Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 03:39 PM

Default Re: OOT. Time for a change.

Can I have a star? I hate my new title. F OOT, NT IS GAY ETC ETC.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:39 PM

Survivor is only worth it if we could get another RJ level meltdown, and I just don't see that being topped.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok this is why i don't like to start threads about rules in OOT. because it always ends up degenerating into a retarded discussion of something completely random and obvious, like why lol -aments isn't allowed.

guids, sorry your buddy got banned, he will be back in like six hours, get over it and STFU about LOL-aments. stop derailing the thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

His comment wasn't about the LOLaments in specific, it was an example of how moderate. you're a [censored] headcase who is in a good mood one day and a reasonable mod and the next day you're in a bad mood so you lock 50% of the new threads that you deem unworthy
Old 08-22-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
guids,

the point, as others have said, is that there were hundreds of -aments posts in OOT and it got stupid. so we made a rule. now people who break it get a little reminder that it's not allowed.

this is how OOT works. there are rules. you have to follow them. if you don't, bad [censored] happens.

if you don't like it, mat has instructed me to let people know that the lounge is looking for posters.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point is sometimes you just throw the * out and give some smart arse remark. With no timetable of when the poster might lose their * of shame. Where you could say "here's your * next time read sticky. Be a good boy/girl for a month and it'll go away."

Last time I read the sticky about the * it never says when one might lose their *. It only says if you do something really good one day you might get it back.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The good thing about a star is that it gives real incentive not to suck, because it stays with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you mess up is it supposed to stick with you forever, even after you wise up?

[/ QUOTE ]

It shouldn't and doesn't.

It's not hard to not get a *.

[/ QUOTE ]

But nowhere does it say how long the * stays there. One person said they havn't sucked for 6 months (I understand that's their opinion) and they still have their *.

So how long does it stay and should you be notified when you receive one as to why you did receive it?

It seems I'm very passionate about this subject when I'm really not. I just don't like the fact that some people aren't told why they got their * and when they'll lose it (based on their nonsuckiness [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2007, 03:46 PM

jay,

who is that chick in the picture you posted in kolo's BBV thread? bitch is fiiiiine
Old 08-22-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been in favor of ditching the star-system and going for more locks/deletions/temp-bans for some time now so the fact that I still think that shouldn't be that surprising.

Some posters who get stars don't look at that as an incentive to get better really. Sometimes they don't even know what they did wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree that posters should always be PM'd why they got a star. Otherwise, how are they going to know not to do the exact same thing and get two more and be outta here without ever knowing why?

[ QUOTE ]
Other OOT'ers seem to think that the stars are a significant incentive and deterrent to keep from sucking in OOT though so I'm really not sure.

I guesss I don't understand why you can't just put them in the user-notes and then let the user know via the thread or PM that they screwed-up or something...as opposed to just scarlet-lettering them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think these two go together. Seeing someone else's star is cautionary and helps maintain community standards; nobody is going to see someone else's PM and learn from it not to make the same mistake.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:49 PM

guids is owning this thread. WTF is up with us agreeing all of the sudden?
Old 08-22-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the asterisks are getting a little stagnant. I am sure OOT can come up with something more fresh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Instead of *, go with <font color="red">A</font>.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The bad thing about a star is that it gives real incentive to not post in OOT, because it stays with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure that is a bad thing. How many star-worthy posters do we need? If a star-worthy poster gets pouty and decides to take his ball and go home, is it really a loss worth worrying much about?

Lots of people have lost their stars, or gotten one and just kept posting. I dunno that someone possibly having an emo reaction is reason enough to change a policy.