Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 11:01 PM

Default Re: My friend drives drunk

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Most accidents are caused by human error. Of all the contributing factors to driving errors, where does driving drunk fit in? Is it better or worse than talking to a passenger in a car, better or worse than changing your radio, better or worse than changing lanes without signaling or looking, better or worse than speeding 30+? Is it better or worse than driving tired (hint: it is about the same).

Myself, I like to have reasons for holding opinions. Particularly for condemning, and even jailing, those that disagree. I guess you just go with what upset mothers tell you. They are neutral and reliable after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but why compound to human error (which will happen no matter what) by adding driving impaired to the mix? It is a voluntary and avoidable situation that causes more unnecessary deaths.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Those are all avoidable behaviors that compound human error. Which are better and worse than drinking and driving? I am guessing you have no idea. Is it immoral and worthy of outrage to engage in any of them?

[ QUOTE ]

I work with victims of drunk driving on a regular basis and see what it causes- so trust me, it's not "upset mothers" giving me this information.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seeing accident victims in no way gives you any information on the severity of drunk driving. It actually biases you and makes you less likely to be reliable.

[ QUOTE ]
And who said anything about jailing those who disagree? I don't really know what that means or what that applies to.

[/ QUOTE ]

OH RLY?

[ QUOTE ]
Call police next time he does. No excuse for it. CO has a number you can call if you are on the road and suspect someone is driving drunk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am pretty sure you are just here trolling, or an idiot. Either way I am ignoring you now.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:05 PM

Well, depending how much heat you want to take, you could sicc the cops on him the next time he tries to be stupid....
Old 07-16-2007, 11:06 PM

"Recent immigrants, mostly Hispanic. Many of them don't even have a valid license and they're not used to U.S traffic laws. Plus they like to drink lots of Tequila"

classic
Old 07-16-2007, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't kid yourself, MADD has everyone believing that anyone who blows a .08% or higher is suddenly going to drive like someone playing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

The reality is that someone with a high tolerance to booze, coupled with reasonable driving skills and experience is not a big threat to other drivers.

The more likely and real threats are:

Hardcore felons who exhibit anti-social behavior, driving while under the influence of meth, crack, or pcp

Teens who are very inexperienced behind the wheel. Unfortunately, they usually end up killing themselves and their passengers when they lose control of their vehicle.

Recent immigrants, mostly Hispanic. Many of them don't even have a valid license and they're not used to U.S traffic laws. Plus they like to drink lots of Tequila

[/ QUOTE ]

stats?
Old 07-16-2007, 11:14 PM

WKRP knows all.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Waki,

We need more info.

How old is he?
Where does he usually drink? (bars? parties? in the city? in the suburbs?)
When does he usually drink? (every night? once a weekend?)
Who does he usually drink with?
Do you two live close?
How drunk is he driving? (a couple beers or [censored] canned?)
How far is he driving?

[/ QUOTE ]

The most important question is, is does he accept its a problem when he's sober? If not then there is nothing you can do about it besides calling the police.

I have a problem with drinking and driving too. Three things work for me:
1. wife/friend won't give me the keys
2. we take a taxi or get a ride to said event/bar so we don't have anything to drive home
3. we sleep at a friends place (although quite often I'm pretty sure I'm still drunk in the morning when I drive home)

My advice for you would be to offer to drive him to where ever you will be partying before you start boozing it up.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:16 PM

Ugh, whatever, last post then. I never said I wasn't biased, it's pretty obvious I am. Just look at how many fatal accidents were alcohol related, then make the same argument.

And LOL, I said put someone in jail for breaking the law (shocking, I know), while you said: "Myself, I like to have reasons for holding opinions. Particularly for condemning, and even jailing, those that disagree. " So, it's not jailing someone for opinions or disagreeing, it's for breaking the law. Weird concept, I'll grant you that.

Oh, and after thinking about it more, I actually probably would not call the cops on a friend. That was easy to say about a stranger and in a vacuum...if it actually were my friend, that would be my last resort. I would just do everything I could to keep him from doing it (be the DD if I have to, call him cabs, etc).
Old 07-16-2007, 11:25 PM

so you'd babysit him before you'd make him responsible for his own actions?
Old 07-16-2007, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't kid yourself, MADD has everyone believing that anyone who blows a .08% or higher is suddenly going to drive like someone playing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

The reality is that someone with a high tolerance to booze, coupled with reasonable driving skills and experience is not a big threat to other drivers.

[/ QUOTE ]

How to respond to a post like this:

1. Start with an ad hominem attack.

2. Insert anecdote about drunk driving incident involving someone you at least vaguely know.

3. Offer your idea as to what imaginative form of torture should be bestowed upon drunk drivers in order to demonstrate your own toughness.

4. Feel smug.

Note: post must be void of numbers, statistics and logic.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LetItBe = pwning this thread

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I'm just sure that plenty of others don't want it turning into a politics thread so they've chosen not to respond. But LetItBe can continue on if he wishes

[/ QUOTE ]

Too late to avoid the politics. Hopefully some people will chime in with some practical solutions that won't cost him his job though!