Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Trip Report - DUI

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your name makes this post very ironic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. If you get caught riding a bicycle drunk, it's identical to getting a DUI in a car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends what state you live in. Some states have declared if bikes count, and other states it's a gray area.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My friend spent a lot of money in lawyer fees and went through a lot of hassle, but it was well worth it. He got off.

[/ QUOTE ]
See, this is what pisses me off. In the story you told, the guy was blowing a 0.04 and probably appeared/acted fine. And yet the cop, for whatever reason, was determined to take him down (quotas? being a dick? I have no clue). So it took him a lot of time and money and general hassle to deal with something that shouldn't have happened in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, he was absolutely fine. He even considered avoiding the checkpoint, but decided to go through anyways because he felt fine. Nice thought. Said once he told the cop about the two beers, it was on. FWIW, my friend's lawyer told him that this particular cop had been in trouble several times for being rough with DWI suspects. Personal vendetta, I don't know.

Cop got my friend out, shined the flashlight in my friend's eyes while barking at him to elevate his foot six inches off the ground and count backwards from thirty. So much as wobble, you fail. Don't count fast enough, you fail. Don't look directly at the cop, you fail. My friend re-enacted the test with me when I was sober, and he said I failed. Although .08 is the limit, you can get hauled in with a .04 in this state.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In other DWI news, Albuquerque now has a guy who drives around at night looking to phone in drunk drivers to the cops. Not sure how I feel about that.

[/ QUOTE ]
WTF. Is this guy some vigilante or actually being paid with your tax dollars?

[/ QUOTE ]

Vigilante, but he insists he's just a volunteer...and he's looking for more volunteers. Now that we can't use cell phones w/o hands-free while driving in ABQ, I wonder if he'll phone them in too. Land of the free my a$$.

ScottieK

[ QUOTE ]
3 simple words- GO TO TREATMENT

[/ QUOTE ]

god help me if this wasn't a joke...

I seem to remember gambling / playing cards was as much as a sin as drinking... to the Mormons.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. If you get caught riding a bicycle drunk, it's identical to getting a DUI in a car.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's kind of funny cause I had a buddy get a DUI on a bike.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's no joke. I went to school at UC Davis, which is a HUGE bike city. I know several people who got BUIs. It sounds like I was trying to be a smart-ass, but I'm 100% for serious. It's no joke.

It's unfortunate that law enforcement leaves us very few choices on how to get home after being sloshed...

1. Driving - bad bad bad bad idea
2. Biking - BUI which == DUI
3. Walking - Drunk in Public (DIP)
4. Taxi - you can still get a DIP potentially, although it's harder.
5. Friend drives you - best option, but not so much fun for the friend.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3 simple words- GO TO TREATMENT

[/ QUOTE ]

god help me if this wasn't a joke...

I seem to remember gambling / playing cards was as much as a sin as drinking... to the Mormons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bicycles,

I think he was more referring to you being in the bottom 2% of OOT posters.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's no joke. I went to school at UC Davis, which is a HUGE bike city. I know several people who got BUIs. It sounds like I was trying to be a smart-ass, but I'm 100% for serious. It's no joke.

It's unfortunate that law enforcement leaves us very few choices on how to get home after being sloshed...

1. Driving - bad bad bad bad idea
2. Biking - BUI which == DUI
3. Walking - Drunk in Public (DIP)
4. Taxi - you can still get a DIP potentially, although it's harder.
5. Friend drives you - best option, but not so much fun for the friend.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, thats the stupidest [censored] thing I've ever heard...BUI...lol
Old 03-07-2007, 07:45 PM

Wait a sec. BB, did you drive from the bar back to work? An hour and a half before you blew 0.09? At first I was thinking you did an okay job of making sure you were sobered up, but if that's the case, you didn't.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I got "pulled over" while standing in line at a convenience store once.

Hot day, had been playing sand volleyball, drinking beer for a couple of hours (we ran out, so I went for more). Prolly smelled pretty bad, but had drank only 3-4 beers.

University cop comes in and gets in line behind me. Purchase complete, I hop in the truck and get ready to leave. He came up to me, made me get out and do the sobriety tests..... I apparently failed the eyeball wiggly test.

But, he must have known that since I wasn't driving and wasn't observed breaking any laws there was nothing he could do. No probable cause to make "the stop".

He told me not to drive and that I'd be arrested if he saw me on the street that day. The store was about 2 blocks inside his jurisdiction, so I waited about 10 minutes and split.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:46 PM

classic DENIAL... ALSO YOU SUCK AT POSTING... YOU SUCK AT DRINKING AND DRIVING. IF YOU GO TO REHAB I GUARENTEE YOU WILL GET PRETTY MUCH NOTHING IT WON'T EVEN BE ON YOUR RECORD.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:47 PM

Also, when they arrested me and put me in handcuffs... I never got read my miranda rights... does this matter?

you probably have an out here....assuming they got you to admit to the simpson or peterson murders under heavy interrogation