Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Probability Question for David Sklansky

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd be too tempted to offer her a third alternative.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might fantasize about it, but I would take almost any odds you wouldn't seriously consider it.

[/ QUOTE ]
So, you don't believe there are many professors out there that partake of the third alternative? I think it's a higher percentage than we would like to believe. I hope I'm wrong, though.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You might fantasize about it, but I would take almost any odds you wouldn't seriously consider it.

[/ QUOTE ]
So, you don't believe there are many professors out there that partake of the third alternative? I think it's a higher percentage than we would like to believe. I hope I'm wrong, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know a few women who have admitted to doing this to secure grades. They may have been lying, the circumstances of their confessions encouraged exaggeration. I do think, however, that this is not really just some Dear Penthouse fantasy, and that this really does happen some small % of the time.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:25 PM

Borodog, are you ever worried that one of your students will find you out as a Borodog from 2+2 from the info you have provided about yourself and the pictures of yourself and your wife that you have posted? I mean, this is a pretty highly trafficked site.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know a few women who have admitted to doing this to secure grades. They may have been lying, the circumstances of their confessions encouraged exaggeration. I do think, however, that this is not really just some Dear Penthouse fantasy, and that this really does happen some small % of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard of some chicks doing it without grades even being a factor.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

So you said she is "above average" in atractiveness... hmm probably a good thing I decided not to become a college professor. I'd be too tempted to offer her a third alternative.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do people always say stuff like this?

No, you would NOT be "too tempted" to offer her a third alternative. You might fantasize about it, but I would take almost any odds you wouldn't seriously consider it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct I would not explicitly offer any such alternative.

However, there are "grey" areas here in which I could in fact be tempted. What if she put out a vibe and flirted with me during the meeting? I actually had something like that happen when I taught an undergrad class while I was a PhD student. I didn't respond because (among other reasons) I had a girlfriend at the time, but now I'm older and single. Could definitely be a problem.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:34 PM

It could happen. I don't go out of my way to make it happen, but then again I really don't go out of my way to avoid it.

However, a large decrease in my posting volume did occur when I acquired my current position. Take that for what you will.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe the four key questions all had unusually tempting "almost-right" answer choices.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah thats what i'm thinking. The main reason i dont think this is cheating is b/c the girl did a lottt better than normal, and 1 better than the guy. Unless she is usually pretty smart but just doesnt study a lot, it really doesnt fit (that she'd be confident enough to go against one of his answers).

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to be really smart to happen to remember something with confidence. It's entirely possible that she's fairly smart and lazy though, just like you said.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't fault you for following procedure, I'm just kind of surprised that you would just defer to the rules given your ACist beliefs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? He chose his job voluntarily knowing what rules he had to follow. ACists very much support voluntary contracts!
Old 04-30-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe the four key questions all had unusually tempting "almost-right" answer choices.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah thats what i'm thinking. The main reason i dont think this is cheating is b/c the girl did a lottt better than normal, and 1 better than the guy. Unless she is usually pretty smart but just doesnt study a lot, it really doesnt fit (that she'd be confident enough to go against one of his answers).

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to be really smart to happen to remember something with confidence. It's entirely possible that she's fairly smart and lazy though, just like you said.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah several of us used to copy stuff and correct the mistakes. So much more efficient than doing it yourself.

chez
Old 04-30-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, after speaking with a good friend of mine also in academia, I think letting her take the retest is too lenient, and unfair. It gives her "two bites at the apple" where the other students only had one, as my friend put it.

I will probably take his suggestion, and offer her the alternatives of either taking a zero for the test or escalating the situation to Academic Affairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

If she confessed, it's not so bad. I'd say giving her a zero would be kinda [censored] after the confession actually, since you said it would be better for her if she confessed. Maybe have her retake it but give her a half score?