Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2006, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on high-end shoe salespeople RANT

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yup... but you probably have one pair that cost more than all of these combined.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

probably not. My most expensive pair is $590, but even I know thats sick, i wont do it again. i usually buy my shoes at sample sales, I save a small fortune.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering that about half the pairs listed here were cheap or free, that may be about how much the whole set cost me. The only ones I bought retail were the loafers and the Bostonians.

Also - sample sales?

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to a sample sale just a few days ago - the Prada sample sale is happening this week, its probably the most anticipated sample sale in NYC - www.pradasamplesale.com. Sample sales are how clothing companies get rid of their unsold merchandise at the close of a season, or the sample product that is worn only by fit models for fashion shows/truck shows/or for buyers. A little know fact, when you see a fashion show the clothing is usually just a concept only, buyers decide what they want to order from the collection and then its sent out for manufacturing. 6 months later its in your department store, its an odd way to work but it keeps costs down I guess.

Old 08-23-2006, 04:01 PM

whoa, will you take me to a sample sale with you? that would be funny. I promise to buy something silly.

NT
Old 08-23-2006, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was alone buying my g/f at the time some bag at holt renfrew and the salesperson (gay of course - gay people tend to be much more judgemental in this respect) was like "(in lisp of course) tssssss ummmm....I think that number is a little pricey for you"

[/ QUOTE ]

When did he say it to you? At the register? Or away from the register?

If away, this is a pretty common sales tactic. If at, he was just being a moron.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was suprised to learn this. A salesman friend of mine told me he loved to tell people that an item looked too pricy for them - because it pissed the customer off and the customer would be more inclined to buy the item just to spite the salesman and show him that he can afford it.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much do people who work at high-end retail places like this make per year?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the set-up. When I did it, it was draw/commission setup.
Basically I made $10/hr. To earn the $10/hr I had to sell $100/hr worth of shoes. At the end of the month whatever I was over I got 10% of as commission. If I did not sell $100/hr for the whole month I was in debt and the debt carried over to the next month. If you didnt get out that month your pay was cut and if you werent out by the next month you were fired. And returns did count against you.

I started out doing well, then realized it was the worst job ever and quit trying. There was one lady there who probably made 60-70K/yr selling shoes. There were a handful of others who were around $40-50K.

It was a tough and [censored] job. The turnover was unbelievable. If you got behind one month it was very very hard to get out.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:55 PM

El,

WTF is a shoe tree?
Old 08-23-2006, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
El,

WTF is a shoe tree?

[/ QUOTE ]

Google is your friend
Old 08-23-2006, 05:06 PM

Old 08-23-2006, 05:08 PM

All,

Since my foot is so large I can't buy trendy shoes and boots, but I did go out shoe shopping with my roomate today and saw these and couldn't help but think of the Waffen SS meets gay cowboy.

What do you guys think?

Old 08-23-2006, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

Since my foot is so large I can't buy trendy shoes and boots

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you might be wrong about that, although you may have to pay top price. Visit Nordstrom's, yoox.com, thats the best retail options. My favorite dress shoe is A. Testoni, they are expensive but they do shoes for the ballers so they can handle you. Other option is to just visit the websites of brands you like and call their corporate headquarters with your shoe size, they can hook you up easily.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:51 PM

i also get pissed off when waiters at high end restaurants overly fawn about your selections... "ah yes sir, the veal is the best ive ever had"... "the cabernet is one of the best bottles in our cellar"... STFU. its ok to say "good choice" or "its one of my favorites" once in a while when it genuine and for real. in general most high end waiters need to tone it down a bit. i dont need my napkin folded when i get up to take a piss.