms is severely limited.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Goodness people, BIG BROTHER IS ALREADY HERE. If Big Brother is unacceptable, then please start a revolution and quit whining about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The government and technology have already headed off any possibility of that. When the founding fathers adopted the second amendment (as a check on government power) the guns that individuals had were the same as the ones the army used. Now the military has aircraft, tanks, nukes, submarines, etc. and individuals have to jump through all sorts of hoops just to get a pistol. Unless there's some sort of nuclear holocaust or huge disease epidemic or something, there's no way this government can be overthrown from the inside other than a military coup.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Many big name security measures have been broken quickly after released. DVD copy protection, the new iPhone, various public key encryption schemes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Can't believe no one has mentioned that when the UK rolled out RFID chips in their passports a few years back, they were hacked in less than 48 hours.

http://blog.wired.com/sterling/2006/..._watch_fi.html

As for human-implanted RFID chips, it has already been demonstrated that they can be quickly cloned for the purpose of identity theft.

http://blogs.reuters.com/2006/07/22/high-tech-cloning/

That being said, if your that worried about it, carry your ID card in a shielded case, or even moreso, don't carry it around with you.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:55 PM

Heh, just trying to see if I could get anyone to really go out on a limb.

Actually I will leave the country and never come back if RFID is made mandatory.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:58 PM

I am thinking the same thing. I have spent some time the past few days thinking about which country to move to. Nothing good comes to mind.