Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2006, 10:10 PM

Default Re: !! Legislation Concerns II, Going Forward -- HERE !!

The bill also makes it illegal to accept wagers. I still don't see how US jurisdiction extends to pokerstars in this case. I was thinking the other day about where the wager is actually accepted. If you click the bet button and the server goes down between you and pokerstars, you have made a wager, but pokerstars has not accepted it. To me this illustrates that the actual acceptance of the wager takes place off of US soil and is therefore out of US jurisdiction. Anyone who knows better than I feel fro to correct me.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The bill also makes it illegal to accept wagers. I still don't see how US jurisdiction extends to pokerstars in this case. I was thinking the other day about where the wager is actually accepted. If you click the bet button and the server goes down between you and pokerstars, you have made a wager, but pokerstars has not accepted it. To me this illustrates that the actual acceptance of the wager takes place off of US soil and is therefore out of US jurisdiction. Anyone who knows better than I feel fro to correct me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know the international rules, but the U.S. will probably arrest these people from other countries who are "accepting wagers" if they get the chance. This would include if they set foot into this country, and possibly extradition if their home country is friendly enough with the U.S.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know the international rules, but the U.S. will probably arrest these people from other countries who are "accepting wagers" if they get the chance. This would include if they set foot into this country, and possibly extradition if their home country is friendly enough with the U.S.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they did come to the US they may be subject to arrest, but I don't know how it would hold up in court. I don't think extradition would ever happen in a situation like this as it would be impossible to commit a crime under US law for one not under US jurisdiction.

But who knows
Old 10-22-2006, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If they did come to the US they may be subject to arrest, but I don't know how it would hold up in court. I don't think extradition would ever happen in a situation like this as it would be impossible to commit a crime under US law for one not under US jurisdiction.

But who knows

[/ QUOTE ]

the fact that the US made this law is one of the many reasons why none of the applicable countries would ever allow extradition in this case.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:46 AM

Chaps, I know that Americans think big, but you still can't pass laws which apply in other countries ... a gaming site can only break US law if it accepts a wager within the US jurisdiction. You'll be trying to extradite my 18 year old son next for having a beer under the age of 21. You can't extradite if no crime is committed, pokerstars is not committing any crime.
The problem arises because stars has been working with investment banks to go public, ie the founders get to sell their shares to the general public. A company which wants to sell shares to US citizens and organisations must comply with certain US law. So going public is a problem for Stars. I think they are watching Party closely to see whether the non-US pie is big enough. If it is, then they can proceed with their IPO and say goodbye to US players. If they think they will make more money as a private company then US players are safe, IMHO.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:45 PM

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered on several occasions but do we know if PokerStars or any other site still open to the US will still be able to allow US players to play after the 270 days? A simple answer or a link to where this has been answered more in depth will work for me.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure this question has been asked and answered on several occasions but do we know if PokerStars or any other site still open to the US will still be able to allow US players to play after the 270 days? A simple answer or a link to where this has been answered more in depth will work for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its gonna be all good AFAIK.

Indy
Old 11-07-2006, 09:29 AM

While you need to vote today, based on many concerns, if you live in one of these districts please punish the guys who voted to ban online Poker (these are the ones in tight races):

Arizona: Senator John Kyle has been m ore toxic than Frist
California: Doolittle and Pombo are in tight races, they voted against you.
Connecticutt: Shays and Simmons do not deserve another chance to meddle.
Colorado: O'donnell and Musgrave are against you
Florida: Shaw cant win unless you let him.
Indiana: Chocola and Sodrel both can be releected only in you are passive.
Kentucky: NO WAY Should Davis or Lewis make the final table.
New Mexico: Help Heather Wison bust out.
North Carolina: Shuler the quarterback, should be elected over Banker Hayes.
New York: Thumbs down to Pedophile-protector Reynolds who wnt protect you.
Ohio: Schmidt is silly, shrill, and bans poker..
Pennsylvania: Gelach, Hart (a co-sponsor), Weldon and Sherwood
Virginia: Drake, and cosponsor Goodlette, although prude Goodlette is likely safe. Senator Allen helped Frist, but he is already busted out..
Washington: Reichert needs to go.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While you need to vote today, based on many concerns, if you live in one of these districts please punish the guys who voted to ban online Poker (these are the ones in tight races):

Arizona: Senator John Kyle has been m ore toxic than Frist
California: Doolittle and Pombo are in tight races, they voted against you.
Connecticutt: Shays and Simmons do not deserve another chance to meddle.
Colorado: O'donnell and Musgrave are against you
Florida: Shaw cant win unless you let him.
Indiana: Chocola and Sodrel both can be releected only in you are passive.
Kentucky: NO WAY Should Davis or Lewis make the final table.
New Mexico: Help Heather Wison bust out.
North Carolina: Shuler the quarterback, should be elected over Banker Hayes.
New York: Thumbs down to Pedophile-protector Reynolds who wnt protect you.
Ohio: Schmidt is silly, shrill, and bans poker..
Pennsylvania: Gelach, Hart (a co-sponsor), Weldon and Sherwood
Virginia: Drake, and cosponsor Goodlette, although prude Goodlette is likely safe. Senator Allen helped Frist, but he is already busted out..
Washington: Reichert needs to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the heads up. I can't wait to vote these mother [censored] out.

Indy