Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 09:18 PM

Default Re: LOL Matt Cain and Brian Sabean, hell the Giants in general

[ QUOTE ]

I'm looking over their payroll situation. They've been flat for the last three years and are forking out $2m to Tim Worell and $4.7m to Armando Benitez.

[/ QUOTE ]

Signing FA relievers to deals like this is terrible.

[ QUOTE ]

Bonds is still very reasonable at $15.8m. I'm sure that will come down a little next season.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just my opinion, but I think the re-sign of Sabean signals the full 15.8 mil coming off the books next year (though they owe him a lot of deferred monies still I think). Otherwise I don't see the point in keeping Sabes and Bonds, unless they plan to continue with their current direction.

[ QUOTE ]

The Zito deal is horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

'nuff said.

[ QUOTE ]

Morris is owed $9.5m for 2008 with a $9m option for 2009 with a $1m buyout. That's a very reasonable contract and should net something worthwhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cept his ERA is finally starting to approach his FIPS and he's looked terrible the last month. Maybe if the Giants would eat some salary it'd work but I don't think Morris by himself is worth too much anymore.

[ QUOTE ]

Durham is signed for $7.5m in 2008. It looks like he might be at the end with all those extra Ks, so they might want to dump this one. Then again, they need somebody to man the infield and it's only one more year.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was actually not a bad signing and at the time I had no problem with it. Aint looking to great now though...

[ QUOTE ]

This is Feliz's walk year. He seems like the only homegrown Giant producer, if you want to call it that, over the last several seasons. That's $5.1m off the books

[/ QUOTE ]

Last year was Feliz's "walk year" as well and well we saw what happened there.

[ QUOTE ]

Roberts is locked in at $6.5m over the next two years, a pretty good bargain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not bad if you look at the deal in a vacuum.

[ QUOTE ]

Randy Winn is signed at a reasonable $8m for 08 and $8.25 for 09.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where the Roberts deal now looks terrible. You already had Winn signed for the next two years to play CF, where he's probably average or a little above. Now you have to move him to RF, where he is definitely not nearly as valuable, especially when you have Lewis/Schierholtz seemingly ready to play. Starting veterans over the only semblance of prospects you may have is the trademark Sabean move (Coletti too obviously, Nomah and Pierre > Kemp and Loney LOL).

[ QUOTE ]

Aurilia is locked in for $4.5 next season. That's not too much, but not terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

To play 1B this is absolutely terrible. He has a .630 OPS... .630. .730 would already be terrible, .630, I don't think they have words for that one.

[ QUOTE ]

Molina is owed $6m in 08 and 09. Again, too much but not violently so.

[/ QUOTE ]

3 year deal for a 32 year old C when by most account no other teams were very interested is a bad deal period. Hell the only reason he had to do this was because he had signed Mike Matheny to a 3 year deal and he can't play anymore (yes kind of a freak injury, but he was old and terrible anyways). You'd think he'd learn, but not.

[ QUOTE ]

Klesko has been well worth the $1.75m. Maybe they should shop him as a cheap alternative to Adam Dunn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure they are and this was a great lowrisk, high reward deal that is the entire opposite of Sabean. If all the deals he handed out to Roberts or Molina were 1 years like this no one would have a problem with him.

[ QUOTE ]

Steve Kline is a cheap effective loogy at $1.75m.

[/ QUOTE ]

He will be traded even if for some C prospect, he has pretty much no worth and if he isn't moved Sabean is a total [censored].

[ QUOTE ]

Lowery is dirt cheap through 2008 and only $4.5m in 09. Call me crazy, but I think his value is as high as it will ever be right now. I might consider moving him for some position player help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lowry is an extreme product of the park, he has a 5% hr/fb rate and a .5 hr/9 rate which won't last. He should be dealt for positional help while he still has some value as he doesn't have any control and his bb/9 and k/9 are moving in the opposite directions of which they're supposed to

[ QUOTE ]

Mark Sweeney make a whole $950k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incredibly redundant on this team and still a mistake, even if only a million dollar one.

[ QUOTE ]

Other than Zito, there aren't any really bad contracts on this team.

