Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2007, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Crossfit Discussion

160 seems like an okay weight for 5'8" to me too. I've seen guys a couple inches shorter who weigh 30 pounds less and don't look fantastic, but are tremendous athletes and don't look terrible either. It's hard to picture them with 30-ish whole pounds of extra muscle on them not looking pretty great.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thremp,

"I just think most people lift to look better instead of lifting for any sort of performance."

I'm not disputing that. I just think your idea of what looks good includes much more bulk than most guys. I know what 5'8 160 ripped looks like, and most guys I know would not consider that small, and in fact it would be pretty close to what they aspire to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, it was my goal and I think AZK mentioned it as well. We both got there and then realized that we wanted to be bigger. Who knows how large I'll end up wanted to be. For now I'll settle for >170 and fairly ripped.

I think people also underestimate how hard it is to naturally gain mass and carry it long term above their "natural weight".

Gaining weight >>>> Losing weight
Old 09-15-2007, 09:01 PM

I have to eat really uncomfortable amounts of food to do it, and decided I was happier just trying to be strong and stay closer to my natural shape.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:23 PM

i use to want to be big, til I got big.

I hated it when I was 225 even though I was strong like bull.

Now I am 200 and loving it. Want to get about 195 at 6'2.

plus now I can do unlimited pullups(30)
Old 09-16-2007, 08:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i use to want to be big, til I got big.

I hated it when I was 225 even though I was strong like bull.

Now I am 200 and loving it. Want to get about 195 at 6'2.

plus now I can do unlimited pullups(30)

[/ QUOTE ]

195-205 ripped at 6'2" is a great weight to be at, im trying to drop the last 10 pounds or so and be around 205(im also 6 2)
Old 09-16-2007, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thremp,

"I just think most people lift to look better instead of lifting for any sort of performance."

I'm not disputing that. I just think your idea of what looks good includes much more bulk than most guys. I know what 5'8 160 ripped looks like, and most guys I know would not consider that small, and in fact it would be pretty close to what they aspire to.

[/ QUOTE ]

getting ready for day 2 of the cf cert, but i had to chime in quickly.

i have met a ton of crossfitters (yesterday) who look like this (5'8ish and 160ish, some maybe even a bit smaller) and are strong and fast. ripped, 6 packs or 8 packs, with 2x bw deads for reps, sub 5 min fran times, and big crossfit totals.

these guys ARE athletes and the LOOK like athletes. ducy?

trust me that for the general public (girls especially) this is the ideal body type over any type of bodybuilder. natural, un-natural, elite, amateur, m & f cover boy, whatever.

btw 9 page spread on crossfit coming to your favorite bodybuilding magazine very soon. should be interesting.

more to follow in the next couple days.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:36 PM

Brad Pitt is 5'11" and weighed around 155 for fight club, and many girls considered his body superb.

Bruce Lee was something like 5'8" and 130 lbs and also had a pretty ideal physique.

Actually 5'8" 160 truly ripped is actually a lot bigger than most girls want. In general for looks being lean is more important than being big.

(as another 5'8" data point, Floyd Mayweather is 5'8" and has fought between 130 and 150, at 130 he looked really lean but at 145 he looked big)
Old 09-16-2007, 04:30 PM

thremp, i used to be bigger both fat and lbm and it was fun to lift heavy weights, but like you and others have said, i really just work out/ lift weights for the health benefits and to look good in my clothes/naked. I really have no NEED for excess weight, it's also hard to keep on and i get more fat than i do lbm from it anyway...or at least i used to, now might be different. i'd much rather be ripped.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thremp, i used to be bigger both fat and lbm and it was fun to lift heavy weights, but like you and others have said, i really just work out/ lift weights for the health benefits and to look good in my clothes/naked. I really have no NEED for excess weight, it's also hard to keep on and i get more fat than i do lbm from it anyway...or at least i used to, now might be different. i'd much rather be ripped.

[/ QUOTE ]

AZK,

I don't think anyone has anything against being ripped. Mainly I think most guys could walk around bigger and ripped if they changed their diets/workouts and then went back to crossfitting.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone has anything against being ripped. Mainly I think most guys could walk around bigger and ripped if they changed their diets/workouts and then went back to crossfitting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. If only crossfit endorsed the zone and recommended starting strength as a foundation... if only...