Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2006, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Kill Phil Calculator

[ QUOTE ]
[*]I get the feeling that Lee did not appreciate my original chart (I think it only helped to increase curiosity and sales in the 2+2 community, but what do I know).

[/ QUOTE ]
For what it's worth, I downloaded your chart, and I still bought both the Kill Phil book and the strategy cards. I bought the book based on the buzz in this forum and would not have known about it otherwise.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:08 PM

I bought the book as well and am considering the charts. Are the charts worthwhile in addition to the charts posted here?
Old 02-04-2006, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've received several PMs about my program. I am apprehensive about releasing it, because...
[*]It does a little more than just calculate. My version parses a PartyPoker hand history and fills in the information for you (thus the File and Options menus).<ul type="square">[*]My fear is that one could easily create an AHK script for an instant bot.[*]The other problem is that if Party changes their HH format (seems to happen often), I don't want to be flooded with support questions.[/list][*]My version uses SAGE instead of moving in every hand when heads-up, so it's not exactly a Kill Phil calculator.[*]I get the feeling that Lee did not appreciate my original chart (I think it only helped to increase curiosity and sales in the 2+2 community, but what do I know). The program on the other hand could be seen as a replacement for buying the book (not my intent...go buy the book and the charts damn it).

So if you send me a PM requesting a copy, you will not be getting a response from me. Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the same fears, that's why I wrote it the way I did. I've been surprised by how many people and companies have contacted me offering to finance turning it into a bot. I "assumed" that most of us consider writing bots to be unethical.

Bill
Old 02-05-2006, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I had the same fears, that's why I wrote it the way I did. I've been surprised by how many people and companies have contacted me offering to finance turning it into a bot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did I go into networking and not programming?
Old 02-05-2006, 08:11 AM

Hmm, why arent those lookup charts in the book to begin with? I was considering buying the book, but it sounds rather incomplete/less usefull if there isnt a quick way to lookup stuff in it.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, why arent those lookup charts in the book to begin with? I was considering buying the book, but it sounds rather incomplete/less usefull if there isnt a quick way to lookup stuff in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, I just hate having to remember stuff I read today to use tommorrow. What a jopke of a book.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
go buy the book and the charts

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for the record, I too bought the book and ordered the cards as a direct result of seeing your chart.

Now that the official cards are available I'll mention that your chart, good as it is, is more complicated than it needs to be. A couple examples: Since group 1 and 2 hands are always played the same way, they could be combined in the chart. Medium &gt;4x CPR Raised by M, L, SB are identical and could have been combined.

I haven't received my strategy cards yet but assuming they use a more compact form, there is a reason to buy them.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[*]I get the feeling that Lee did not appreciate my original chart (I think it only helped to increase curiosity and sales in the 2+2 community, but what do I know).

[/ QUOTE ]
For what it's worth, I downloaded your chart, and I still bought both the Kill Phil book and the strategy cards. I bought the book based on the buzz in this forum and would not have known about it otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-07-2006, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've received several PMs about my program. I am apprehensive about releasing it, because...

<ul type="square">[*]It does a little more than just calculate. My version parses a PartyPoker hand history and fills in the information for you (thus the File and Options menus).[*]My fear is that one could easily create an AHK script for an instant bot.[*]The other problem is that if Party changes their HH format (seems to happen often), I don't want to be flooded with support questions.[*]My version uses SAGE instead of moving in every hand when heads-up, so it's not exactly a Kill Phil calculator.
[*]I get the feeling that Lee did not appreciate my original chart (I think it only helped to increase curiosity and sales in the 2+2 community, but what do I know). The program on the other hand could be seen as a replacement for buying the book (not my intent...go buy the book and the charts damn it).[/list]
So if you send me a PM requesting a copy, you will not be getting a response from me. Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ha. I wrote something quite similar in javascript once. At the time, I thought it was because I was too lazy to learn how to make cross-platform GUIs in a real language. I'm pleased to learn that it was actually a sophisticated effort at bot-thwarting on my part [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 02-10-2006, 07:25 PM

I wrote a version in Excel/VBA which would be difficult to turn into a bot. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also a lot simpler than C++ for us applications guys.