[/ QUOTE ]

No there are more than a few.

[ QUOTE ]

The real problem is there isn't that one offensive player making far less than he's worth due to not having a real position prospect in what seems like 100 years. That's the problem at this point. No position prospects. There's also nothing available at short in the free agent market, so might as well keep Vizquel for one more year. If I had control of this team, I'd probably try to move Lowery for an impact pre-arb bat. Obviously the hands are tied regarding Bonds, it's his choice. To be honest, it's probably better for the Giants as a business if he comes back.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of this was good and true up til here:

[ QUOTE ]

Overall, not a terrible effort by Sabean, all things considered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope it was terrible.

[ QUOTE ]

If this team had run well, he'd be in the market for an offensive upgrade.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would have had to run hotter than Jaime Gold to make this statement true.

[ QUOTE ]

Since the west is as good as it is this year,

[/ QUOTE ]

And as it will probably be for the next many years since every other team is incredibly youthful and have most of their players under control for at least 2-3 years.

[ QUOTE ]

move Morris for something usefull, see what happens with Bonds, and give it another shot next year. If Bonds retires in one of the next two years, you're in the perfect situation to rebuild just by letting everybody walk.

[/ QUOTE ]

With their huge, overpaid (cept Barry of course) paychecks. Which they were given of course by yours truly, Brian Sabean.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:36 PM

The Zito signing alone should qualify him as a terrible general manager. Period.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Zito signing alone should qualify him as a terrible general manager. Period.

[/ QUOTE ]

especially if it is done during the "rebuilding" phase the giants are supposedly in right now, makes it even stupider by the very logic rpewu is using
Old 07-18-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

especially if it is done during the "rebuilding" phase the giants are supposedly in right now, makes it even stupider by the very logic rpewu is using

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe the Giants were rebuilding coming into 2007.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Let me get this straight. Heading into 2001, you are saying to yourself, "I've got Barry Bonds, he's about to go on one of the greatest tears in baseball history that will last until 2004. I should start a mini re-building process right now."

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf? you SUSTAIN a successful franchise with an influx of plus prospects. that's how you are good -- cheap labor. who says the only way you can be competitive in the present is by abandoning drafts? no, that's the only way you'll be able to sustain your quality unless you happen to have the greatest player of all-time in his prime.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:32 PM

7 IP, 3 runs, another loss...then they put up 10 in the first 7 innings in the nightcap. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

I also have this gnawing fear that there is going to be a big extension coming Rajai Davis' way...
Old 09-16-2007, 08:40 AM

Update:

9/15: 6 IP, 77 Pitches, 1 H (looked like fan interference ended up being a triple), 1 ER, 0 BB, 6 K.
Pretty much a perfect game without the fan interference.

Top of 7th:
Molina singled to center. (No wai)

Eugenio Velez ran for Bengie Molina (Good, PR for the old fatass)

Aurilia reached on fielder's choice to pitcher, Velez out at second. (Expected)

Feliz doubled to left, Aurilia to third (maybe a pinch runner would've scored from first huh)

Daniel Ortmeier ran for Rich Aurilia. (Huh PR for him now WTF)

Vizquel intentionally walked (OMG They're Loaded!!1!)

Ryan Klesko hit for Matt Cain (Klesko 2nd Half SLG .331, Cain 2nd Half SLG .409)

Joe Thatcher relieved Doug Brocail (This wasn't really necessary)

Guillermo Rodriguez hit for Ryan Klesko. (LOL 10 year minor league catcher, but its lefty vs righty makes sense ISBOCHYRITE)

Rodriguez grounded into double play second to shortstop to first, Vizquel out at second. (HYACHAAHCHACHAHCHACHA)

End of Inning (0 Runs, 2 Hits, 1 Walk, 0 Errors, 1 sad Matt Cain)

Bullpen comes in gives up 5 runs, Giants lose 6-0, Cain gets the L to move to 7-15.

20 wins looks unattainable now. But Cain is currently tied for 12th in the NL in ERA, and second place with 15 losses (Damn you Kip Wells). So an outside shot at a top 10 ERA, and still could go 7-17, pretty sweet.