Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: should I go to the concert?
Oh hellz yeah! 111 81.62%
nope 18 13.24%
I wanna see results only 7 5.15%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2007, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Ok, who\'s your NBA MVP?

If you factor in how good the team is into the equation at all it's Dirk. Otherwise it's Kobe. Some of the arguments here have convinced me his supporting cast is weaker than I gave it credit for and of course you can't ignore his recent scoring barrage. Nash is always great but there are at least two better choices this year imo.

I've seen Lebron in around ten games this year and only in stretches has he looked like an MVP. A lot of the times he just seems to ...float. Maybe he can turn it on in th playoffs again, but that's not the question.

Also, don't forget Dirk is white! /conspiracy
Old 03-28-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just because they dont give the award to people on teams with the lakers' record doesnt mean they shouldnt........if you compare the 2 supporting casts, its almost laughable

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, if the question of the thread is who is "my" MVP, i.e. who would *I* vote for, then it's Nash because I'm an unapologetic homer even though I think Dirk may deserve it more.

However, if the question is "who is actually going to win the award" then the answer is certainly NOT Kobe Bryant, unless an historical precedent is set. That said the subject seems to be our picks and not who will actually win so I appear to have been screwing this thread up all along, blah blah meowchow.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Explain this to me

1st MVP: 15.5 PPG 11.5 APG
2nd MVP: 18.9 PPG 10.5 APG

This yr so far- 18.8 PPG 11.5 APG

so if he was found to be worthy twice, by the numbers alone shouldnt he win again?

[/ QUOTE ]

But if Nash were really not worthy of these two awards, doesn't that make the point moot?

[/ QUOTE ]but the same voters are voting(I assume) so they do not agree with you that he wasn't worthy.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I put some down on Kobe at 4/1, so here's hoping he wins it.

Dirk should though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Put some on me? I'll give 6 to 1 Kobe does NOT win mvp.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you think he won't win it. Because he doesn't deserve to win it doesn't mean he won't.
edit: I'm not sure I really think he'll win it either. But Dirk was at 1/5, and that's no fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think kobe deserves to win. It also doesn't help his MVP chances considering how everyone turned into a kobe-hater.

Kobe is individually talented. He fails to understand the big picture (maybe cuz he never went to college). Phil Jackson can only do so much on the bench. As a result, the Lakers suffer. The lakers will never become a .700 team that Dallas, Spurs, Suns are in the next three years.

So why should Kobe be rewarded an MVP if his team isn't a legit contender.

I'll also lay 2:1 odds that the lakers do not make it out of the first round.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, his team sucks! Its not his fault. The Lakers will absolutely become a .700 team if Bynum continues to improve and Odom stays healthy.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So how is it really hands down that Dirk is MVP?

[/ QUOTE ]
Dallas is 59-11. Lakers are 38-33. Hope this helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

lollerskates. Seriously, that is the worst argument ever. So bc Dirk has J. Howard, Stack, Harris and Terry, he deserves MVP? Kobe has an injured Odom, Walton (lol), Smush (lol) and Kwame (lol). Its the MVP not MVT.

[/ QUOTE ]
Irrelevant. They don't give MVPs out to players on teams hovering around .500. Although I don't plan to research it, I think the average number of wins by the MVP's team is around 60 (nearly .750 ball), and Nash winning when the Suns only won 54 games last year was a bit of an outlier.

[/ QUOTE ]

The question of the thread was not who will win, its who do you think should win. So the fact that the voting comittee traditionally doesn't give it to players on teams around .500 is completely meaningless to the debate.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The question of the thread was not who will win, its who do you think should win. So the fact that the voting comittee traditionally doesn't give it to players on teams around .500 is completely meaningless to the debate.

[/ QUOTE ]
Which I picked up on and corrected in a later post. Seriously Assani, I regularly come across these series' of posts by you where it's clear you didn't read the entire thread before responding a bunch of times. Why don't you give that a try for awhile.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:27 PM

Assani,

I probably like you as a poster more than most people in SE, but I agree with tuq here. Read the threads, try to cut down on responses that have already been said.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:52 PM

MVP: Dirk

However, Kobe is why they ought to have a "Player of the Year" award, as well...an award that's not about recognizing the best individual contribution to team excellence (which seems to be what the MVP is in the minds of voters)...but an award that is solely about individual performance on the court throughout the course of a season. That, IMO, would have to go to Kobe this year, if they had an award like that.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Kobe
2. Duncan
3. Dirk
4. Nash
Somewhere quite a bit later. Lebron

[/ QUOTE ]
for this regular season? duncan over dirk?
Old 03-28-2007, 05:24 PM

my vote goes to dirk with kobe/duncan close behind...