Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2007, 01:26 AM

Default Re: Pan\'s Labyrinth - Film by Guillermo Del Toro

sure, snagglepuss can post about pan's labyrinth but when I do it i get promoted to Major General
Old 02-11-2007, 01:31 AM

Spoilers!!!!!

She ate the grapes because she was sent to bed without any dinner for messing up the dress. And she's a child. These are very common themes in fairy tales both being sent to bed without dinner and never eating or drinking anything while visiting other realms.

That the captain doesn't see the faun is not really evidence of anything. Another very common theme in fairy tales is that adults can't or won't see magic.

There's ample evidence the magic is real - The mandrake root seem to work and the results are disasterous when it is burned. Ofelia somehow gains access to the captain's room and Mercedes finds the chalk outline of a door in Ofelia's room. The magic book predicts Ofelia's mother's bleeding. Finally, the dying old tree blooms again...
Old 02-11-2007, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Spoilers!!!!!

She ate the grapes because she was sent to bed without any dinner for messing up the dress. And she's a child. These are very common themes in fairy tales both being sent to bed without dinner and never eating or drinking anything while visiting other realms.

That the captain doesn't see the faun is not really evidence of anything. Another very common theme in fairy tales is that adults can't or won't see magic.

There's ample evidence the magic is real - The mandrake root seem to work and the results are disasterous when it is burned. Ofelia somehow gains access to the captain's room and Mercedes finds the chalk outline of a door in Ofelia's room. The magic book predicts Ofelia's mother's bleeding. Finally, the dying old tree blooms again...

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree, I like the idea of all of the magic/fairy tale elements of the story being part of the girls imagination. I think it adds another element to the story (however dismal it may be)

Reason # 13423 that this movie is excellent.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

Just saw this. Wow, lived up to the hype. Visually so amazing and well directed/acted that I bet even someone who spoke absolutely no Spanish would enjoy this even without subtitles. My Spanish is pretty horrible right now and I had to read subtitles most of the time, but I still barely even noticed doing it.

And while intense, it's actually not as gory as some of the posts/reviews had led me to believe. Just a handful of pretty graphic scenes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I beg to differ. The gratuituous violence was literally nauseating. I had to cover my eyes multiple times. AND the scary characters were really, really scary. Especially the eyeball one.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:03 AM

I didnt think it was that great. Pretty boring.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:06 AM

I've seen a few movies on recommendation from 2p2 recently; city of god, children of men, Pan's Labyrinth. I thought the first movie was good but way way overrated. I thought Children of Men was absolutely awful and dissapointed on every level. What a stupid boring movie.

Pan's Labyrinth, on the other hand, was excellent. Very well shot and kept my interest.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:25 AM

I can't work out if it had a happy ending or not. I was getting ready to shoot myself/find my copy of Amelie, then it kind of KIND OF fixed it...
Old 02-11-2007, 09:37 AM

i liked it quite a bit, very enjoyable for me

i didn't think it was too bad w/r/t gore or violence, but i wouldn't take a young kid to it
Old 02-11-2007, 04:40 PM

I really liked the movie but who or what is Pan?
Old 02-11-2007, 04:51 PM

Pan is the faun.