Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Car under $25,000 (and request for general new car buying advice)

I haven't read the thread, but my parents just bought me (last October) a 2007 Scion TC with a spoiler, surround airbags, etc., and I am incredibly pleased with it...I believe it was 23k but it includes 2 panoramic sunroofs, an incredible sound system, etc. Its also super cute even for boys
Old 06-28-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i was in your shoes 2 years ago. i test drove a camry, accord and mazda6. i drove the mazda6 last and instantly fell in love with the speed, power (220hp), great handling, and even the breaking felt differently. i got a loaded 05 V6, moonroof, and all the trimings for less than $23,000. im very happy with my decision. look around and i noticed diff. dealerships are willing to beat others.

ps- also, fwiw, i think the guys suggesting a 2-3 old used car is very very good advice. if i could do it again, i would of def. took an older BMW or audi for less than 25k. but depends on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

We test drove a Mazda6 a couple months ago and we were instantly turned off by all of the red guages on the dashboard. THe car seemed really small inside also. The Camry we test drove seemed much roomier, and the panel had softer light guages.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As others have said the Mazdaspeed 3 is awesome... it will out perform any new car on the road that costs less than $35,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

incorrect

it won't outperform a MINI
Old 07-04-2007, 02:55 PM

mitsubishi eclipse runs for about $20,000 stock, $25k fully equipped, more if you want it to be really good
Old 07-04-2007, 06:20 PM

Hey, I live right across the river from you. I just bought a used Toyota Corolla and couldn't be happier. I shopped around at the bigger dealerships, but most of the cars were too pricey. I ended up finding a smaller dealer in Penn Hills and eventually buying from there. Best advice I can give is shop around, sites like autotrader and whatever else is out there are pretty useful so that you can have info on the cars before you go and check them out.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Haven't seen it posted yet, so I'll recommend a Mitsubishi Galant ES/SE. It's a Japanese car that's just as well-built as a Camry/Accord, but is a little cheaper for the same amount of extras. I've been in the market the past couple months and have noticed reviews for the new Camry's aren't that great.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 2006 Galant GTS which I got for around 21k. I talked the guy down then hit him for 4500 in rebates. It is a great car to drive. Lots of pep (230hp) and handles well. the only drawback as far as I can tell is the turning radius is pretty damn wide.

Anyway, someone mentioned in this thread that there were problems with the cars. I have not experienced any issues with it nor do I know anyone that had anything bad to say. He may be talking about the older smaller galant. The new models have gotten very good reviews. However their resale is not on par with Honda and Toyota, then again what is.

I needed the big engine for the nutty (fast) way I like to drive. If you do not require as much pep the 4 cyl. version is much cheaper.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:05 AM

jared,

i had this situation and bought a Mazda3.

While many might suggest the 3speed, a first problem is likely that it is manual *only.* (Likely that wife at least wouldn't want that as daily driver, not insulting your manliness, obv.)

The car is fun to drive, reliable, and will hold value. It requires very little maintenance.

I test drove the honda fit, and hated it.

I test drove a variety of versions of the mazda 3 and decided on the s touring.

we looked at the civic and accord and found various reasons not to buy them, from shallow ones like "everyone has one of these" to realizing that the hondas in general make you pay for ANY options at all, including [censored] like floormats. there were a variety of things you cannot get at all on a civic, and they are not as cheap as you'd think. the accord is just well, a different size of car, it's huuuuuge. but yeah, go sit in a civic for a minute and if you don't hate it well, bully for you.

you should probably at least LOOK at some of the VW cars, but honestly once you start looking at nice passats, you're pushing the top of the 25k boundary.

the minis are actually nice cars, and very fun to drive. just be sure you never want to put a bunch of [censored] in your car.

amongst the mazda 3 choices, you should get in an "i" and then get in an "s" and realize that the extra engine oomph is really worth it (as well as some interior options that just make you disgusted in the i versions. pick amongst the s groupings based on what you want. honestly i wouldn't get the sport, i'd get either the touring or grand touring, with the grand basiclaly having a cd changer, a sunroof, and maybe leather seat availability?

anyways, that's my input on the sub 25k new car market, from when i did this, including having asked 2p2, last december.

obviously the toyota options in the price range, and the hyundai cars, are also reasonable, and someone on the forum who is a toyota salesman pointed out that he really can't say anything bad about any of the mazda, honda, or hyundai choices.