Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Ask TheMetetron about living in or visiting Buenos Aires, Argentin

what is the cost of living like? i've been looking at apartments on bytargentina.com, so i have a general idea of what to expect as far as an apartment goes, but what about food? (i don't want to eat fast food every meal, but i also dont want to eat at the nicest restaurant in town every night) how about transportation costs? is it easy to get everywhere in the city?

also, do they have wi-fi hotspots around the city? if an apartment doesnt have hi-speed internet, would it be hard to get the landlord to add it?

thx
Old 01-29-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK fine.

1. When Argentines make jokes about dumb people (like Polock jokes in the US), where do the stupid people come from?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The United States

[/ QUOTE ]

When they pick on other countries, usually Bolivia. That may be because they are viewed here sort of like Mexicans in the US that illegally immigrate there and take [censored] jobs that don't require any education. Within BsAs, I guess anyone from the interior of the country.

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. (probably the most important) Who is the best football player ever to put on a Sevilla jersey? (hint: it's incredibly easy to get this, if you can't watch, my avatar for a bit)
6. Know anything about this Fazio guy Sevilla just signed? He's a center back on the Argentina under 21 team.

Football sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even with all of the other good information you have given in this thread, I would really doubt that you have ever been to Argentina if I hadn't seen you in person. If you have any hope of trying to fit in here you really have to get your Diego knowledge up to par.

Concerning Fazio, I follow football here and I didn't know much about him until the news came of his transfer. This doesn't mean he isn't any good but the team he was on I believe is in the 2nd division. So he doesn't really make Sportcenter.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you travel much elsewhere in South America? If so, how would you compare those places to Argentina?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have briefly been to Brazil, (few hours) Chile (below and only for a day) and I went to Uruguay to Punta del Este for a few days. So I haven't really been around other countries in South America but I have done some traveling within Argentina. IMO, it's a shame that so many people come to this country and only see Buenos Aires and a few places around here. This country has a wealth of natural parks and beautiful places that must be seen. Here is a sample of some of the places I've been (not even a drop in the bucket though):

Glacier Perrito Moreno:

Torres del Paine (actually in Chile but right near the Argentine Border):

[image][/image]

Iguazu Falls:
[image][/image]
Old 01-29-2007, 12:26 PM

Not good at linking images. Here is the Glacier again:

[image][/image]
Old 01-29-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what is the cost of living like? i've been looking at apartments on bytargentina.com, so i have a general idea of what to expect as far as an apartment goes, but what about food?

[/ QUOTE ] Still cheap, the best value is food, especially beef. You can get some a really nice New York Strip steak (Bife de Chorizo) for $5 in a lot of places. Wine is cheap as well. Obviously in a supermarket things are really cheap too.

[ QUOTE ]
how about transportation costs? is it easy to get everywhere in the city?

[/ QUOTE ] Taxi rides start at a little less then $1. You should be able to get anywhere you want to go in the city for less then $6. Subway system is crowded during a lot of the day but is fast just as long as the place you need to go is along the line. They don't have a web like a lot of other cities. All the lines run kind of in the same direction (to downtown) and meet there. So going in a perpendicular direction of the lines is kind of tough. They cost rougly 0.25. Buses are a few cents more expensive and they have a really good network of those that run all day. This is how most people get around the city.

[ QUOTE ]
also, do they have wi-fi hotspots around the city? if an apartment doesnt have hi-speed internet, would it be hard to get the landlord to add it?

thx

[/ QUOTE ]
Not yet on the Wi-fi. You should be able to get your landlord to add internet quite easily.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Although I don't really like it much, The Kilkenney, this bar that fancies itself an Irish Pub

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this the one a few blocks from my place? I've been meaning to check it out sometime. You don't like it?
Old 01-29-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what is the cost of living like? i've been looking at apartments on bytargentina.com, so i have a general idea of what to expect as far as an apartment goes, but what about food?

[/ QUOTE ] Still cheap, the best value is food, especially beef. You can get some a really nice New York Strip steak (Bife de Chorizo) for $5 in a lot of places. Wine is cheap as well. Obviously in a supermarket things are really cheap too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Food is ridiculously cheap. I probably eat out at what would be $20+ a plate dinners in the United States for just the entree several times a week. The entrees usually run $4-6. A side of potatoes is $2. A bottle of wine at a restaurant is maybe $7-10. So if I go out with a few friends it is under $10 with tip for what would be a $30-40 meal in the USA.

It should also be noted when we give prices that includes tax (VAT). VAT is 21% here and listed in all prices (like Europe).

If you weren't like me and eat out all the time, I'm positive you could spend just a few bucks a day on food and survive just fine. I finally went to the fuiteria today and bought some apples, bananas, and oranges. I didn't notice the exact prices but it worked out to about 45 cents a pound, so fruit is fairly cheap here as well.

The other thing that is cheap is Argentine labor. So haircuts, massages, maids, etc. Maids are $2/hr, haircut with shampoo was $6, Chairman Wood can give massage prices... I haven't had the pleasure yet. Things made in Argentina are very cheap as well (leather, beef, etc).

I'd say outside from rent, the cost of living is approximately 1/3 of the cost of living in say California.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
how about transportation costs? is it easy to get everywhere in the city?

[/ QUOTE ] Taxi rides start at a little less then $1. You should be able to get anywhere you want to go in the city for less then $6. Subway system is crowded during a lot of the day but is fast just as long as the place you need to go is along the line. They don't have a web like a lot of other cities. All the lines run kind of in the same direction (to downtown) and meet there. So going in a perpendicular direction of the lines is kind of tough. They cost rougly 0.25. Buses are a few cents more expensive and they have a really good network of those that run all day. This is how most people get around the city.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually think you are a bit high on the cab ride prices, but you do live a bit farther from downtown then I do as well. I've yet to have a cab ride go over $4 so far, except the one time my accent was off and the cab driver couldn't figure out where I wanted to go so we drove in circles. Most cab rides are about $3 for me. Usually it takes no more than 10 minutes to get most places I want to go; the city is also very walkable for about 10 blocks in any direction. I've yet to take the subway or bus because I'm a lazy bastard. I really need to start though.

One day I'll take a bus into Boca and watch a football game.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

thx

[/ QUOTE ]
Not yet on the Wi-fi. You should be able to get your landlord to add internet quite easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the landlord should be able to add it to any listing on BytArgentina. You just have to make sure you make it known well in advance and you should probably be renting the place for a few months. I think 1Mbps internet is somewhere around an extra $40-50/mo.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:05 PM

I'm relinking your images. Inlines are fine I think.

Torres del Paine (Argentina/Chile Border)

Igazu Falls

La Calafate (Glacier Perrito Moreno)

So sad I haven't left BsAs yet!
Old 01-30-2007, 07:47 PM

Metetron -

After spending the day at Barnes & Nobles reading Argentina travel books, I'm leaning heavily towards a BA relocation. Any further experiences you can share regarding setting up an account with Party (and Neteller?) would be enormously appreciated.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, it's a shame that so many people come to this country and only see Buenos Aires and a few places around here. This country has a wealth of natural parks and beautiful places that must be seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beautiful country. Im curious if you travelled outside of BA by car. I like to take day trips/explore by car, and I am wondering if it is feasible to live in BA and have a car.