Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 02:43 AM

Default Re: Those who don\'t believe in life after death - Why not Kill Yoursel

[ QUOTE ]
btw i wonder how sitnhit's god would feel that he thinks life is so worthless that without the threat of eternal punishment, he wouldn't even bother living it out.

actually, the fact that sitnhit's life sucks so much that he would kill himself if not for his fear of hell makes me feel better. seriously, it sounds like his life really, really sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am absolutely certain that if I believed I had met all the criteria to guarantee eternity in heaven and believed in the proscription against suicide, I would live the most dangerous, hazardous life allowable by scripture.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Re: Those who don't believe in life after death - Why not Kill Yourself?

[/ QUOTE ]

There seems to be less reasons to kill themselves for those who don't believe in afterlife than for those who do! Am I missing something here?
Old 02-20-2007, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Re: Those who don't believe in life after death - Why not Kill Yourself?

[/ QUOTE ]

There seems to be less reasons to kill themselves for those who don't believe in afterlife than for those who do! Am I missing something here?

[/ QUOTE ]

No you have not missed anything. There is obviously a typo in the title. I have corrected it below.

[ QUOTE ]
Re: Those who do believe in life after death - Why not Kill Yourself?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-20-2007, 04:02 AM

i have a feeling that 50% (or more) of the population in non NA/european countries have no "reason" to live, meaning, they are in the "no life > bad life" category. not like that has much to do with this discussion, just a thought.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
btw i wonder how sitnhit's god would feel that he thinks life is so worthless that without the threat of eternal punishment, he wouldn't even bother living it out.

actually, the fact that sitnhit's life sucks so much that he would kill himself if not for his fear of hell makes me feel better. seriously, it sounds like his life really, really sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am absolutely certain that if I believed I had met all the criteria to guarantee eternity in heaven and believed in the proscription against suicide, I would live the most dangerous, hazardous life allowable by scripture.

[/ QUOTE ]such a life probably includes many hours of bible study and marital sex.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Alpha,

Boy I hate responding, because whenever I respond to Sitnhit, I get chastised, but here goes anyway.
Sitnhit’s God rarely, indeed almost never, subjects his creations to eternal punishment ( he’s Mormon). Instead nearly everyone is rewarded in the afterlife with varying degrees of happiness ( or heaven ). Sitnhit merely finds it overwhelmingly sad to think that consciousness becomes extinct upon death, and can’t understand how atheists, as he perceives them, can cope with such a sad notion. Sitnhit I believe does believe that suicide is a grievous sin, but however, according to his belief, a person committing suicide will merely ( most likely ) achieve the telestial kingdom ( or the lowest kingdom of heaven ) which is akin to living a life on this earth. Nothing horrible, just a permanent absence from God.

Disclaimer - If I’m wrong about Mormon theology, it’s been a while. Sue me.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:38 AM

This kind of thinking (or lack thereof), always amazes me.

If there is no life after death, then life becomes much more precious. So the question is more easily handed back to you...

If you DO believe in life after death, why not just kill yourself now and get to your final destination? While you're at it, why not kill all your loved ones as well? After all, it's not like you guys are really gonna die, right? You'll live together forever in bliss. So why not go there right now? I mean today! If you really care about the people in your life, and want eternal bliss for yourself and them, you should seriously consider killing yourself and everyone you know. Immediately! Don't wait another second. Why take the chance that a loved one will commit a mortal sin before they die and go to hell? It's your duty to kill them now to make sure they get to heaven. Hurry!
Old 02-20-2007, 07:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This kind of thinking (or lack thereof), always amazes me.

If there is no life after death, then life becomes much more precious. So the question is more easily handed back to you...

If you DO believe in life after death, why not just kill yourself now and get to your final destination? While you're at it, why not kill all your loved ones as well? After all, it's not like you guys are really gonna die, right? You'll live together forever in bliss. So why not go there right now? I mean today! If you really care about the people in your life, and want eternal bliss for yourself and them, you should seriously consider killing yourself and everyone you know. Immediately! Don't wait another second. Why take the chance that a loved one will commit a mortal sin before they die and go to hell? It's your duty to kill them now to make sure they get to heaven. Hurry!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Lestat,

When I was 8 years old and well indoctrinated, I was cursed with a logical mind, a libido, a rebellious attitude, and also a bit of weirdness. I approached a little girl my own age and asked her to skip Sunday school. When I got her outside alone, I asked her if she would like to have sex. When she looked at me with a blank expression, I explained that sex is when we go behind the bushes and I put my pee-pee in your vaginee and pee. She looked at me with such horror that I tried to remedy the situation by explaining that afterwards I could slit her throat and then I would commit suicide, and we could meet in heaven. I actually remember thinking this was a good thing to say. Well she ran away and told her parents, who told my parents, and I received a severe beating, as usual. Spare the rod, spoil the child.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Going to get a bit off topic here but just wanted to clear up one thing:

[ QUOTE ]
Remember, most of you use about 5% of ur brain and im just hitting 1%...
:-)

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you are referring to the myth that we only use 10% of our brain. This is false: http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percnt.htm

Also, for SitNHit (and others like him) I just wanted to say that I do not believe in a god of any form and I consider myself very moral. Of all of my friends (almost all of which believe in some sort of god) my one atheist friend and myself volunteer in many different ways regularly. We are both very nice people and do not need to rewarded in the afterlife in order to do good. My more religiously-inclined friends make no effort to do anything selfless despite the fact that they believe their eternal soul depends on what they do during this finite lifetime.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love how everything I say is being fact checked.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Im saying that it doesnt matter what I feel about it, it would be morally wrong to end whatever I have instored for the future. For someone who doesnt believe, it wouldnt be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah? Does your own morality depend on some Superdaddy in the sky?

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT...I don't need to read some book written thousands of years ago to tell me that I shouldn't kill someone or steal. I respect someone's right to believe in a religion, but to me that [censored] just seems so stupid, and full of such complete contradiction.

[/ QUOTE ]

SitNHit is obviously pretty naive. He isn't a troll though. He is trying to figure out why there are confusing things that happen, like atheists who don't kill themselves. In so doing, he is bound to be challenged on some of his beliefs that he might otherwise have gone his entire life treating as 'given' and 'normal.' Just look at his view on what % of people believe in the Bible or believe that atheists are narcissistic and immoral.

[/ QUOTE ]

IF your saying that I don't know every possible point of view there is to know, your right. Either do any of you, I assume, if you guys are not learning new things everyday, then sir , u must be a super genius. I'm not a troll, im just some 22 year old kid who has some questions and opinions that I should explore before I make them seem like fact to me. I have my beliefs, but that doesnt mean I shouldn't learn to be tolerant and understand others beliefs. Which is what im trying to do be starting this discussion. Now I only know what I know, which in comparison what there is to know in all history, etc is not alot. But how am I going to learn it? I can't spend the rest of my life reading books which is why these forums are nice. Since the only facts are thoese produced by a mans educated opinion, yours is as good as anybody elses.

I can't help that I believe in God and Jesus Christ and that Joseph Smith was a prophet, I had an experience that instilled in me that feeling that it was right and I just can't deny it live my life against that. But that is me.

I truly read and respect everyones opinion, although some responses seem to just be ignorant, just seems like that cause my beliefs go against yours. Anyone that is against your beliefs can be looked at as ignoring.