Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 02:31 AM

Default Re: The mark of the douchebag

Old 08-24-2007, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Kanji/chinese character tattoos, special double-douchebag points if you dont speak the language.

Bluetooth headsets.

Popped collars.

[/ QUOTE ]

what if it's kanji, but you don't speak japanese, but it's your name (and you are japanese, obv)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you are Japanese I dont see how anyone could have a problem with it. Its a bit weird getting a tattoo of your own name though?

I knew this guy (faof) named Mike. He got a big tattoo down his arm in katakana (basic phonetic japanese script) that said "MAIKU". He was a douchebag.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Puffy hats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like this?

Old 08-24-2007, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
emon,

I'm gonna be honest and say that people who wear sports jerseys to game generally suck - I don't think that makes them "douchebags" per se, but that they trend towards being blue-collar weirdos. I have not a single friend who has ever worn a team player jersey to a sporting event, ever. But I do see a lot of guys with mullets and wispy mustaches sporting them along with their sweet jeans shorts and tennis shoes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're generally off here. Maybe it's because you're in the oh so ripping sports town of PHX. I'm generally not a jersey fan, but I've got Sox and Mets fans friends who wear jerseys to games. And I'm like 80% on buying a Garnett jersey even though I'll never wear it.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Wow yeah that would be a terrible idea!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it really is.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know if you noticed this, but all four of those links have the exact same tone as your post. Basically they think it's lame because....well, because they think it's lame. No reason really. And they feel the need to rip on people.

This is the kind of petty crap that bugs me. I mean, does anybody really care about this kind of stuff? tbh I don't think they do, it just makes them feel good for whatever reason to pick on others for stuff that is absolutely inconsequential. Because if they picked on people for stuff that actually matters, they'd have to back it up with logical arguments, and that's a scary thought for some I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]
Bingo! I was going to say the same exact thing. Every one of those articles was written by a....douchebag!
Old 08-24-2007, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
emon,

I'm gonna be honest and say that people who wear sports jerseys to game generally suck - I don't think that makes them "douchebags" per se, but that they trend towards being blue-collar weirdos. I have not a single friend who has ever worn a team player jersey to a sporting event, ever. But I do see a lot of guys with mullets and wispy mustaches sporting them along with their sweet jeans shorts and tennis shoes.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you feel about wearing them not at the game? Particularly for college or just out of college aged people (obv it would look weird on a 35 yo).

FWIW I just got an Ichiro jersey and I plan to wear it a decent amount. I'm also gonna get a Seahawks jersey soon and wear it as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jerseys are completely age dependent. When the late 20's roll around -- it gets kind of weird. When I had season tickets for the Pirates, there was a late 30;s guy one section down and one over that wore a replica with his name on it to every single game.

ROSENBERG

For a whole season. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2007, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
emon,

[/ QUOTE ]
Tuq,
Have you ever seen/been to a hockey game? Especially at playoff time? 99.9% of the fans wear the team jersey. On the other hand, I don't like it when people wear random jerseys to a game that aren't the jersey of either team involved.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
emon,

[/ QUOTE ]
Tuq,
Have you ever seen/been to a hockey game? Especially at playoff time? 99.9% of the fans wear the team jersey. On the other hand, I don't like it when people wear random jerseys to a game that aren't the jersey of either team involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hockey fans don't wear jerseys, they wear sweaters. And they have dozens of them, causing them to spend time deciding on which to wear. Grown men actually call each other to discuss this.

And yes, it's bizarre, but not douchey. Hockey is a weird cult which I'm a part of, but not the sweaters bit. The douches in hockey are the soccer mom and Izod dad that bring the two kids to the game and spend the entire game parading back and forth to the concessions stand for two little bastards that spend an entire 37 seconds looking at the ice.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Kanji/chinese character tattoos, special double-douchebag points if you dont speak the language.

Bluetooth headsets.

Popped collars.

[/ QUOTE ]

what if it's kanji, but you don't speak japanese, but it's your name (and you are japanese, obv)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you are Japanese I dont see how anyone could have a problem with it. Its a bit weird getting a tattoo of your own name though?

I knew this guy (faof) named Mike. He got a big tattoo down his arm in katakana (basic phonetic japanese script) that said "MAIKU". He was a douchebag.

[/ QUOTE ]

my japanese name consists of the same characters as my grandfathers, but in reverse order. My grandfather was, hands down, my favorite adult when i was growing up, and, since i was the only grandchild in the family for ten or so years, I was very close to him. I gave my son my grandfather's japanese name and i got our names on my shoulder, next to each other so it looks like this
XY
YX
I don't speak fluently (i'm fifth generation, so it's not like it was spoken at home), so i hope this isn't too douchey.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:43 AM

Things I agree with so far:

certain tattoos, blue tooth headset, popped collars, most of what lapoker said.

I think OP is mixing up lame and douchebag on the T-shirts and beach stickers. Back east I used to see VT and MV all over the place, most on family cars. Is it lame? Sure. Is soccer mom a douchebag? Not even close. Same with the T-shirts, though I think this has more overlap with the douche crowd. You can tell when a douchebag is wearing last year's event T-shirt to state: "listen people I've been here before. I know what's going on. I'm pretty important" and when someone just thought "hey cool we're going again this year.. I know.. I'll wear my t-shirt!!" The latter is sorta lame and goofy, but it's essentially harmless.