Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2006, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Prop bet: 5.2 mile run

I'm 34, average shape, and I never work out. A co-worker said he ran around Valley Forge Park (exactly 5.2 miles) in an hour, and I bet I could do the same.

It took me 48 minutes. If this guy is under 40 and has both of his legs, you'll lose.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:22 PM

Default Results

Ok, i just got back. i followed him on a bike while holding a stopwatch. there were also some rules layed down: if he couldnt finish for any reason including pulling a muscle, getting hurt, or just a freak occurance that he gets hit by a car, i win. if he comes to an intersection and has to wait for the light to change or something, he gets no time taken off (he almost balked at this, but agreed). he also told me that he's only ran a mile "maybe twice" and that was back in high school and that he's never done more than a mile. he smoked a blunt about two hours before the start. the final bet was for $800

here's a play-by-play:

5 minutes in: starts wheezing

14 minutes in: stops running sits down on a bench, starts coughing uncontrollably. says that he's lightheaded. this lasts 2-3 minutes and is followed by him walking for a little bit.

24 minutes in: again stops and sits down on a bench, starts coughing really bad again, spits up a large amoung of phlem with blood in it. between coughs, asks me to buy him water at the gas station near by. i refuse saying that he should have prepared for this. he attempts to argue but is in no shape to be arguing. he has no money on him so i tell him i'll give him the money, but he has to go in and buy the water himself with no time taken off. he begrudgingly agrees and does that. there was a line, but he just took the $2 i gave him and put it down on the counter and walked out with the water. this took about 4 minutes. he walks for a little after this.

46 minutes in: he's been running (and walking a little) straight through from his last stop, realizing that he coughs when he stops, but finally stops for a few seconds and starts coughing again. this lasts about a minute. i know where we are and think i've got this won. i tell him this and try and make him forfeit. he claims that he's gonna be 'sprinting' from here on out though. his 'sprinting' doesnt really last too long.

60 minutes in: he's about half a mile from the finish, totally deflated, and i tell him its over. he quits and walks the rest of the way.

if he kept running he probably would have done it in about 1 hour, 6-7 minutes. the coughing really took its toll and he really did 'hit the wall' way sooner than he expected to. he seemed finished around that 14 minute mark. he's paying me $100 a month.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Results

wow. Just wow.

I think your friend needs to go to a hospital or something cuz he sounds terminally ill or is the biggest pussbag ever. I seriously could walk this in an hour. And he prolly would been better of doing the same it sounds like

Nice win.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:33 PM

Incredible. I'm pretty sure I did a 13 minute mile in 8th grade when I jogged for like a lap and then spent the rest of the time walking and talking with my friends.

That your friend couldn't do this probably means he should see a doctor. "again stops and sits down on a bench, starts coughing really bad again, spits up a large amoung of phlem with blood in it."?????
Old 12-20-2006, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Incredible. I'm pretty sure I did a 13 minute mile in 8th grade when I jogged for like a lap and then spent the rest of the time walking and talking with my friends.

That your friend couldn't do this probably means he should see a doctor. "again stops and sits down on a bench, starts coughing really bad again, spits up a large amoung of phlem with blood in it."?????

[/ QUOTE ]

ive seen him cough up blood before so it wasnt totally unexpected.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow. Just wow.

I think your friend needs to go to a hospital or something cuz he sounds terminally ill or is the biggest pussbag ever. I seriously could walk this in an hour. And he prolly would been better of doing the same it sounds like

Nice win.

[/ QUOTE ]

and yes, he is a giant pussy, that's really how this bet came about. for a while i considered making a $50 sidebet with his father that his son would quit sometime during the race and never even finish.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow. Just wow.

[/ QUOTE ]
Alobar, I share your amazement that the OP's friend couldn't run 5.2 in an hour, but there's no way you could do 5.2 at a walking pace in an urban or suburban environment.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:51 PM

you said he works out and is in decent shape. sounds like neither is true.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you said he works out and is in decent shape. sounds like neither is true.

[/ QUOTE ]

well he's not fat, and he does do some kind of weight lifting in his room a few times a week. thats what i meant by working out.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but there's no way you could do 5.2 at a walking pace in an urban or suburban environment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I offered to back my statement up, 5 miles in one hour walking. Ill be more than happy to accept any wagers