Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2007, 12:32 PM

Default It\'s Manpurse Time

Call it a manpurse, call it a murse. I'm sick of having [censored] in my pockets, I'm sick of needing to grab a plastic supermarket bag when I bring my lunch to work, and I don't like briefcases.

Once the idea started brewing, I wanted to try it out before I committed. So I've been carrying this for the last week:

It's been working out pretty well, and I've determined that a manpurse is for me. It's pretty luggage-y, though, so a stylish guy like me needs something a little snappier. I'm not sure a standard messenger bag would work, because the bag isn't just for books and files, I'll occasionally want to put something more substantial in there.

OK, you stylish urban metro types of the EDGDF, what can you recommend?
Old 03-23-2007, 12:37 PM

Default Re: It\'s Manpurse Time

LFS,

"I'm not sure a standard messenger bag would work, because the bag isn't just for books and files, I'll occasionally want to put something more substantial in there."

Not sure what you would want to carry that couldn't be carried in a messenger bag. Generally the only issue with messenger bags is that they are too casual in styling for certain business environments where a briefcase or "portfolio" (small briefcase) type case is more appropriate to carry.

These are the SF standard for everyday carry stuff bag:
http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/retail/ca...?categoryId=84
Old 03-23-2007, 12:41 PM

Most of those look kind of femmy...
Old 03-23-2007, 12:44 PM

LF Slim - If you want to carry something "substantial", I can see how alot of bags intended for business (like a document holder, porfolio, briefcase whatever) don't work. Basically what it sounds like you need is a refined messenger bag.

Vaja Bag

How about that one? Or is that too "messenger bag" like?

Diablo - you must also have a ton of VC / Banking conference bags kind of like the one Slim pictured. I just use those - I do not care if the company name / conference sponsor is emblazoned on them. They're semi-professional looking and can hold alot of stuff.

-Al
Old 03-23-2007, 12:47 PM

Just pretend you have a laptop. Problem solved.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:50 PM

Al,

I could basically create infinite Red Herring/DFJ/Goldman/etc bags/totes/duffel/fleece/jacket combinations.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:56 PM

All, is there anywhere to get a decent looking stylish backpack that can carry a laptop? (Messenger bags are so 2007, I'm predicting backpacks for 2009 once the anti-bike-messenger-chic kicks in)
Old 03-23-2007, 12:58 PM

Diablo - lol same here - I have no shame (read: I am cheap) and use / wear them all the time for work and other things.

I do not remember how I got this one, cause I only started working late 90s, but I have a Drexel Burnham (West Coast office) bag - that things owns.

-Al
Old 03-23-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Al,

I could basically create infinite Red Herring/DFJ/Goldman/etc bags/totes/duffel/fleece/jacket combinations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, even after selling a ton of them in a garage sale recently. I'm not really a fan of the feminine looking messenger bags people are posting, biut I carry something like this.

One feature I've found is important to me is an outside zippered document pocket. The bags that have flaps are inconvenient to get into so my bags pretty much have to have a large document pocket on the back.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:55 PM

Al,

That looks sweet! Do you happen to know anyplace in LA where I can see that in person?

El D,

I've been browsing the Timbuk2 stuff, but the wide selection is confounding. As far what I'll be putting in the bad, today I had my lunch (turkey burger and hot dog and two diet cokes), a file with all of Nana's medical insurance stuff, my wallet, sunglasses, keys, cell phone, iPod, and some other random crap. Sometimes I bring more than one lunch at a time, so I need even more room.