Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 05:10 PM

Default Re: The Dumbing Down of America

mason- You only found that information because of Google. Imagine how much smarter we'd all be if it had taken you 3 hours at the library!
Old 05-07-2007, 09:21 PM

Since I use my calculator for gaussian elimination, does that mean I is stoopid?

Since I would prefer to use spell-check and take a fraction of a second finishing a task instead of minutes I is stoopid?

Don't confuse "lean" with stupidity. Work smart, not hard!
Old 05-07-2007, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since I use my calculator for gaussian elimination, does that mean I is stoopid?

Since I would prefer to use spell-check and take a fraction of a second finishing a task instead of minutes I is stoopid?

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, you are pretty stupid for not understanding the point that they were getting at.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, you are pretty stupid for not understanding the point that they were getting at.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must feel quite brilliant for making some wise crack post that borders on trollish.

Sorry if I missed some big point here, not everybody possesses your prodigious intellect.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the problem with spell check is that it has made people lazy with regard to simple grammatical mistakes - so you will see 'to' instead of 'too' and 'your' instead of 'you're' all over because spell check won't catch these sorts of things. I think the calculator example is somewhat different, as it takes the place of simple (but time-consuming) tasks.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Calculator instead of Pen and Paper
GPS Navigation instead of a Map
Spell Checker instead of a Dictionary

[/ QUOTE ]

Only the first one actually respresents any sort of dumbing down in my opinion.

I doubt that using a nav system actually makes it impossible for anyone to use a map, or that using spell check actually decreases anyone's ability to spell (it's almost certainly the opposite), but I see every day how the use of calculators has replaced the ability to do math. This is the fault of public school math instructors though, and not the calculator itself.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
or that using spell check actually decreases anyone's ability to spell (it's almost certainly the opposite)

[/ QUOTE ]

Spellcheck does however lead to people making silly mistakes such as your instead of you're or to too and two. Often it leads to people not proofreading at all.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
or that using spell check actually decreases anyone's ability to spell (it's almost certainly the opposite)

[/ QUOTE ]

Spellcheck does however lead to people making silly mistakes such as your instead of you're or to too and two.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt this very much. It might lead them to not catching those sorts of mistakes, but it certainly doesn't lead to making them in the first place.

[ QUOTE ]
Often it leads to people not proofreading at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt that using a nav system actually makes it impossible for anyone to use a map, or that using spell check actually decreases anyone's ability to spell (it's almost certainly the opposite), but I see every day how the use of calculators has replaced the ability to do math. This is the fault of public school math instructors though, and not the calculator itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

boro -

i disagree on all three of these points. using a nav system will almost certainly deaden people to using maps, and using spellcheck means you don't have to know how to spell words. I think you're projecting your own intellectual curiosities and ability to retain information on to others. While these items increase efficiency, they also increase the possibility of lassitude as well - like any other piece of technology that replaces a simple task, people lose the ability to do those simple tasks when the technology is removed.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

boro -

i disagree on all three of these points. using a nav system will almost certainly deaden people to using maps,

[/ QUOTE ]

By what possible mechanism? It's not like people take some sort of class in map reading when they're young that no longer gets taught because of nav systems. It's a piece of paper with the roads drawn on it. The people that can't work a map are not going to be able to work it whether or not they have a nav system, and the people that understand maps are not suddenly going to become functionally retarded by the presence of a nav system.

[ QUOTE ]
and using spellcheck means you don't have to know how to spell words.

[/ QUOTE ]

It takes time to run a spell checker, and the process of running it is basically like a mini-exercise in hooked on phonics every time you use it.

[ QUOTE ]
I think you're projecting your own intellectual curiosities and ability to retain information on to others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps. But it seems much more likely that a general decline in spelling ability can be traced to the same source as the general decline in math ability, public education, rather than a tool that teaches you how to spell a word every time you get it wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
While these items increase efficiency, they also increase the possibility of lassitude as well - like any other piece of technology that replaces a simple task, people lose the ability to do those simple tasks when the technology is removed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spelling and math aren't really simple tasks. They have to be taught. That is what is missing.