Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 12:31 AM

Default Re: How much is Oden worth?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
david sterns wawawawawawa spurs>>>>suns always have been always will be

[/ QUOTE ]

The spurs had no chance if Amare & Diaw played game 5. They barely beat the suns 5 man rotation.

The spurs are mythical champions. They were the third best team and lucked out because of a monumental upset and a horrendous league ruling. They'll never win another championship with this aging crew.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay. Guess you guys can hoist the mythical title while the Spurs hoist the real one (btw I hate the Spurs). I'll bet you the Spurs will win another title rather than the Suns with Steve Nash. Spurs still won game 6 and probally would have won Game 7.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hahaa... it's funny when Artdogg and Tuq do it. You just sound like an ass. "no chance" lol. They were the best team heading into the playoffs and everyone, including the Suns, knew it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if you asked the Suns, to the man they'd say they thought they were as good or better entering the playoffs. The spurs beat them in two squeakers in SA, one in overtime with Amare coming off the bench (still recovering), and the Suns whipped them in the only game in PHX. And there is no way Dallas thought the Spurs were the better team.

And the Sun's led the entire game 5 until the final seconds playing Kurt Thomas (Kurt Thomas!) as their only post player, and barely playing their bench. Do you really think the spurs would have been within 10 pts if Amare and Diaw are rotating in for those exhausted guys?

Isn't it interesting that the only other game the Spurs were able to win in Phoenix Nash missed the final critical minute?

The Spurs would have had a good shot had it gone to game 7, but I still think the Suns win that 70% of the time.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:45 AM

It doesn't matter what they "thought." Adjust for opponent, off eff and def eff and the Spurs were the best team entering the playoffs. Sorry.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

lol @ possibly never being able to reach his old level being fine. That leaves you with a nice PF who has so far been dependant on a great PF to feed him easy baskets who has horrendous defense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nash missed 6 games this year. Amare averaged 25.2 pts and 11.2 rebounds over those 6 games without any point guard to feed him. Is that what the Carlos Boozer's and whatevers average?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
WOW YOUR SMALL SAMPLE SIZE TOTALLY CONVINCES ME OVER AMARE'S 68% ASSISTED FIELD GOALS, ESPECIALLY SINCE AMARE SHOT 55%+ WITHOUT STEVE NASH HIS ENTIRE CAREER.

Try again.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your contention is that Amare didn't struggle without Nash due to sample size???? That somehow Amare found superhuman adrenaline and played out of his mind for 6 games and was due to revert to a line much worse than his season averages had Nash not returned?

Try again.

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, Amare averaged a whopping 34 minutes in the playoffs. Yeah, he really could give the Suns 36 minutes -- oh, wait, 40 minutes now -- right? That's why he didn't when it counted the most.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said coming off the bench and fouls. He still had foul trouble in the playoffs. If he doesn't solve the foul trouble he'll never be much better than he was this season.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't matter what they "thought." Adjust for opponent, off eff and def eff and the Spurs were the best team entering the playoffs. Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was asked what the Sun's thought. They thought they matched up well with the Spurs and would beat them.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was asked what the Sun's thought. They thought they matched up well with the Spurs and would beat them.

[/ QUOTE ]

The team that has beat them pretty much since Nash came over, and they had confidence to beat them? They should learn from their past games, they don't match up that well with the Spurs, maybe better than the past, but still not "significantly better." Honestly I'd prefer a league more like the Suns and less like the Spurs but history has proven in the NBA that teams more like the Suns with a traditional offensive unit and a post defender win in the playoffs. They might not always win the most regular season games but they are the team best built for the playoffs in the post Jordan era other than the Lakers with Shaq and Kobe.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:14 AM

Very few teams can even trade for him with cap space considerations.

Team would have to have a low paid young star or a high draft pick along with something else to offer.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And the Sun's led the entire game 5 until the final seconds playing Kurt Thomas (Kurt Thomas!) as their only post player, and barely playing their bench. Do you really think the spurs would have been within 10 pts if Amare and Diaw are rotating in for those exhausted guys?

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot basketball was this static entity where you could take the results of a past contest, then assume "throw in <player A> and they win that game." Who knows how it would've played out had Amare not lifted his dumb ass from the bench. Maybe the Suns don't come out with a chip on the soldier. Maybe Kurt Thomas doesn't come out with as much fire and play good ball versus Duncan. Maybe the Suns absolutely roll them. You just can't say crap like that. It'd probably be a close game, like the games generally had been.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
they are the team best built for the playoffs in the post Jordan era other than the Lakers with Shaq and Kobe.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason that is not necessarily true is that just because it's EASIER to win the Spurs' way doesn't mean it's the BEST way. The Suns are an anomaly -- the majority of teams are trying to be the Spurs, not the Suns. Again, it goes back to ease of execution of said system.

[ QUOTE ]

Your contention is that Amare didn't struggle without Nash due to sample size???? That somehow Amare found superhuman adrenaline and played out of his mind for 6 games and was due to revert to a line much worse than his season averages had Nash not returned?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that's just your strawman. You really think six games is statistically significant? You really think that proves your point? Seriously, I am constantly amazed how on a POKER FORUM people cannot understand the concept of sample size.

Amare Stoudemire's percentage of assisted FGs in:

03-04: 47%
04-05: 67%
06-07: 68%

eFG% in:

03-04: .477%
04-05: .561%
06-07: .575%

Some guy named Steve Nash came to the team and won an MVP in 04-05, and nearly won one in 06-07. He passes a lot, too. WHAT A COINCIDENCE! I wonder how THAT could have happened!

You see guy, now that's statistically significant.

[ QUOTE ]
I said coming off the bench and fouls. He still had foul trouble in the playoffs. If he doesn't solve the foul trouble he'll never be much better than he was this season.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know if you've noticed or not, but foul trouble for big men doesn't tend to just magically go away. The Eddy Currys are the exception to the Mike Sweetney (or Shaquille O'Neal?) rule.

By the way, nice job leaving out that Amare shot 50% in those six games. WOW, WHAT A COINCIDENCE. Especially poor when you consider that among the teams he faced were the Sonics (27th in D efficiency), Hawks (23rd), Blazers (26th), Jazz (19th) and 76ers (15th). He also averaged 38.3 mpg in those games, a great way to boost those counting stats.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:01 PM

counting stats... one of their leading scorers is out and one of their other leading scorers gets more points.... durrr i guess thats meaningful