Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 06:24 PM

Default Re: bowling fanatics

I don't get it...the last 4 games I've bowled were 183, 185, 166, 139 for a 168 average, and that is using absolutely zero curve whatsoever. I bowl like 2 games a year, so this sample size may be small, but it spans over a year. The 139 was last weekend in a game that started X X X in the first 3 frames, but I was getting tired and drunker and my ball was tailing off about the width of the ball by the time it struck pins.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:46 PM

You are right in what it is now. This was not the original intention of Sport Bowling is what I am trying to say.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The second part of this is incorrect (mostly). I have crossed pairs in some regional events and not have to change my line in a single game at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's true on TV, though, where the lights will affect the shot a lot. I've read several accounts of pros where they say that they have to move after every shot because the lanes are breaking down.

[/ QUOTE ]

The lights do affect the lane quite a lot due to the heat. More affecting the players causing them to move each shot during a TV set is what is done in the lead-in practice time. There was a huge uproar recently about it, but they will often take a dull (like sanded 160-grit dull) ball to dry up a line to bounce off of. This gives them a well defined area of the lane that they can play on even tough shots. This, along with the issue of the heat from the lights, can make them have to make an adjustment every shot over a whole TV show. Sometimes it is not quite so necessary - watch any show with Mika K in the first match and he will play the same line at least half of the game. His loft over the heads makes this possible. Others with much less hand in the ball (Duke, WRW, etc.) can also keep their line much longer.

As for the post someone above made about knuckles like walnuts... if your equipment is properly drilled, you shouldn't have an issue like that at all. For those of us that used to like to plant at the foul line to get huge leverage... maybe our knees are appearing that way years later.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:51 PM

I just want to brag that I recently picked up the 8-10 split in the 10th frame of a heads up matchup in league play against this total jerkoff to win by 2 pins. I bounced the 10 out. First time I ever picked up that or the 7-10.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are right in what it is now. This was not the original intention of Sport Bowling is what I am trying to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know man. I never heard anything like that and I have been bowling on them since the beginning. I was in bowling in college when they first started getting popular. I don't see how anyone could have ever thought it was possible, but who knows.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:48 PM

I do agree it doesn't sound practical for reasons we both know.

I've read a few articles about it when it first was being developed. They were in the monthly US Bowling mags or whatever it was called then or else I'd try and find some links online.

Also, when I worked at a bowling alley up in Albany, they had a few regional proprietors meet at our place and that was one of the major pitches the ABC was using. It may of just been a regional marketing strategy, who knows.