Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2007, 10:43 PM

Default Re: I\'ve lost the desire to play poker

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
IMO some of you guys bitch are being overdramatic...

5-8 tabling while watching Entourage and making a few hundred an hour is a lot easier than some people make it out to be.

If you don't need the money and dislike playng that much, stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I basically have a very strong fear of failure and I absolutely hate losing. It takes me a while to work up the courage to start playing because if I don't play, there's no chance of losing, and I always want to leave when I'm ahead even if the game is really good. I know this runs directly counter to EV and TOP and all of the concepts that good players need to follow, but that's how my mind works. I have absolutely no desire to gamble in general.

When I'm winning I generally feel pretty good about myself but if I get caught in a bad streak I can get severely depressed. However, I feel like it would be really stupid to pass up the opportunity to build up capital while I'm still in school (it's not like I'm really busy with other things), and graduating with the ability to flat-out buy a house would be a great headstart on life. Am I being overdramatic?

[/ QUOTE ]

The emotional swings of poker take a toll on me too. For example, if I had a bad day at the table I will be much less enthusiastic about going out to social occassions. But if I'm winning I'm like hey everybody drinks are on me! To minimize this somewhat I generally play overrolled so that I don't get too upset at downswings.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

there's also the consideration that if much of the board wanted to make real money, they'd take the strasser/diablo route rather than play a game for a living - people here are smart enough to do a lot of different things if they so chose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Triumph, you have links/more info on what El D and Strassa are doing? I remember something along the lines of Strassa going into the stock market. Kind of reminds me of Psychology of Poker where Dr. Alan said if you can make a decent amount of money grinding a living in poker, you can probably make a lot more at something else.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have any links, but I believe Strasser wants to work for a hedge fund and El Diablo owns multiple businesses. My point was simply to illustrate that for people 25+ looking to make real money, poker isn't the way for 99% of them.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:05 PM

Tizerd,
Good luck. You were always sick tough at the tables.

HEK
Old 03-07-2007, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
tizerd, why don't u do something lasting (worthwhile) with your life. What the freak do u expect to happen playing cards all freaking day?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well I was playing on average 3-4 hrs a day even at my peak. That's a lot of poker, but hardly "all day." And by "worthwhile with my life" if you're referring to a career, well, I'm a board certified ER doc so that ain't too shabby.

[ QUOTE ]
Tizerd,
Good luck. You were always sick tough at the tables.

HEK

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the kind words
Old 03-07-2007, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I understand people bitching now since the new legislation(games are hard, and barely anyone sucks anymore), but pre legislation I was playing 100k hands a month like it was noting.....Really what more do you have important to do than making 1000 dollars an hour for 40 hours a week?

[/ QUOTE ]

stop projecting your loser life style on other people. maybe you have nothing better to do then live a life driven by vanity and greed but i for one do have many many much better things to do.

[/ QUOTE ]
u guys should wrestle
Old 03-07-2007, 03:50 AM

You guys make me glad I have a well balanced life. I'm not sick of poker, I don't play more then 6k hands a week, and I have other projects on the side. I still love the game, and will continue too.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:42 AM

You guys are blaming other prolblems in your life on online poker.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:49 AM

lol tizerd, i knew u were mizzles.

word though, always tough
Old 03-07-2007, 05:51 AM

Tizerd run/good play good and you'll feel much better at poker [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

I'd suggest taking a 2-3 week break then coming back and taking a close look at your game.

Also all of apathy's suggestions are very good.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i hate playing poker. i have to force myself to play the 12-15 hours a week i actually get in. and its annoying cuz the money is still sick good. oh well.

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously?

[/ QUOTE ]

theres just 10580915 things i rather do than sit in front of a computer all day and play poker. right now its the best thing for me so i do it, hopefully next year that will be different.