Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 07:19 PM

Default Re: King Yao-ing College Football Season Wins

4 extra games for a couple teams means tons of extra injuries and no study time for finals. As long as we're wishing, I'd like a pony and to win powerball.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:41 PM

Miami @VT and @BC are just a touch low, but otherwise looks very good to me.

Risk is that O-line gels after 3 years and/or the former #1 QB recruit finally remembers how to play like a star. Not optimistic, but D should keep at least 10 games close at a minimum.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:23 AM

4 extra games isn't a big deal... make the regular season 11 games again, you have 2 teams playing 15 games or 16 max with a 12 game season.

Right now you have 12 game season + conf champ + bowl = 14 games.

2 teams playing 1 more game... that's the same as a +1 format, and so 15 games isn't a stretch at all.

They would have the same amount of time to study for finals as a team that plays a conf champ game or an early bowl, depending on when you schedule the games.

Every other sport and every other division of football finds a way to make playoffs work. Finals, injuries, season length, travel schedules clearly are not the problem. It's money.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4 extra games for a couple teams means tons of extra injuries and no study time for finals. As long as we're wishing, I'd like a pony and to win powerball.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is such an awful idea, why do the DIAA, DII, and DIII programs all use it? Because I'd wager many of these programs graduate far more of their football players than your typical SEC powerhouse.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:29 PM

I'm ROFLing at the notion that Michigan will only be 5' point favorites at Northwestern. It made me snort, too.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is such an awful idea, why do the DIAA, DII, and DIII programs all use it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your comparison of a DIII playoff game to the BCS Nat'l Championship, and the 3 extra games before that which would be needed is laughable, and you know it.

I suppose you think D3 linebackers hit as hard too?
Old 08-13-2007, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is such an awful idea, why do the DIAA, DII, and DIII programs all use it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your comparison of a NFL playoff game to the BCS Nat'l Championship, and the 3 extra games before that which would be needed is laughable, and you know it.

I suppose you think NFL linebackers hit as hard too?

[/ QUOTE ]

This just makes such a great sub from something that seems like it makes some sense to something utterly insane.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your comparison of a DIII playoff game to the BCS Nat'l Championship, and the 3 extra games before that which would be needed is laughable, and you know it.

I suppose you think D3 linebackers hit as hard too?

[/ QUOTE ]

DIAA uses this format, and they have many good athletes who can hit as hard as DI players. hitting hard is not 'special', it's something anyone with speed and size can do. It's momentum, not talent.

You're trying to sound superior, but i don't really think you've examined your own POV. What is it exactly that would make this so much worse than EVERY OTHER LEVEL OF FOOTBALL IN THE WORLD. HIGHSCHOOL. COLLEGE DIAA-DIII. PRO.

There isn't really a good reason to not have a playoff. Sure, hard hits, injuries blah blah blah. Every other level of football deals with it. Academics, please. DIAA-DIII have playoffs, and they have much truer 'student-athletes' than football factories in DI. Maybe the academics are better BECAUSE of the playoff system, lol. Or maybe it wouldn't make a lick of difference.

We are talking about only 4 teams that would deal with this anyway. Some team ends up playing 13-14-15 games every year anyways, so why not just cut the schedule back to 11 or 12 games, and then have the 16 team playoff? A bunch of teams would play 1-2 extra games, just like a bunch do now, 2 teams would play 3 extra games (losers in the final four) on top of the 11 or 12 reg. season, and 2 would play 4 extra (national championship game teams).

I think it's pretty laughable that you act like this would be so awful for the sport or w/e it is you think exactly.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:23 PM

I really do think a 16-team playoff would dilute the regular season too much. If you're a fan of a really powerhouse I-AA team (like Montana) the regular season is just as meaningless for you as it is for a Duke basketball fan. Montana has made the playoffs 14 years in a row and when certain I-A programs were up, it would be a foregone conclusion that they would make the playoffs before the season started. Michigan for instance, would probably be looking at about a 95% rate of making the playoffs since Carr took over and the losses to Ohio State would be far less significant.

An 8-team playoff would be perfect though. Those late-season games like Louisville/Rutgers and Rutgers/West Virginia would still have been meaningful and a team like LSU that got the raw end of the scheduling would still have a chance to prove themselves. Also, this is the only method that would give any team that went 12-0 on a reasonable schedule a chance at the national title. The fact that Boise State last season, and Utah and Auburn before them never had any chance at the title despite winning every game they played is proof of a flawed system and there will be always be a hint of illegitimacy to the college football national champion until that flaw is fixed.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:00 PM

Just want to add one thing and say that I think:

8-team playoff > 4-team playoff > current system > old bowl system > 16-team playoff.

It seems kind of arbitrary to draw such a huge distinction between an 8-team playoff and a 16-team playoff, but I really think that when you start letting any team that would qualify for a decent bowl compete for the national title, you're losing the essence of what makes I-A football so fascinating.