Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 11:06 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost
Default Re: Beat: I caught one of my students plagiarizing

Have you gone UFC on these kids yet? I don't think I'd be able to teach in a class where I know the majority of kids aren't doing jack.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been teaching undergrad psych courses while in grad school. My second semester, this guy turns in his final paper, and it's a different writing style than I was used to from him. I google a couple sentences - copied verbatim from some paper-writing "help" site. Googled further and the buy-a-paper site had taken the paper from a psychologist's personal page describing their consulting services.

I spent a few hours documenting every sentence that was plagiarized, emailed the kid saying we have to talk about his paper, and he doesn't even try to defend himself, just starts giving excuses. Next day he comes into my office and starts telling me how his mom's a psychologist and is going to be so disappointed with him, his dad just had a heart attack and now might have another, and he's on academic probation already, and if he fails this paper he'll be kicked out of school, blah blah blah.

My policy in the syllabus was plagiarism gets a zero for that assignment and a report to the dean's office, and that's what I did. I don't know what happened to him after the semester ended.

Anyway, stick to your guns, OP. You can't really go back on your 80% policy, but next semester make it harsher.

[/ QUOTE ]
Honestly? You won't cut a guy slack even once?
Edit: JW, why was your post replying to mine?
Doubled edit: Don't know what I was thinking. I had a moment of empathy there, but that kid def deserves a 0
Old 08-01-2007, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
these kids have to fail the paper at the very least.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 08-01-2007, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly? You won't cut a guy slack even once?
Edit: JW, why was your post replying to mine?

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't cut slack for an ENTIRE 7-page paper taken from the internet. If it had been like a couple sentences that he had forgotten to cite the source of, maybe. He was a junior, too - you should know better by then.

If you mean me about why the post was replying to you, it was a reply to that "It does not take that frickin' long to paraphrase a few pages" post.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
83% of college seniors admit to some form of academic dishonesty at least once some time during their college career

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
beat: I am currently serving a one year suspension for academic dishonesty

[/ QUOTE ]

Info/pics?

[/ QUOTE ]

Last year I was slacking a ton at school (I go to Columbia) and was doing really bad in all my classes. I felt the only way I could pass my classes was to cheat on my finals. Unfortunately my calc professor caught me cheating on the final exam. =( I obviously failed the class and ended up receiving a one year suspension.

Beat: I am the zeejustin of the ivy league
Old 08-01-2007, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doubled edit: Don't know what I was thinking. I had a moment of empathy there, but that kid def deserves a 0

[/ QUOTE ]

Just saw your double-edit. A lot of me wanted to be sympathetic, but you gotta stick to your guns.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:13 AM

In college I had many connections with people who amassed old tests from professors. Many times professors would not change their tests or make very little changes. I got access to their old tests and often breezed through the class/tests because of the similar exams. How does this rate on the immorality scale?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In college I had many connections with people who amassed old tests from professors. Many times professors would not change their tests or make very little changes. I got access to their old tests and often breezed through the class/tests because of the similar exams. How does this rate on the immorality scale?

[/ QUOTE ]
Most profs I have encountered make a new test every year, and have us use ones from previous years as a study guide.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wow you should probably look back and see what else she "wrote"

are you kidding?? a max of 80% now? she should auto-fail at least the assignment.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-02-2007, 12:34 AM

I can't believe people copy/paste straight out of wiki. Just go down to the god damn linked references and sources listed and read those articles. A lot of the hard parts of researching are already done for you.